Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 12:38:41 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  International Elections (Moderator: PASOK Leader Hashemite)
| | |-+  2012 NDP leadership convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 Print
Author Topic: 2012 NDP leadership convention  (Read 56143 times)
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: March 24, 2012, 07:59:34 pm »
Ignore

Despite continuing DDOS attacks voting will still shut down now, all candidates have agreed to accept the result.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Foucaulf
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 24, 2012, 08:17:20 pm »
Ignore

Mulcair being a chairman rather than a CEO? Not unless he's had a personality transplant in the past little while.

I hope he at least realizes there are ministries that he should leave well alone. Not sure if, given his new aversion towards interviews, his (shadow) ministers will step up to the plate for him.

A DDoS attack is, to put it simply, a bunch of people trying to access a server at once so the server can't handle it anymore. From what the CBC reported, the NDP contracted a Spanish company for the e-voting software used today. Either the company did not have enough servers running, or the NDP tried to save money. Now, there are enough automated requests being sent to the server that actual NDP voters can no longer access the voting program.

The servers themselves were not "hacked". DDoS attacks are like organizing a flash mob to run through a door so no one else can get in. If the target purchased extra server space, then these attacks fail spectacularly. But I guess that wasn't the case.

<Xahar> how much do you want to bet that this "gangsta" roommate was listening to Drake
<Xahar> and that's what set Scott off
PASOK Leader Hashemite
Hashemite
YaBB God
South Africa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1352 on: March 24, 2012, 08:21:35 pm »

Mulcair wins, making sure I'll never vote NDP.

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: March 24, 2012, 08:26:13 pm »
Ignore

Much larger margin than I thought.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
PASOK Leader Hashemite
Hashemite
YaBB God
South Africa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1354 on: March 24, 2012, 08:44:24 pm »

Mulcair's speech was pretty terrible.

MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 24, 2012, 08:45:56 pm »
Ignore

That speech was pretty bland, but, anyways, everyone is looking hockey at this hour.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1356 on: March 24, 2012, 08:49:34 pm »
Ignore

Numbers?

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: March 24, 2012, 08:52:01 pm »
Ignore

Numbers?

Percentage: 57.2% Mulcair, 42.8% Topp. 

Raw vote: Mulcair 33,821, Topp 25,329

7.35, 3.65

Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: March 24, 2012, 09:48:25 pm »
Ignore

Numbers?

Damn.  I would've hoped it'd be narrower.  Ah well.  I'll be remembering what you guys said about how he'll be toast if he tries to make the NDP Third Way.  If he starts as leader by demoting Libby in any way, shape, or form, I'll go berserk.

-7.61 Economic
-7.48 Social
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: March 24, 2012, 09:56:55 pm »
Ignore

Numbers?

Damn.  I would've hoped it'd be narrower.  Ah well.  I'll be remembering what you guys said about how he'll be toast if he tries to make the NDP Third Way.  If he starts as leader by demoting Libby in any way, shape, or form, I'll go berserk.

He'd be more subtle than that. It depends if his opponents are willing to deal. And given the size of his mandate they'll have to deal. You want to tell Tom Mulcair no to his face, you better be fearless otherwise you'll pantsh**t before opening your mouth.

7.35, 3.65

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: March 24, 2012, 10:17:19 pm »
Ignore

If Mulcair distributes authority as some of us are talking about the NDP should hold up okay ideologically. If he tries to make it Third Way it will obviously suffer among its base, which I think he realizes even if his instincts probably would be to moderate at least somewhat to appeal to yet more voters. It should be remembered that so far as I understand it he left or was removed from his position in Quebec's PL provincial government because he thought it was too rightist on something or other. Parks, maybe? He also needs to make sure he doesn't squander the fact that he's inherited a historically anomalous dominance (at the federal level) of his province and that he was elected partially, perhaps even primarily, on the basis of the idea that he could be entrusted with maintaining that.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:37:04 pm by Nathan »Logged

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: March 24, 2012, 10:30:23 pm »
Ignore

Numbers?

I think he will have too.
Because of his results, I think than Cullen must get a position.
And other provinces will complain if BC gets two powerful offices.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: March 24, 2012, 10:31:03 pm »
Ignore

Wow, watching the speech, it's amazing how pissed Broadbent looks.  

-7.61 Economic
-7.48 Social
MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: March 24, 2012, 10:42:28 pm »
Ignore

Well, Broadbent seems to be very pissed and seems to hate everyone who doesn't agree with its view of the NDP.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1364 on: March 24, 2012, 10:43:21 pm »
Ignore

Mulcair doesn't need to drag the NDP to the right in order to make it to his liking as Layton's platform at the last election was reassuringly and absolutely moderate anyway. Though I suppose  it might grate a little more when the leader lacks radical baggage or something.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
RodPresident
YaBB God
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: March 24, 2012, 10:50:50 pm »
Ignore

Will Mulcair try a revenge by denying a place to Topp as candidate for MP or throwing him in a very difficult riding? I think that NDP should promote and develop fresh faces to get a strong campaign. Broadbent was unable to do Quebec gains with a better national conjuncture.

10 years without Brizola
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: March 24, 2012, 10:55:02 pm »
Ignore

Well, Broadbent seems to be very pissed and seems to hate everyone who doesn't agree with its view of the NDP.
True.  He and Mulcair are a lot more similar than they think. 

-7.61 Economic
-7.48 Social
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: March 24, 2012, 10:57:00 pm »
Ignore

Will Mulcair try a revenge by denying a place to Topp as candidate for MP or throwing him in a very difficult riding? I think that NDP should promote and develop fresh faces to get a strong campaign. Broadbent was unable to do Quebec gains with a better national conjuncture.

Denying a place to Brian Topp as candidate for MP is doing the God's work, so I can't say I'd blame him, though it would be a dick move if he tried it with any of the others who might end up in that situation.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: March 24, 2012, 10:59:39 pm »
Ignore

Well, if he wants to run in Quebec, he should be denied. He lives in Toronto, so, he runs in Toronto.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: March 24, 2012, 11:05:25 pm »
Ignore

Mulcair just announced Libby Davies is remaining deputy leader.  I liked his interview with Peter Mansbridge.  I'm satisfied for now. 

-7.61 Economic
-7.48 Social
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: March 25, 2012, 04:33:56 am »
Ignore

Mulcair got more of Nash's voters than Cullen did (a bit less than Topp though), but though he won Cullen's he didn't do so by all that much.

And I sincerely hope that no one tries to use the internet to hold an actual election. Ever. Again. Anywhere in the world.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Holmes
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: March 25, 2012, 07:37:41 am »
Ignore

Yeah, I think Mulcair's speech was pretty bland, pretty different from the type of speech he gave when I met him. Oh well, maybe he was tired and over it after so long. I don't think it matters. I think, though, that his manner in giving speeches is very similar to Harper's.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1372 on: March 25, 2012, 07:59:48 am »
Ignore

Yes, he would have been rather tired. Yes, internet elections are a mistake. In this case it's probably brought nothing more than unnecessary additional stress and some delays. In other cases...

PASOK Leader Hashemite
Hashemite
YaBB God
South Africa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1373 on: March 25, 2012, 08:06:42 am »

It's a bit crazy how some of the radical lefties are treating Mulcair's victory as something akin to Jean-Marie Le Pen or Stephen Harper winning the NDP leadership.

Holmes
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: March 25, 2012, 08:09:17 am »
Ignore

That's to be expected, but they're just a vocal minority.

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout