Favorite Quotes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:24:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Favorite Quotes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Favorite Quotes  (Read 6632 times)
Bugs

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2004, 12:09:49 PM »

"If you were my husband, I'd put poison in your tea!"
"If you were my wife, I'd drink it"-Churchill.

Thats all I can think of atm.

Here's one from Churchill I especially like:

Woman: "Winston Churchill, you are drunk."
Churchill: "Drunk I may be, madam, but you are ugly, and in the morning, I will be sober."

Churchill had frequent exchanges with the same woman, though I forget who she was.  Once they came to a doorway at the same time and she stepped aside and said, "Age before beauty."  He stepped through the door and said, "Pearls before swine."
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2004, 12:21:09 PM »

"If you were my husband, I'd put poison in your tea!"
"If you were my wife, I'd drink it"-Churchill.

Thats all I can think of atm.

Here's one from Churchill I especially like:

Woman: "Winston Churchill, you are drunk."
Churchill: "Drunk I may be, madam, but you are ugly, and in the morning, I will be sober."

Churchill had frequent exchanges with the same woman, though I forget who she was.  Once they came to a doorway at the same time and she stepped aside and said, "Age before beauty."  He stepped through the door and said, "Pearls before swine."

Bessie Braddock, Labour MP.
raymondluxuryyacht
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2004, 02:16:05 PM »

I like the one by the Union general, I forget his name.
"Don't worry lieutenant, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis--".

Vlad the Impaler had a good one. "Everyone I don't like should die."

And my favorite is in my signature.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2004, 02:38:06 PM »

One of my favorite quotes was from a very quiet man. There's no political or deep meaning to this quote but I've always found this man who had little to say so interesting.

"You lose." - Calvin Coolidge

I think this was his response to the woman who told him she bet her friend that she could ge Coolidge to say MORE than two words.

Yep. Like I said, it's nothing inspirational but I find it to be a good quote.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2004, 03:03:00 PM »

"PRESS ON. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing in the world is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
Calvin Coolidge

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule. " H. L. Mencken

"As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated. What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." Bible(Romans 9: 13-15)

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2004, 03:08:13 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I love this quote
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2004, 07:06:20 PM »

I like the one by the Union general, I forget his name.
"Don't worry lieutenant, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis--".

Lt. General Sedgewick. And actually that is not really true. He did say the whole sentence before he was shot.

"The couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." then about one minute later he was shot from a distance of over a mile.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2004, 07:51:19 PM »

"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

That is a great quote. We all need to learn it.

Did he say something like "The purpose of a newspaper is to afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted" or was just his character in Inherit the Wind?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2004, 11:54:42 AM »

"To be Governed is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so. To be Governed is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be place[d] under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted from, squeezed, hoaxed, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, the first word of complaint, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed, disarmed, bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, dishonored. That is government; that is its justice; that is its morality." Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2004, 11:59:11 AM »

"The price of Liberty is not so much Eternal Vigilance as Eternal Dirt." George Orwell
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2004, 12:37:52 PM »

Another nice Orwell quote, also from The Road to Wigan Pier:
"A middle-class child is taught almost simultaneously to wash his neck, to be ready to die for his country, and to despise the 'lower classes'."
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2004, 03:54:25 PM »

Hm...I don't know if I recall those 100% correctly, but anyway:

Winston Churchill:

"An empty cab drove up in front of the parliament and Clement Attlee stepped out of it"

"I prepare all my best improvisations at least 5 hours in advance"

Finally, overheard by a neighbour, while walking around in his garden, or so the story goes...

"Mr. Speaker, I had not planned to intervene at this point, but..."

And, a few of my favourite movie quotes:

"You did all this for a little bit of money? There's more to life than a little bit of money, you know? Don't you know that?"

"My friends died face down in the mud in Vietnam so that you and I could sit here and enjoy this family restaurant! Hey, Dude, where are you going? This concerns all of us! It's abot fundamental rights!

I'm finishing my coffee."
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2004, 04:07:00 PM »

"Our prime objective is to create jobs"

- Tory manifesto of 1997, page 9

"Governments cannot create jobs"

Tory manifesto of 1997, page 10

(or so I've read Cheesy)

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2004, 04:09:36 PM »

"Yossarian had done his best to warn him the night before. "You haven't got a chance, kid" he had told him glumly. "They hate Jews."

"But I'm not Jewish", answered Clevinger.

"It will make no difference", Yossarian promised, and Yossarian was right. "They're after everybody."

I'm reareading this book currently... Cheesy
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2004, 04:14:12 PM »

"Yossarian had done his best to warn him the night before. "You haven't got a chance, kid" he had told him glumly. "They hate Jews."

"It will make no difference", Yossarian promised, and Yossarian was right. "They're after everybody."

I love Catch-22.. it is worth re-reading several times.  Not a bad movie either.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2004, 04:23:21 PM »

I love Catch-22.. it is worth re-reading several times.  Not a bad movie either.

Yeah, it's great. Cheesy haven't seen the movie though.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2004, 04:39:13 PM »

I unfortunately never got a chance to finish it, was very busy around the time I was reading it.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2004, 05:59:44 PM »

I have several.

"I've learned the difference between a cactus and a caucus. On a cactus, the pricks are on the outside." -- Morris Udall

"If the Republicans will stop telling lies about Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them." -- Adlai Stevenson

"The right to speak does not automatically include the right to be heard." -- Hubert Humphrey

"Behind every sucessful man is a proud wife and a stunned mother-in-law." -- Hubert Humphrey.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2004, 09:49:38 PM »

"People often say, with pride, "I'm not interested in politics." They might as well say, "I'm not interested in my standard of living, my health, my job, my rights, my freedoms, my future or any future."

-- Martha Gellhorn

"I've yet to be on a campus where most women weren't worrying about some aspect of combining marriage, children, and a career. I've yet to find one where many men were worrying about the same thing."

--Gloria Steinem
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2004, 10:01:29 PM »

Check out my signature for some of my favorites!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2004, 05:02:08 AM »

I unfortunately never got a chance to finish it, was very busy around the time I was reading it.
Nothing could be as important as finishing to read this book. Go back to it this instant.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2004, 04:49:56 PM »

Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people abuse the privilege - Josef Stalin (NO, I DON'T LIKE HIM, I JUST LIKE THE QUOTE)

Remember, no matter how much the idiots outnumber you by, they're still idiots - Daria

Perfect quotes for an elitest jerk.  Wink
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2004, 04:55:47 PM »

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.   
-Winston Churchill

You can fool some of the people some of the time, and you might be able to fool all of the people some of the time, but you will never fool all of the people all of the time.
-Abraham Lincoln

Whatever you are, be a good one.
-Abraham Lincoln

Hmmm, let me think of some more.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2004, 01:06:36 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2004, 01:12:47 PM by Gubernatorial Candidate, Senator Bono »

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the Public Treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits from the Public Treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy always followed by dictatorship.
- Alexander Tyler,"The Decline and Fall of the Athenian Republic"

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
- Ronald Reagan, 1986.

Everything the government touches turns to crap; It's called the 'Reverse Midas Touch'.
- Paul Craig Roberts, Cato Institute

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm - but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves."
- T.S. Eliot, 1950.

"Nothing is easier than spending public money. It does not appear to belong to anybody. The temptation is overwhelming to bestow it on somebody."
- Calvin Coolidge

"Cures were developed for which there were no known diseases."
- Ronald Reagan, on Congress and the federal budget, 1981.

I find it ironic that many people who have spent years fighting to keep government from legislating restrictions on the private medical decisions concerning abortion between women and their physicians are now willing to effectively outlaw private medical practice and place abortion, along with all other medical practice, directly within the purview of government.
 - Anonymous
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2004, 01:10:17 PM »

It is often easier for our children to obtain a gun than it is to find a good school.
- Joycelyn Elders

Maybe that's because guns are sold at a profit, while schools are provided by the government.
- David Boaz
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies