GOP may OK end to payroll tax cut.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:56:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP may OK end to payroll tax cut.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: GOP may OK end to payroll tax cut.  (Read 3468 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 02:28:43 PM »

If the GOP was willing to raise income and "wealth" taxes (capital gains, dividends, etc.) significantly, that would be one thing.

But they aren't. The GOP's MO is to cut taxes on the upper-class, raise taxes or slash spending on the poor (either way, same effect), and do nothing about the Alternative Minimum Tax, which wipes out tax cuts to the middle class.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 02:32:22 PM »

For the record, I advocated a payroll tax cut shortly after we hit the dumps. It was better then, than now, after we have shot so much of our wad.

Haven't shot a thing, Torie.  The government can still take over the economy.

TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 09:22:44 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2011, 09:24:49 PM by ICE HOCKEY »

Teabagger mantra: "Ya knew youse gots da gime 'dem tax ceets to da reech folk.  Dey spend dat muny on us 'po folk if we jest givm da muny.  Da Lord Jebus Chrest make 'dem trickle dat muny down to us I reckon.  Obumma is a Commie Nazi Muslim and ain't white n Christun like us folks."

Reality- It's not much different than the above.  Our country actually still wants to support "tax cuts."
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 09:36:04 PM »

I can see their point about a short-term tax cut being much less stimulative than a long term one. The problem is, its also a lot harder to pay for. 

But even a short term payroll tax has far more stimulative value for spuring consumption than even a long term upper income tax cut.

The Republicans really have gotten barefaced haven't they? Their entire policy revolves around two things: Will it do little for those who write our major campaign checks, and is Obama for it? If the answer to both is yes, we oppose it.

Utterly shameless.
This is a rare thing, but I actually agree with you. I am extremely disappointed by how the Republicans are handling this.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 01:46:56 AM »

What is the goal of reducing the payroll tax? Small scale, tax-based stimulus efforts have proven ineffective and would only further increase the deficit. If we are going to reduce any taxation, lets make it the regressive corporate tax (flat rate with an elimination of deductions, loopholes, and credits) that would put us on a competitive level globally and hopefully bring jobs back to the US. There is no guarantee that it would work, but it sounds more reasonable to me than doling out another low-income tax cut in the hope that enough people purchase t-shirts and Doritos with the savings to create jobs for everybody.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies