The Atlas Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:19:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Atlas Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 41
Author Topic: The Atlas Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts  (Read 193193 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: February 08, 2012, 06:29:46 AM »
« edited: February 08, 2012, 06:32:18 AM by Alcon »

To celebrate his absence I'll submit this as my pick for the single most idiotic posting ever in the history of Atlas:

Canadians can not view Hulu.

It's not the only website. There are a lot of websites that Americans can visit, that Canadians can not.

Perhaps other non-autistic canadians do not get offended, but I do. Every time I hear the word "Hulu" it gets translated in my head as "F*** you canadian, I am American, thats right you f***ing Canadian, I am American and I'm better than you cause I can watch this clip and you f***ing looser can't"

Fyi, one of the traits of Autism Spectrum Disorders is that they are more likely to get offended by perceived injustices, especially arbitrary-seeming ones.  Autistic folks fixate on this stuff until they get a satisfying resolution.  They are unable to let it go like we can.  (Imagine how mad you feel when someone does something arbitrarily cruel or thoughtless to you; that's about what it's like for them.)   When you know this, his post makes total sense.

You're really being an ass here, although I understand that you probably didn't realize that.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #576 on: February 08, 2012, 07:24:49 AM »

I'm just relieved I will no longer have to read the absurd nonsense he usually posted, and that above being a prime example. When I first read I was basically awestruck at the idiocy. It's not like political hackery where you can sort of understand why someone would post something that stupid, it's just inane beyond words. In real life I hope he gets whatever help he obviously really really needs.

Dude, seriously.
What's wrong with you?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #577 on: February 08, 2012, 02:02:50 PM »

To celebrate his absence I'll submit this as my pick for the single most idiotic posting ever in the history of Atlas:

It's not the only website. There are a lot of websites that Americans can visit, that Canadians can not.

Perhaps other non-autistic canadians do not get offended, but I do. Every time I hear the word "Hulu" it gets translated in my head as "F*** you canadian, I am American, thats right you f***ing Canadian, I am American and I'm better than you cause I can watch this clip and you f***ing looser can't"

Fyi, one of the traits of Autism Spectrum Disorders is that they are more likely to get offended by perceived injustices, especially arbitrary-seeming ones.  Autistic folks fixate on this stuff until they get a satisfying resolution.  They are unable to let it go like we can.  (Imagine how mad you feel when someone does something arbitrarily cruel or thoughtless to you; that's about what it's like for them.)   When you know this, his post makes total sense.

You're really being an ass here, although I understand that you probably didn't realize that.

I can vouch for this. I should mention that I've spent a great deal of time and effort working on empathy and a sense of perspective despite (or perhaps because of) being diagnosed with high-functioning autism myself very early in life.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #578 on: February 08, 2012, 02:10:35 PM »

I can vouch for this. I should mention that I've spent a great deal of time and effort working on empathy and a sense of perspective despite (or perhaps because of) being diagnosed with high-functioning autism myself very early in life.
Never would have guessed (seriously).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #579 on: February 08, 2012, 02:40:39 PM »

Never would have guessed (seriously).

Yeah. I've been working very hard on the subject of other people for a very long time.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #580 on: February 08, 2012, 05:47:35 PM »

Well, yes, all 3 are highly popular policies among the US electorate.

It's a little odd to describe them that way when one no longer enjoys majority support nationwide and another has to be pitched through immensely odd semantics to get the numbers that it does (one assumes, otherwise there would be very little reason to use the English language in such strange ways), but whatever.

Somewhere between -5 and -10 for gay marriage in Minnesota considering the (for better or worse) cultural reticence of many Iron Range Democrats seems reasonable to me at the time being. This poll just has somewhat higher undecideds than many so, of course, the support numbers are commensurately lower. If you split the undecideds it comes out to something like 45.3-54.7, which strikes me as a little on the low end but not outside the range of where I had perceived things as standing at this point in these sorts of states.

Given its long streak of 30+ successes at the polling booth it is very natural to describe the sanctity of traditional marriage as a popular policy. Dubious surveys are of course secondary to concrete actual electoral results.

Nothing particularly stupid about this post, I just really don't like this guy and I giggle at the use of the term "traditional marriage".
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #581 on: February 08, 2012, 05:53:44 PM »

Well, yes, all 3 are highly popular policies among the US electorate.

It's a little odd to describe them that way when one no longer enjoys majority support nationwide and another has to be pitched through immensely odd semantics to get the numbers that it does (one assumes, otherwise there would be very little reason to use the English language in such strange ways), but whatever.

Somewhere between -5 and -10 for gay marriage in Minnesota considering the (for better or worse) cultural reticence of many Iron Range Democrats seems reasonable to me at the time being. This poll just has somewhat higher undecideds than many so, of course, the support numbers are commensurately lower. If you split the undecideds it comes out to something like 45.3-54.7, which strikes me as a little on the low end but not outside the range of where I had perceived things as standing at this point in these sorts of states.

Given its long streak of 30+ successes at the polling booth it is very natural to describe the sanctity of traditional marriage as a popular policy. Dubious surveys are of course secondary to concrete actual electoral results.

Nothing particularly stupid about this post, I just really don't like this guy and I giggle at the use of the term "traditional marriage".

There actually is something stupid about it, namely his failure to understand that Time is a thing. I don't even believe, philosophically, in linear time and I still find this absurd.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #582 on: February 08, 2012, 11:59:21 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 12:02:16 AM by The Mikado »

I totally agree with burning the current German flag, it's a crime against aesthetics.  Bring back the Black-White-Red Imperial flag

yikes.

EDIT:  Link edited in the Swastika flag into my original post.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #583 on: February 09, 2012, 05:38:09 PM »

HP. The Soviet Union would still exist today if he had been POTUS.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #584 on: February 09, 2012, 08:41:25 PM »

See, I thought anybody could buy condoms at the local 7/11. Dirt cheap, too. No prescription necessary. And even more effective than the pill! Last but not least, condoms actually help prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS, unlike the pill. In the 21st century, condoms are really the only rational choice for anybody who chooses sex outside of a committed relationship, if not marriage.

Keep thinking you are re-igniting the "culture war" with this. This is no such thing. This is about you trying to shove more and more Big Government down everybody's throat. Enough is enough. The government does not have the right to tell religious institutions what to do. People are saying enough is enough because they know it will not stop unless a line is drawn in the sand eventually, preferably now rather than before it is too late. I know this offends your communist sensibilities, but deal with it.

Emphasis mine.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #585 on: February 09, 2012, 08:43:41 PM »

You know what?  I'll just leave this here:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=1554;sa=showPosts
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #586 on: February 10, 2012, 03:03:37 PM »

A must for this thread.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #587 on: February 10, 2012, 04:16:48 PM »

and
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=1117;sa=showPosts
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #588 on: February 10, 2012, 04:45:53 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What evidence do you have that Romney has coattails? From where I sit - the conservatives did better in '10 by expressing conservative principles. It would seem to me that Romney would depress turnout in the downballot races.

Independents and Democrats traditionally come out in stronger force for presidential elections compared to midterms. If we turn off independents by nominating Santorum, or especially Gingrich, we're in for huge downballot losses. All signs point towards Romney being the least likely to lose independents, and especially female voters. Females like Mitt's appearance, background, and overall presence. These females are going to decide which way things go this election. We are best off giving them what they want deep down inside: A good-looking, tall guy. Psychologists have looked into this. Romney is the best hope.

Oh, so you're not just a Romney hack - you're also a misogynistic prick. Good to know.

Are you denying that women, in general, are biologically hardwired to prefer tall, handsome men? Let's be objective here...
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #589 on: February 10, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »

I will concede that 2006 was a bad year to be a Republican, but losing to a bald guy? That should not happen, ESPECIALLY if you are an incumbent who is one of the Senate's top three leaders.

Had to scratch my head at this one.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #590 on: February 10, 2012, 07:07:28 PM »

I will concede that 2006 was a bad year to be a Republican, but losing to a bald guy? That should not happen, ESPECIALLY if you are an incumbent who is one of the Senate's top three leaders.

I believe it's his attempt at humor.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #591 on: February 10, 2012, 07:09:44 PM »

Hopefully your head isn't BALD.  Such things are shameful, you see.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #592 on: February 10, 2012, 07:13:25 PM »

I believe it's his attempt at humor.

He kept going on about it.  I just can't tell if he's being serious, anymore.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #593 on: February 15, 2012, 06:53:29 AM »

America will never be the leader of the world ever again if Barack Obama is re-elected. Like most of Europe, 8% unemployment will be the new "normal" forever, and we'll be lucky to get 2% GDP growth in any given year. Most young people, including the majority of them on here who happen to be supporting Obama, will be screwed for life regardless of their education level simply because nobody is going to hire anybody in this environment without relevant work experience. Good luck obtaining that relevant work experience if the trend of the past three years continues or worsens.

At least with Romney there is a chance of getting our fiscal house in order before it is too late. This is the last chance to finally fix Washington. There are no guarantees, but there is a chance of bouncing back with the right policies in place.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #594 on: February 16, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »

Terrible.  Hopefully Obama will pardon him after the election.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #595 on: February 17, 2012, 09:39:24 PM »

Once the west becomes a DEM stronghold, it will become 3rd world status, watch it happen.  Give it another 40 years.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #596 on: February 18, 2012, 12:33:45 AM »

Yawn. Prince George's County will smack this down hard in a referendum. The sanctity of traditional marriage has performed excellently at the ballot box.

Every time a post has those two words together, it should be put into this thread.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #597 on: February 18, 2012, 12:52:58 AM »

Yawn. Prince George's County will smack this down hard in a referendum. The sanctity of traditional marriage has performed excellently at the ballot box.

Every time a post has those two words together, it should be put into this thread.

What's so bad about the words "ballot box"? Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #598 on: February 18, 2012, 07:12:19 AM »

I think he meant "Prince" and "George". If so, I concur.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #599 on: February 18, 2012, 05:07:26 PM »

Obviously, I am referring to the words "in" and "a". Wink
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 41  
« previous next »