SC-Magellan Strategies: Perry 31% Romney 20% Bachmann 14% Cain 9% Gingrich 5%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:20:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  SC-Magellan Strategies: Perry 31% Romney 20% Bachmann 14% Cain 9% Gingrich 5%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SC-Magellan Strategies: Perry 31% Romney 20% Bachmann 14% Cain 9% Gingrich 5%  (Read 1529 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2011, 06:58:04 PM »

Magellan Strategies South Carolina primary poll:

http://www.magellanstrategies.com/web/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Magellan-South-Carolina-2012-Republican-Presidential-Primary-Survey-Release-0826114.pdf

Perry 31%
Romney 20%
Bachmann 14%
Cain 9%
Gingrich 5%
Paul 4%
Santorum 2%
Huntsman 2%

Perry does best among Tea Party supporters and worst among women.  Romney does best among voters over 65 and worst among Tea Party supporters.

favorability / unfavorability among GOP primary voters:

Perry 61 / 17%
Bachmann 58 / 27%
Romney 55 / 31%
Cain 49 / 17%
Gingrich 35 / 53%
Paul 28 / 48%
Santorum 26 / 32%
Huntsman 9 / 44%
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:41:27 PM »

lol at Huntsman
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:04:50 PM »

Somehow I think Huntsman should just throw in the towel. He ain't winning with ratings like that.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 08:32:08 PM »

Somehow I think Huntsman should just throw in the towel. He ain't winning with ratings like that.

His goal isn't to win.  It's to take a few % away from Romney, so that the GOP nominates someone more conservative this time around, and is thus more open to nominating a moderate in 2016.

If Romney is the GOP nominee in 2012 then, win or lose, the party is not going to nominate Huntsman in 2016.  They're not going to nominate two Mormons in a row if the first one lost, and they're not going to nominate someone more moderate than Romney, because the party base will blame the loss on his being a "RINO".  (And of course, if Romney is elected prez, then Romney will be the nominee again in 2016 anyway.)

Whereas if Perry wins the nomination and loses the GE, then Huntsman may figure there's at least a chance that the party will recalibrate in the coming years, and be more amenable to someone like him.  It's a very very long shot, but it's the only chance he has.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 10:00:22 PM »

His goal isn't to win.  It's to take a few % away from Romney, so that the GOP nominates someone more conservative this time around, and is thus more open to nominating a moderate in 2016.

If Romney is the GOP nominee in 2012 then, win or lose, the party is not going to nominate Huntsman in 2016.  They're not going to nominate two Mormons in a row if the first one lost, and they're not going to nominate someone more moderate than Romney, because the party base will blame the loss on his being a "RINO".  (And of course, if Romney is elected prez, then Romney will be the nominee again in 2016 anyway.)

Whereas if Perry wins the nomination and loses the GE, then Huntsman may figure there's at least a chance that the party will recalibrate in the coming years, and be more amenable to someone like him.  It's a very very long shot, but it's the only chance he has.

When you say very, very long shot I'm assuming you mean the part about the party swinging back enough for him to win in 2016, not the part about Perry winning the nomination.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 10:05:19 PM »

When you say very, very long shot I'm assuming you mean the part about the party swinging back enough for him to win in 2016, not the part about Perry winning the nomination.

Correct.  Perry has a good chance at winning the nomination.  That's clear enough.

Huntsman faces long odds of ever being on a national ticket, either way.  He will probably never be the party's presidential or vice presidential nominee, either in 2012 or 2016 or 2020.  But to the extent that he has a chance at all, it rests on Romney not winning the nomination this time around.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 10:31:19 PM »

Correct.  Perry has a good chance at winning the nomination.  That's clear enough.

Huntsman faces long odds of ever being on a national ticket, either way.  He will probably never be the party's presidential or vice presidential nominee, either in 2012 or 2016 or 2020.  But to the extent that he has a chance at all, it rests on Romney not winning the nomination this time around.

Yeah I agree.  With the comparisons of this field to Democrats 2004, Huntsman feels kind of like the Lieberman.  Even if the party concludes they overreached with Perry or Bachmann, I think Jeb Bush or Christie are way more likely than Huntsman to get the rebound.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 12:27:24 AM »

Map:

Red: Romney
Orange: Perry
Blue: Bachmann
Green: Giuliani
White: Tossup
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 10:12:43 AM »

Don't you think Huntsman wants to run as an Indie next year?? I was thinking about it last night... and he would be the perfect moderate hero, appealing to Conservadems, Indies and sane GOPers.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 12:52:38 PM »

Don't you think Huntsman wants to run as an Indie next year?? I was thinking about it last night... and he would be the perfect moderate hero, appealing to Conservadems, Indies and sane GOPers.

It would make sense -given his present level of support and approval ratings among GOP primary-voters, he has nothing to lose by doing it.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 12:55:13 PM »

It would make sense -given his present level of support and approval ratings among GOP primary-voters, he has nothing to lose by doing it.

He has no natural support base. The Mormons aren't going to fund his campaign, not even vindictively against Perry or Bachmann for defeating Romney, and he has no other serious base of supporters with enough funds to run a national campaign. And no one knows who he is, either.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 03:30:42 PM »

Except that he would end up acting as a spoiler for Obama by splitting the sane vote, which I'm not totally sure he wants to do.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 05:43:45 PM »

Except that he would end up acting as a spoiler for Obama by splitting the sane vote, which I'm not totally sure he wants to do.

He can self-fund, and I think he's really ambitious.
 he knows he has no future in today's GOP, so I think he will run as an independent or create a new moderate party to become a hero for the moderate people  and, maybe, some day, he or a member of his party will be elected president.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies