Santorum:"Gays are on a jihad against me"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:39:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum:"Gays are on a jihad against me"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Santorum:"Gays are on a jihad against me"  (Read 6302 times)
Link
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2011, 07:58:36 PM »

For such a seemingly intelligent, passionate, and friendly guy, he really has a perverse world view.  He's like the nice little grandpa who bags groceries at a grocery store, and yet keeps his daughters as sex slaves and in cages in the basement.

This.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2011, 09:09:11 PM »

Why can't he accept they were born this way before he falls off the edge of glory?

Because he is a bats*** crazy person full of hate
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »

Saying sodomy is "antithetical to a healthy, stable, traditional family" and that you don't agree with New York not having sodomy laws is a pretty clear endorsement of sodomy bans. I'm not even sure what you're taking issue with here tbh.

Let me clarify what was an error on my part: he does defend the sodomy laws (or at least did during this infamous interview) and I disagree with that. However, he quite clearly isn't calling for a ban on homosexuality so let's calm down with the hyperbole, people.

Banning gays?  No, throwing gays in jail if they have consensual sex?  He seems fine with that...
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2011, 02:38:53 AM »

He definitely has a problem with other people's personal lives 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2011, 02:42:10 AM »

He definitely has a problem with other people's personal lives 

As all "modern conservatives".
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2011, 02:54:54 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2011, 02:57:22 AM by Ogre Mage »

That is what happens when you make bigoted comments about a class of people.  I would say that Santorum deserves all possible derision, but now that he is booted out of office he is not really worth the time.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2011, 11:31:46 AM »

FWIW, I don't think he's gay.  He seems entirely authentic in his wildly perverse view of the world.
DS0816
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2011, 11:53:38 AM »

come one guys this is a serious issue and clearly Rick Santorum has put a lot of thought into this.

I think that Rick Santorum, Marcus Bachmann and Rick Perry should all get together and do some serious hard praying on this, perhaps in a special circle. They can blow each other away with their deep insights. They need to stay rigid in their strong beliefs on the issue and together experience the whole glory of spiritual togetherness. Whatever they do, they must avoid the taint that the thrust of their views is not just. It is also important that they sheath themselves with the protection of their love of traditional values.

Insightful remark. It's also vital for the two Ricks and Marcus to play a more versatile role in negotiating a successful outcome.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2011, 04:18:25 PM »

FWIW, I don't think he's gay.  He seems entirely authentic in his wildly perverse view of the world.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2011, 09:47:45 AM »

Santorum wants homosexuality outlawed? No. Wrong.

Yes, Right (or he at least wants the states to be allowed to have anti-sodomy laws again)
You must be logged in to read this quote.

No where in that statement does he say that he wants homosexuality outlawed.

It's not very hard to fill in the blanks, stop blinding yourself.

This guy is saying that he has a problem with homosexual activities. He wants to bring back sodomy laws. He'd like to ban homosexual marriage by way of amendment to the constitution.

So maybe he didn't say he wanted homosexuality outlawed, but I can't think of any other way to really achieve that end than doing exactly what he supports.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2011, 10:12:17 AM »

It's not very hard to fill in the blanks, stop blinding yourself.

This guy is saying that he has a problem with homosexual activities. He wants to bring back sodomy laws. He'd like to ban homosexual marriage by way of amendment to the constitution.

So maybe he didn't say he wanted homosexuality outlawed, but I can't think of any other way to really achieve that end than doing exactly what he supports.

Essentially yes; Santorum has a track record (one which he re-iterates himself without prompting) of supporting laws making private sexual acts a criminal act. That is as anti-gay as you can possibly get without resorting to Ugandan style legislation.

Ironically, that is not the position taken by the Catholic Church, which doesn't support re-criminalisation and even as far back as the 1950's supported decriminalisation with respect to laws in England and Wales at that time.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2011, 01:09:07 PM »

Ironically, that is not the position taken by the Catholic Church, which doesn't support re-criminalisation and even as far back as the 1950's supported decriminalisation with respect to laws in England and Wales at that time.

Santorum takes a lot of positions not endorsed by the Catholic Church, eg his views on intelligent design (and his connections to the Discovery Institute) and the death penalty, so much so that its easier to think of him as an evangelical candidate than a Catholic one.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2011, 02:32:22 PM »

Rick says he is against criminalizing sodomy now. So all is well with the world now.  Rick has decided that millions of us can now live a life free of crime.  Smiley
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »

Santorum takes a lot of positions not endorsed by the Catholic Church, eg his views on intelligent design (and his connections to the Discovery Institute) and the death penalty, so much so that its easier to think of him as an evangelical candidate than a Catholic one.

My understanding of the Catholic Church's view of evolution is that there isn't a view other than God's role cannot be denied and the presence of original sin. This generally results in "theistic evolution" but as far as I can tell, the Catholic Church never actually denounced intelligent design, leaving Santorum free to believe in it or not and still be in agreement with Church teachings. This is not the case for the death penalty, which Santorum seems to support, nor some of his foreign policy views....but I don't really see anyone else who's closer to the Church's teachings (Gingrich? Biden? lol).
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2011, 12:32:28 AM »

My understanding of the Catholic Church's view of evolution is that there isn't a view other than God's role cannot be denied and the presence of original sin. This generally results in "theistic evolution" but as far as I can tell, the Catholic Church never actually denounced intelligent design, leaving Santorum free to believe in it or not and still be in agreement with Church teachings. This is not the case for the death penalty, which Santorum seems to support, nor some of his foreign policy views....but I don't really see anyone else who's closer to the Church's teachings (Gingrich? Biden? lol).

The Church has supported the findings of science on matters of evolution for quite some time now (guided by God, of course), though it doesn't generally actively condemn intelligent design (though it does on occasion). Santorum can technically believe in ID, but that's not the mainstream in Catholicism nor is it in line with what is taught. There exists no candidate who follows the Church's teachings in the race, but that is typical as the Church's teachings don't easily fit in American political discourse.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies