2012 NDP leadership convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:53:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2012 NDP leadership convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 61
Author Topic: 2012 NDP leadership convention  (Read 144577 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2011, 03:50:57 PM »

So this will be as wide-open as the Liberal '06 race, depending on how tightly Blaikie sets the rules? It will probably be as exciting as that convention too.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2011, 04:06:18 PM »

I just saw a tweet that Romeo Saganash will run! Good to have a Quebecer in the race in addition to Mulcair - esp. one who is Cree as well!

Again, I doubt very much than he will run.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2011, 06:57:30 PM »

Quebec wing, Topp: delay the vote. Layton's letter seemed to indicate a late January timetable. My take is that this means they're aiming for a free-for-all like the Grits had in 2006.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ndps-quebec-wing-urges-delayed-leadership-convention/article2149384/
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2011, 07:07:31 PM »

I agree with the President of the Quebec wing.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2011, 07:09:13 PM »

Quebec wing, Topp: delay the vote. Layton's letter seemed to indicate a late January timetable. My take is that this means they're aiming for a free-for-all like the Grits had in 2006.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ndps-quebec-wing-urges-delayed-leadership-convention/article2149384/

Ah, I'm just loving the comments section. Smiley

A later leadership convention would make me sad, only because I would have to wait longer, but I do agree that it's best to do as much membership drives as possible - not just in Quebec, but everywhere. I was surprised to see that BC has more NDP members than Ontario!

As much as that article and other media sources are teasing at a Charlie Angus run, I don't think it'll happen. Sad
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2011, 07:16:32 PM »

Sometime in the winter at any rate. The Grits were absolutely nuts to delay 2 years- the longest wait for a convention in Canadian history, by far.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2011, 10:32:52 PM »

There needs to a real drive to engage the average left wing voter across the country. It would be cool to do some primaries as well (not to elect delegates, but all by popular vote).
DL
Canada

« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2011, 11:32:33 PM »

I was surprised to see that BC has more NDP members than Ontario!

There is actually a very simple explanation for that. The BC NDP typically doesn't have that many members but they had a very hotly contested leadership race of their own this past April and it was OMOV and you had three serious candidates each signing up thousands of "instant New Democrats"...Adrian Dix alone signed up several thousand NDP members from the Sikh community just to support him...those people are all still on the BC NDP membership rolls.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2011, 11:50:59 PM »

I suppose than they will stay for the federal vote, no?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »

Remember that unlike the other parties (outside Atlantic Liberals) the NDP shares provincial and federal memberships. If you are in one, you are in the other. No opting-out.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2011, 10:04:25 PM »

Remember that unlike the other parties (outside Atlantic Liberals) the NDP shares provincial and federal memberships. If you are in one, you are in the other. No opting-out.

Except in Québec.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2011, 11:03:04 PM »

Total shocker.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ndp-firebrand-toots-his-own-horn/article2152741/

Also, Romeo Saganash is considering an entry. NDP's 2006 IMO.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2011, 11:12:24 PM »

Well, the choice of the date will be more or less an endorsement of a candidate.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: September 03, 2011, 11:56:56 AM »

Except in Québec.
Only because the NDP has no provincial wing in Quebec Tongue It was de-affiliated, then merged into a party, which merged into a party, which merged into QS
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #164 on: September 03, 2011, 04:13:03 PM »

Except in Québec.
Only because the NDP has no provincial wing in Quebec Tongue It was de-affiliated, then merged into a party, which merged into a party, which merged into QS

Which is why Mulcair has said he won't run unless the convention is pushed back into spring. Shades of Rae.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: September 03, 2011, 06:46:08 PM »

Except in Québec.

Which is why Mulcair has said he won't run unless the convention is pushed back into spring.
Wonderful. I hope it's next month.
DL
Canada

« Reply #166 on: September 03, 2011, 08:12:45 PM »

Well, the choice of the date will be more or less an endorsement of a candidate.

I don't think that's the case at all. I think that a lot of members of the NDP federal council will want to have the leadership vote in late February or March - not because they want to do Mulcair any favours, but because they just think its better for the party to leave enough time for candidates to sign up members and especially for membership in Quebec to have a chance to catch up to the rest of the country.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2011, 08:14:33 PM »

Greatly expanding membership in Quebec would also be a good way of putting down roots there. Which is essential.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2011, 05:22:05 AM »

I'm willing to bet that 85%-95% of Quebeckers are aware both that Layton is dead, and, that he was NDP leader. I'm willing to bet that of them, a good 90% are able to reason that the NDP needs a new leader.

Frankly, if they are unwilling to join the party in 30 days, they should not really be allowed a vote.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #169 on: September 04, 2011, 05:28:44 AM »

Wanting to vote for a particular candidate for party leader is, perhaps, not the greatest reason to join a political party.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2011, 08:18:33 AM »

Wanting to vote for a particular candidate for party leader is, perhaps, not the greatest reason to join a political party.

That's the main reason anyone joins parties in Canada (that and nomination contests)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: September 04, 2011, 05:41:43 PM »

That's the main reason anyone joins parties in Canada (that and nomination contests)
This.

Party membership here tends to fluctuate between 40,000 and 80,000, but parties have been known to reach 160,000 before. It always peaks during leadership races.

A few years back, the Liberals had 70,000, the Tories 90,000, and the NDP 60,000. The Bloc, IIRC, had 5,000, and the Greens, at the time, in the 3ple didgets. IIRC, this places a total of 225,000. The population was 32,000,000 at the time. Less than 1%.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #172 on: September 04, 2011, 07:41:13 PM »

It's interesting how different our two political cultures are. Over here, signing up members for this purpose would be called branch stacking and is heavily frowned-upon (and often criticised in the media and by people whose opponents have signed up many new members).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2011, 07:49:58 PM »

It's interesting how different our two political cultures are. Over here, signing up members for this purpose would be called branch stacking and is heavily frowned-upon (and often criticised in the media and by people whose opponents have signed up many new members).

As long as it's done properly. Perhaps the dirtiest race was the PC leadership race of 1983, where youth memberships in particular were used and abused due to highly *flexible* statutes in the PC constitution. Long story short, that's why the modern CPC does not have a youth wing.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2011, 08:11:22 PM »

As long as it's done properly. Perhaps the dirtiest race was the PC leadership race of 1983, where youth memberships in particular were used and abused due to highly *flexible* statutes in the PC constitution. Long story short, that's why the modern CPC does not have a youth wing.

That was the one in which kids were used as members?

Smid, if I remember well, here, in some parties, to be a candidate to the investiture in a riding, you must sell a fixed number of memberships. I don't know if that still happens.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies