Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 06:10:33 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  U.S. Presidential Election Results
| | |-+  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | | |-+  Nasdaq Effects in 2000
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Nasdaq Effects in 2000  (Read 832 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2011, 03:42:46 am »
Ignore

The Nasdaq peaked on March 10th, 2000 (for good) at 5048.16 and closed at 3,415.79 on Election Day representing a ~32% decline in a period of 8 months. Did this have any effect?

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 07:40:43 am »
Ignore

It might have cost Gore the election. It could have been a factor that just decided not to show up in the exit polling. But, was still in the voter's minds.

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=195483.new#new
the birth of modern america & onward election Former Vice President Blanche Bruce defeats incumbent President Grover Cleveland in 1904. In an age of unpredictable election outcomes Bruce finds himself reelected in 1908 against an opponent whose name escapes me at the moment. Blanche Bruce served as Vice President under Frederick Douglas whom Cleveland defeated in 1900. His Vice President runs to replace Bruce in 1912.
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 11:54:32 am »
Ignore

It might have cost Gore the election. It could have been a factor that just decided not to show up in the exit polling. But, was still in the voter's minds.

At such a miniscule margin, a thousand minor factors are responsible for Gore's loss, ranging from the weather to traffic to what was on TV on election day to the price of milk.

On the Atlas Forums, it's likely that this is an inane statement. So I'll respond to the original poster's question: Yes, it had an effect on the margin, and it's likely that it hurt Gore more than Bush. And if it did, it almost certainly affected the outcome of the election.

PS: I am using my late mother's Facebook account due to the difficulty of changing identities on Facebook. She has yet to complain.
GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 12:06:51 pm »
Ignore

On the Atlas Forums, it's likely that this is an inane statement. So I'll respond to the original poster's question: Yes, it had an effect on the margin, and it's likely that it hurt Gore more than Bush. And if it did, it almost certainly affected the outcome of the election.
Which is basically what I said, except written differently.

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=195483.new#new
the birth of modern america & onward election Former Vice President Blanche Bruce defeats incumbent President Grover Cleveland in 1904. In an age of unpredictable election outcomes Bruce finds himself reelected in 1908 against an opponent whose name escapes me at the moment. Blanche Bruce served as Vice President under Frederick Douglas whom Cleveland defeated in 1900. His Vice President runs to replace Bruce in 1912.
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 12:12:17 pm »
Ignore

Which is basically what I said, except written differently.

Almost. I put greater emphasis on the fact that altering virtually any of the conditions on election day in 2000 could have changed the outcome. To be clear, I was referring to my first sentence as inane, not anything that you'd said.

PS: I am using my late mother's Facebook account due to the difficulty of changing identities on Facebook. She has yet to complain.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout