2012 NDP leadership convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:08:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2012 NDP leadership convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 61
Author Topic: 2012 NDP leadership convention  (Read 144419 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2011, 12:41:45 AM »

Montreal is good. Quebec City is better.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2011, 02:00:42 AM »

Anyways, I think the NDP should really try to engage Canadians in the race. The party should invite Canadians across the country to sign up and be a part of the political process to choose the next Prime Minister of Canada! It's what Jack would have wanted.

Usually, most parties do a membership drive before a leadership race, no?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2011, 09:26:25 AM »

Montreal is good. Quebec City is better.

We were just in Quebec City in 2006.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2011, 10:02:44 AM »

An interesting article in the newspaper "Le Devoir" remembers us than the NDP voted to remove the 25% of votes reserved to the unions in the constitution at the 2009 convention. The party is still free to reserve a part to them, though.

The article also says than Rebecca Blaikie is currently reviewing rules and will make recommandations to the executive committee. That committee is supposed to meet on September 9th.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2011, 10:25:01 AM »

There was another article in the Hill Times which said Mulcair wouldn't have enough time to sell insta-memberships if the election is held in late January as expected. Depends who else runs though: Doer and Comartin are out, Cullen has young kids, so it looks like Topp, Nash, Julian and Mulcair ATM. All have flaws: Topp has never served a day in elective office, Nash would never kepe the soft left vote, etc.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2011, 11:58:10 AM »

Mulcair to scrum later today.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/potential-ndp-leadership-contender-thomas-mulcair-to-break-his-silence/article2147064/
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2011, 01:07:13 PM »

Good. I hope he runs. He is probably the best hope to beat Topp.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2011, 01:08:22 PM »

"Scrum" is a funny word.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2011, 01:14:18 PM »

He's thinking about it. His problem might be that he won't have enough time to sell instamemberships by January. Also, Doer and Comartin have said they're not running, per the Hill Times. Cullen probably won't either because of his young kids, and Chow won't either for obvious reasons.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/quebec-canada/politique-canadienne/201108/30/01-4430135-succession-de-layton-mulcair-reflechit.php

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »

Doer hasn't said anything, only his aides.

Also, I think Mulcair not having a hope is utter BS. There will be lots of time to get memberships, and I think he is already in the lead amongst current members, whether they are in Quebec or not.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2011, 01:33:48 PM »

There will be lots of time to get memberships

It will be a busy fall for us Quebec, I reckon, but I'm not that hopeful.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2011, 01:43:25 PM »

Mulcair: Hence the "might" qualifier. There seems to be a whispering campaign against Mulcair- one report saying that Layton's inner circle "hated" him. While he's not that likeable, this whole thing smacks of the "angry man" Grit depiction of Harper from 2004-6.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2011, 01:47:07 PM »

Well, I think it is pretty obvious than the inner circle is backing Topp.

The inner circle is playing fire with Quebec. I hope they are aware of the dangers.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2011, 02:07:27 PM »

Topp is also a Quebecer, so I don't see how that gets spun as anti-Quebec. Certainly Mulcair is much more visible as the key architect of Quebec victory though.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2011, 02:12:17 PM »

Topp is also a Quebecer, so I don't see how that gets spun as anti-Quebec. Certainly Mulcair is much more visible as the key architect of Quebec victory though.

The question isn't if Topp is from Quebec or not. The question is "Will he able to get that through the mind of people?"

I know people who think "We have elected 59 NDP MPs, we ought to have a Québécois leader". It would be easy for nationalists to paint Topp as an Ontarian, since his French isn't perfect.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2011, 02:19:17 PM »

*Sigh* The media has been unanimous in calling him "perfectly bilingual." I haven't heard Topp speak in French, so I can't judge for myself. Perhaps he's less fluent than Mulcair, but compare that to the other leaders: Harper's French is the bare minimum required, while Rae has a heavy accent.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2011, 02:49:10 PM »

He's thinking about it. His problem might be that he won't have enough time to sell instamemberships by January. Also, Doer and Comartin have said they're not running, per the Hill Times. Cullen probably won't either because of his young kids, and Chow won't either for obvious reasons.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/quebec-canada/politique-canadienne/201108/30/01-4430135-succession-de-layton-mulcair-reflechit.php

What about Dewar?

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2011, 02:52:14 PM »

What about Dewar?

Also possible. If I'm not mistaken he'd be in the NDP centre- correct me if I'm wrong. However Nash, Mulcair and Topp have much larger constituencies. In terms of IOUs, no one tops Topp.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2011, 02:57:20 PM »

If I remember well, Dewar doesn't speak French, which is quite a problem.

I'm more interested hearing about Peter Julian. I suppose than a woman and/or someone of the Atlantic would run. Harris? Chistolm? Nicky Ashley? Megan Leslie?

There won't be lots of candidates, I suppose. Bilinguism shorten even more the list.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2011, 03:03:02 PM »

Conflicting reports on whether or not Dewar speaks French. Chisholm is unilingual, Ashton too young and inexperienced. Leslie is also a member of the Class of '08. Julian will be the left candidate if Nash doesn't enter. The only people we know for sure are fluently bilingual are Mulcair, Topp and Nash.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2011, 03:13:10 PM »

Conflicting reports on whether or not Dewar speaks French. Chisholm is unilingual, Ashton too young and inexperienced. Leslie is also a member of the Class of '08. Julian will be the left candidate if Nash doesn't enter. The only people we know for sure are fluently bilingual are Mulcair, Topp and Nash.

I'm pretty sure than Julian speaks French. He ran for provincial NDP in Quebec in the 80's, was the director of the "campaign" in Quebec in 1993 and was the chair of the NDP-Québec section for a few years. It is pretty much given than he speaks French, considering that.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2011, 03:18:58 PM »

So that rounds out the top 4. Would both Julian and Nash run?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2011, 03:24:23 PM »

So that rounds out the top 4. Would both Julian and Nash run?

No clue. But I'm pretty sure than a woman will run.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2011, 03:35:46 PM »

Julian is bilingual. I used to work in his office. He also knows sign language and was learning Mandarin.

Anyways, even if the party insiders want Topp to win, that doesn't mean he will. In the provincial convention, all the insiders wanted Tabuns to win (including Ed Broadbent), but Andrea Horwath won.

I don't think the party membership is going to bend over and take anyone the party tells them to take. I didn't even know who Topp was until he was crammed down our throat at convention when he ran unopposed to be the President.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »

So how would Mulcair be received in ROC, particularly Ontario? I'm sure that Nash and Julian would be well-received here, but that Nash would send the Anglos running back to the Grits.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies