Loving the 1980s: PART ONE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:19:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Loving the 1980s: PART ONE
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Loving the 1980s: PART ONE  (Read 8027 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2011, 05:23:41 PM »

If anybody has heard of myself, Reaganfan, than you will know I hold the decade of the 1980s in high regard. This is for a number of reasons of which I would like to share to help give those who may not be all that enthusiastic about the decade a little new light into what made the 1980s so spectacular.

Popular culture.

For sure, pop culture is the most memorable aspect of the 1980s. Remember, at the time, most of the entertainers, film-makers, ect were those who grew up in the 1950s and 1960s, thus the amount of "Happy Days" pop culture reflecting on the "Glory Days" of the 1950s and 1960s.

Everything from "Back to the Future" (escaping the present and going into the happy days of 1955) to hit songs like "Summer of '69" (despite having nothing to do with the year 1969) and "'65 Love Affair" where teens in the 1980s were somehow supposed to reflect on love affairs they had in 1965. That song clearly was aimed at those who were already in the 30s and 40s, and was originally titled "'55 Love Affair".

The popular culture combined the traditional Reagan-era family values with the retrospecting of the 1950s to allow a picturesque decade.

It was a decade where people embraced business and opportunity. Even film villain's like "Gordon Gekko" became almost a protagonist to the viewer. Indeed, his return in 2010's "Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps" almost shows him a savior of the Obama era who can help bring us back to the days of Reaganomics.

It was a decade where even liberal music agenda's were embraced as patriotic. Ronald Reagan's re-election campaign jumped the opportunity with Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A." and people drowned out the verses which clearly spoke a nihilistic attitude towards the era of Ronald Reagan. But people heard simply, "BORN IN THE U.S.A." as a patriotic anthem of sorts coinciding with the right-wing President's prodigious and colossal re-election victory.

Even Madonna can be added into the mix. As Reagan began his second term and continued to try and boost the economy further from the gains made in the first four years, radio's blared out with such phrases as, "We are living in a material world".

Styles. Oh boy. I'm gonna get scalded for this one. YES, I like the styles, especially women's hairstyles, in the 1980s. Keep in mind out here in Ohio, much of these hairstyles continued until around 1994 or so when the "Rachel from Friends" look was in. Even as a boy, I was not pleased and I remember saying so a good 10-15 years ago, even.

When teens in the 2010s try to throw 80s parties, they fail miserably. Sure, they put on leg warmers and make their hair look big, but they miss just how insanely peculiar the styles of the 1980s were.

Look at the woman on the left:

I think she's smokin' hot. Gorgeous. Of course that's my personal opinion, but that is an authentic yearbook photo from 1987.

Now some teen girls throwing their 80s party think that THIS is 80s hair:

...it's not.

If you wanna throw an 80s party and you're a teenage girl, go into your mom's closet. Find her curling iron, pump high heels, some black or tan pantyhose, a tight skirt and a blouse (without shoulder pads, even die hard 80s fans detest those) and then put in some of her hoop earrings and then maybe you can pull it off. That's 80s fashion, not "like...OMG...WTF....I have leg warmers LOL".

Another thing about girls of the 80s.

Look at this woman:

Beautiful, glamorous, mature, elegant woman. 29, 32, 35 years old? Maybe 40 years old? right?

Wrong. That is a photo of an 18 year old girl from her senior yearbook. What a difference from 18 year old girls today who essentially look like kids.

Indeed, given my history and my predisposition for dating older women, I'd much rather prefer 18 year olds still looked like this:

Basically, girls looked older.

Everything in the 1980s was old. Indeed, movies had older stars, the characters they played were often older, musicians whom teens were listening to the radio were older, girls looked older, and the President of the United States was the oldest in history.

Take the film "Three Men and a Baby". Three men all near 40 having to take care of a baby left on the doorstep. How much you wanna bet that if they remade that (shudder) they would have Zak Efron in talks to be one of the guys? It wasn't "Three Dudes and a Baby".

Or how about the film, "Look Who's Talking"? Kirstie Alley plays a 33 year old woman who has an affair with her 50-something year old boss and John Travolta plays a cab driver in his late 30s who becomes a father figure. If they remade this, how much you wanna bet frickin' Miley Cyrus would play the part once played by a 33 year old woman? It's all about the age that makes the difference.

People young and old are always asking, "Why does the pop culture today suck?" The answer is because it's kids who aren't even old enough or intelligent enough making it all the way. Who cares how many times Kim Kardashian has been diddled, or about the girls who are sixteen and pregnant. They reap what they sow but thrusting it (no pun intended) down people's throats is unwarranted.

It seems we had lots of things that were just naturally older or more laid back in the 1980s. Could that be why the 80s were so conservative? I disagree. I think the liberalism of the 1960s and 1970s permanently moved America towards conservatism. 

TO BE CONTINUED....
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 05:29:47 PM »

I love you.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 05:30:27 PM »

Exceeellllenttt.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »

If Naso has not seen To Live and Die in L.A. we should just call him a poser.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »

Well done Naso.  Those modern-day girls in your photo are fat.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:30:36 PM »

Leave it to Naso to think Gordon Gekko was a good guy.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 07:33:49 PM »

Or that a movie set in 2008 is about the "Obama era"
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 07:34:33 PM »

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 07:39:40 PM »

This can NOT be happening!!!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 08:28:29 PM »

YEAHHH!!!!!!
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 09:28:45 PM »

Are you old enough to remember the 80's?
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 09:49:10 PM »

Who is your favorite 1980's band? I love the The Cure, R.E.M, Dead Kennedy's, Minor Threat, and tons of alt rock/punk that define the 1980's. The worst bands have to be Posion and all the other greddy Reagan loving bands that seem to come to mind when most people think of the 1980's. I love Metallica and Iron Maiden but will never come to enjoy any of this hair sh**t that 80's lovers seem to enjoy. The critics agree with me and that telling me something. I have to admit some pop songs such as "Your the best" and Obsession were tha s**tnutz.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 10:03:50 PM »

If you like the 80s, then you'll probably like this song Naso:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b7cj4zWiyo

This song, however, was made in 2009.  Those who didn't think the 80s would come back were kidding themselves.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 10:09:02 PM »

Che bella...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 10:15:39 PM »

If you like the 80s, then you'll probably like this song Naso:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b7cj4zWiyo

This song, however, was made in 2009.  Those who didn't think the 80s would come back were kidding themselves.

Not quite as 80's as that song, but Arcade Fire made a good effort last year.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 10:22:24 PM »

I personally am sick of hearing both 80's and modern pop on my mom's morning radio show, so I can't sympathize with ya there. I take my music from the Johnson/Nixon era mostly. Also, I tend to like the hot girls in my class to stay that way.  Just a few comments as I can't think of more right now, but in sure I have some.

Really? 80's pop? Really? I tend to dislike pop in general, but you have to choose the 80's? Faked drums, faked strings, & the decade I blame for the keyboard being reduced into merely something to imitate other instruments.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 11:00:14 PM »

(Turn around, bright eyes).
Every now and then Naso falls apart...
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 11:20:30 PM »

Mmmm. The decade of AIDS, crack, violent crime, and teenage pregnancy. Love it.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 11:21:32 PM »

Yeah the Obama Era is certainly going by fast...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 11:22:17 PM »

Only liberals participated in any of that foolery.  Real Americans followed Nancy Reagan's lead and put down the smack pipe.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 11:30:37 PM »

Thank God Bill Clinton put an end to all of those!!!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 11:32:07 PM »

I'm pretty sure all four of those declined during his presidency.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 11:33:35 PM »

lol @ above hackery assuming AIDS, crack, violent crime, and teenage pregnancy has anything to do with the President.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 11:34:50 PM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 11:35:59 PM »

lol @ above hackery assuming AIDS, crack, violent crime, and teenage pregnancy has anything to do with the President.

In fairness, Naso was referring to what currently goes on inside the White House, not society at large.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies