I'm ON drugs!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:51:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  I'm ON drugs!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I'm ON drugs!  (Read 8854 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2004, 01:26:49 AM »
« edited: December 17, 2004, 12:21:52 PM by EarlAW »

Here is my Ontario! (I might do the rest of Canada some other time but we'll start with Ontario)

The average population per US district is 646,947, which goes into Ontario's population roughly 18 times which for Ontario is 633,891 per district. Each district is within 2.5% of this number.

If you dont see the map, click here: http://img153.exs.cx/img153/1797/ontariocd0fp.png

ON-1 640,974 (+1.1)
Kenora, Rainy River, Thunder Bay, Greater Sudbury, Manitoulin, Algoma, Cochrane and Timiskaming
Major cities: Thunder Bay, Sudbury, Timmins, Sault Ste. Marie
Notes: Sparesly populated, is over half the area of Ontario. Signifigant francophone minority. Would probably vote Liberal with NDP in second.

ON-2 624,958 (-1.4)
Sudbury, Nipissing, Renfrew, Lanark, Haliburton, Peterborough, Kawartha Lakes, Muskoka, Parry Sound and in Simcoe:
Severn, Ramara, Orillia, Tay, Rama first nation
Major cities: North Bay, Orillia, Peterborough, Pembroke, Lindsay
Notes: Also sparesly populated cottage country- is the gateway to the north. Both the Conservatives and the Liberals would have a chance here.

ON-3 634,035  (+0.0)
Ottawa: former municipalities of Ottawa, Osgoode, Nepean, Gloucester, Rockliffe Park, Vanier; SDG: North Dundas; LG: North Grenville
Major cities: Ottawa, Gloucester, Nepean
Notes: Very urban district except for a few rural townships. Strong Liberal.

ON-4 633,900 (-0.1)
Ottawa: former municipalities of West Carleton, Rideau, Goulbourn, Kanata, Cumberland;
Prescott and Russell, Lennox and Addington, Frontenac, Prince Edward;
Leeds and Grenville: Athens, Augusta, Brockville, Edwardsburgh/Cardinal, Elizabethtown-Kitley, Front of Yonge, Gananoque, Leeds and the Thousand Islands, Merrickville-Wolford, Prescott, Rideau Lakes, Westport
Hastings: Belleville, Deseronto
Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry: Cornwall, North Glengarry, North Stormont, South Dundas, South Glengarry, South Stormont
Major cities: Kanata, Cornwall, Brockville, Kingston, Belleville
Notes: Fairly rural district, mostly Conservative except in Kingston and in largely francophone Prescott and Russell and Cumberland.

ON-5 625,084 (-1.4)
Essex, Chatham-Kent, Elgin, Norfolk
Major cities: Windsor, Chatham, Leamington, St. Thomas
Notes: Mix of urban and rural. Labour Unions strong in Windsor, however due to rural nature of the rest of also fairly conservative in many parts. District would probably go to the Conservatives with the Liberals and NDP very strong as well.

ON-6 629,426 (-0.7)
Lambton, Oxford, Middlesex
Major cities: London, Woodstock, Sarnia
Notes: Similar to #5 except less labour unions and more Liberal.

ON-7 630,368 (-0.6)
Niagara, Haldimand, Brant;
Waterloo: North Dumfries
Hamilton: Former municipality of Stoney Creek
Major cities: Niagara Falls, Stoney Creek, St. Catharines, Welland, Brantford
Mix of urban Niagara region and rural Haldimand Brant and Niagara. The Conservatives and Liberals would both do well here.
ON-8 635,124 (+0.2)
Former city of Hamilton; Halton: Oakville and Burlington
Major cities: Hamilton, Oakville, Burlington
Notes: Anything can happen here, as the Conservatives have traditionally done well in Oakville and Burlington and the NDP in Hamilton, however the Liberals are quite strong as well.

ON-9 633,546 (-0.1)
Grey, Bruce, Perth, Huron, Dufferin; Simcoe: Adjala-Tosorontio, Barrie, Christian Island, Clearview, Collingwood, Essa, Innisfil, Midland, New Tecumseth, Oro-Medonte, Penetanguishene, Springwater, Tiny, Wasaga Beach
Major cities: Stratford, Owen Sound, Collingwood, Barrie, Orangeville
Notes: Probably the most Conservative district in the province in this primarily rural region.

ON-10 630,745 (-0.5)
Wellington: Guelph, Guelph-Eramosa, Puslinch; Waterloo: Waterloo, Kitchener, Cambridge, Woolwich
Hamilton: Former municipalities of Flamborough, Dundas, Ancaster, Glanbrook
Major cities: Guelph, Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Ancaster, Dundas
Notes: This is primarily an urban district which would favour the Liberals especially in the tri-cities area and Guelph.

ON-11 628,425 (-0.9)
Durham: Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, Clarington, Pickering
Northumberland; Hastings: Bancroft, Carlow/Mayo, Centre Hastings, Faraday, Hastings Highlands, Limerick, Madoc, Marmora, Quinte West, Stirling-Rawdon, Tudor and Cashel, Tweed, Tyendinaga, Wollaston
Major cities: Ajax, Pickering, Whitby, Oshawa, Newcastle, Trenton, Port Hope, Cobourg
Notes: Fairly large district with many Toronto suburbs in the southwest ranging to sparesly populated Hastings County. Hastings is very Conservative but the rest of the region is fairly Liberal and Unions are strong in Oshawa.

ON-12 644,396 (+1.7)
Mississauga, Milton
Major cities: Mississauga, Milton
Notes: District is dominated by Mississauga which is a suburb of Toronto which is very Liberal.

ON-13  640,273 (+1.0)
Toronto: Former city of Scarborough plus the former city of Toronto between this border:
Toronto: Former city of Toronto outside this border: Former East York borough boundary to Woodbine Avenue to CN railroard Coxwell Avenue to Queen Street to Woodbine Avenue to Lake Ontario to former Scarborough city limits to former East York borough boundary.
Major cities: Scarborough, Beaches
Notes: Scarborough, an inner suburb of Toronto is probably the most Liberal area in Ontario

ON-14 639,523 (+0.9)
Toronto: Former city of Toronto outside this border: Former East York borough boundary to Woodbine Avenue to CN railroard Coxwell Avenue to Queen Street to Woodbine Avenue to Lake Ontario to former Scarborough city limits to former East York borough boundary.
Major cities: Toronto
Notes: This area which is the core of the city of Toronto would be a good match between the NDP and the Liberals but with the Liberals probably edging the NDP out.

ON-15 630,427 (-0.5)
East York and North York except that part of North York west of the following line: Jane Street to Finch Avenue to Keele Street to Sheppard Avenue to former city limits
Major cities: East York, North York
Notes: North York is a very Liberal inner-suburb of Toronto just like Scarborough

ON-16 641,042 (+1.1)
That part of the city of Vaughan south of Rutherford Road and west of the 404, the former cities of Etobicoke and York, and that part of the former city of North York west of the following line: Jane Street to Finch Avenue to Keele Street to Sheppard Avenue to former city limits
Major cities: Woodbridge, Etobicoke, York
Notes: This area is very suburban and is very Liberal as well.

ON-17 624,773 (-1.4)
Waterloo: Wilmot, Wellesley; Wellington: Minto, Wellington North, Centre Wellington, Erin; Halton: Halton Hills; Peel: Caledon, Brampton; York: that part of the city of Vaughan north of Rutherford Road and East of the 404
Major cities: Georgetown, Brampton, Maple, Thornhill
Notes: Half of this District lives in the very Liberal Brampton, and Vaughan also is very Liberal. However, the rest of the District is very rural and leans Conservative.

ON-18 619,171 (-2.3)
Simcoe: Bradford West Gwillimbury; York: Georgina, Georgina Islands First Nation, East Gwillimbury, Newmarket, Aurora, King, Richmond Hill, Markham; Durham: Uxbridge, Scugog, Scugo First Nation and Brock
Major cities: Bradford, Newmarket, Aurora, Richmond Hill, Markham, Unionville
Notes: Suburban region north of Ontario. In recent years has become more and more Liberal in this formerly Conservative heartland.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 05:38:04 PM »

Cool
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 09:44:14 PM »

Awesome
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 09:52:58 PM »

This will come in handy when we invade and make Ontario a state before Puerto Rico.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 10:18:36 PM »

LOL I bet it will. I am working on Quebec as we speak. I would make American maps if I could find the appropriate data (municipalities, census tracts, etc.) I would love to see some British maps of this sort or Aussie maps, but that's not up to me.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 11:35:03 PM »

I love the way more than half the province is one district.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 11:39:11 PM »

Out of curiosity, on the zoomed-in map, what are the divisions there? Townships?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 12:40:23 AM »

Just one small problem.  Assuming that you get the population for Ontario in 2000 by interpolating the results of 1996 and 2001 Canadian censi, and that you want all existing US states to get the same number of Representatives that they did, then Ontario gets 17 Representatives, not 18 reprsentatives. (if you use the 2001 Canadian Census data Ontario would get 18 representatives, but then to be accurate you should also use the US Census 2001 estimates, which screws everything up.)

2000 Interpolated Population for Ontario: 10,884,868 
Priority value for Ontario's 17th seat: 659,992
Priority value for Ontario's 18th seat: 622,246

Priority value for the real 435th seat: 645,931
Priority value for the real 436th seat: 645,684

Quebec has 11 seats regardless
Manitoba and Saskatchewan get 2 each regardless.
British Columbia gets 6 regardless.
Alberta gets 4 if you use the 2000 interpolated value and 5 of you use the 2001 data.
All other provinces get only 1.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 02:02:17 AM »

The divisions in both the big map and the zoomed in map are districts/counties/regional municipalities/single-tiered cities (all known as Census divisions by statistics Canada).

As for the numbers I used, I kind of cheated using the 2000 Census figures for the US and 2001 for Canada. I'm not going to bother with esitmates and all that. Sorry if it ruins the effects Tongue

And if you think that massive district is bad, you should see what I've got in Quebec :-D
Cashcow

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 10:54:56 AM »

Awesome map. Sort of reminds me of, say... Illinois.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 04:02:28 PM »

Oh great, another guy we need to get a date.  Too much free time, though I do like the good use you put it to.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004, 05:37:31 PM »

I'm nfotnt on ldruugsg butt I"m dDRUNKASNDF!
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2004, 09:53:48 PM »

Awesome map. Sort of reminds me of, say... Illinois.
The real map, or a properly un-gerrymandered one?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2004, 04:11:43 AM »

Oh great, another guy we need to get a date.  Too much free time, though I do like the good use you put it to.

Thanks for the concern, but I'm a hopeless cause Cheesy
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 01:16:05 PM »

Ohhhhh.... I'm in ON-5! I'm in a bloody district with _WINDSOR_. I've never even been to Windsor.

I think I'd rather have Norfolk county be placed in ON-7. At least then we'd be with Haldimand, and we could get outvoted by the cities TOGETHER. Cheesy
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 01:23:28 PM »

Ohhhhh.... I'm in ON-5! I'm in a bloody district with _WINDSOR_. I've never even been to Windsor.

I think I'd rather have Norfolk county be placed in ON-7. At least then we'd be with Haldimand, and we could get outvoted by the cities TOGETHER. Cheesy
That doesn't sound too reasonable - what territory are you going to shift out of ON-7 in exchange?
But I don't like those 5th and 6th districts either. Maybe you could cut them on East-West lines instead?
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 01:28:57 PM »

That doesn't sound too reasonable - what territory are you going to shift out of ON-7 in exchange?

Whatever part I like the least, that equals the population of Norfolk County (60,847).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2004, 02:16:40 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2004, 02:28:39 PM by EarlAW »

The numbers added up so well though, and I wanted to keep counties together. Besides, except for Windsor Chatham and St. Thomas your district is fairly rural. 

This may interest you though
Approx votes in District 5 from 2004 Election
Liberal Party 93,000
Conservative Party 88,000
NDP 71,000

It's interesting that the Liberals would win it because they only won 1 1/3 ridings in this district whereas the tories won 2 1/3 ridings and the NDP 2.

As for the possible division...

The only way to divide it east west would be Kent, Essex and Lambton in the west and Middlesex Elgin Oxford and Norfolk in the east.

This would create 609,655 in the west and 644,855 in the east. It  would be stretching the bounds with that.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2005, 06:11:46 AM »

I love the way more than half the province is one district.

http://www.aec.gov.au/_content/who/profiles/maps/wa/index.htm
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2005, 09:19:49 AM »

Also http://www.aec.gov.au/_content/who/profiles/maps/nt/index.htm and http://www.aec.gov.au/_content/who/profiles/maps/sa/index.htm
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2005, 09:36:45 AM »

yup, but Kalgoorlie is the largest parliamentary constituancy in any country anywhere in the world, and illustrated the point best i thought Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2005, 09:40:01 AM »

yup, but Kalgoorlie is the largest parliamentary constituancy in any country anywhere in the world, and illustrated the point best i thought Smiley

What about Nunavut?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2005, 09:44:48 AM »

Kalgoorlie is 2,295,354 sq miles in 2001 (although I believe it increased a bit in the redistribution), how large is Nunavut?

Prbably bigger, I suppose. Damn propaganda we get fed down here.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2005, 09:45:45 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2005, 09:47:50 AM by hughento »

according to the Nunavut Planning Commission, it is 1,994,000 sq. kms.

It also says two litres of milk costs $5.75 in Iqualit, imagine the cost in the even more remote places?!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2005, 09:49:25 AM »

according to the Nunavut Planning Commission, it is 1,994,000 sq. kms.

It also says two litres of milk costs $5.75 in Iqualit, imagine the cost in the even more remote places?!
I don't think milk is available for love nor money in the most remote places.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies