John F Kennedy Political Ideology
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:54:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  John F Kennedy Political Ideology
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which is JFK most fit to?
Liberal

Conservative

Libertarian

Moderate

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: John F Kennedy Political Ideology  (Read 10167 times)
futurepres
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.97, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:31:54 PM »

Which is most like JFK?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 07:34:35 PM »

Center-Left. More Liberal then Moderate.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 09:16:40 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2011, 09:18:22 PM by Paul Kemp »

I'd say he's actually fairly close to Obama, whatever that may be. Liberal in ideology but center right in practice.

Economically moderate, hawkish, while walking a fine line on social issues (JFK resisted civil rights as long as he could; Obama hesitant on many gay rights issues besides DADT obviously).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 11:09:12 PM »

Center-left (to the left of Obama).

Here's his acceptance speech for the Liberal party nomination.
http://www.liberalparty.org/JFKLPAcceptance.html
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 08:24:19 AM »

Good speech but not exactly what he practiced.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:00:47 AM »

Center-left, though he is loved by many right-wingers due to his anti-communist and tax cutting polices.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 11:01:24 AM »

I'd say he was a moderate. In 1960, two of the major things that got him elected were the fabled "missile gap" and his anticommunist rhetoric. Once in office, he did a conservative thing and cut taxes, but also did a liberal (maybe libertarian?) thing and scaled back the Bay of Pigs invasion to the point where it turned into a failure.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 11:04:12 AM »

Old sense liberal. (No, not the same thing as "current European sense" either, which would be a worse fit.) So, basically, wishy-washy-center-left except where it mattered. And not a lot of intellectual depth behind.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 12:36:52 PM »

Center-right because of the tax-cut policies. Remember Nixon was more left leaning than JFK.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 03:34:36 PM »

Nixon did a complete 180 past 1960. Nixon lost 1960 because he didn't have Ike's full support, was cocky, didn't take advice, and focused on going to all 50 states, when he could of visited the key ones and won. He also was focused on some stupid islands near China, that were basically rocks, and controlled by Taiwan, while viewing Cuba with isolation. He was the biggest Civil Rights supporter of either party, yet couldn't get MLK's endorsement. Fast forward to 1968, he is seemingly a center right, Republican copy of circa 1960s Kennedy. And Nixon was a fairly center left President, so I think Kennedy has to be center left as well.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 03:56:18 PM »

Nixon did a complete 180 past 1960. Nixon lost 1960 because he didn't have Ike's full support, was cocky, didn't take advice, and focused on going to all 50 states, when he could of visited the key ones and won. He also was focused on some stupid islands near China, that were basically rocks, and controlled by Taiwan, while viewing Cuba with isolation. He was the biggest Civil Rights supporter of either party, yet couldn't get MLK's endorsement. Fast forward to 1968, he is seemingly a center right, Republican copy of circa 1960s Kennedy. And Nixon was a fairly center left President, so I think Kennedy has to be center left as well.

I don't really understand where you get this idea that Nixon=Kennedy.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 04:05:13 PM »

I don't really understand where you get this idea that Nixon=Kennedy.
Well, it is a Stephen Ambrose history Im reading, so I could be wrong...
Guderian

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 04:13:11 PM »

Very flexible. This is usually true for the noblesse oblige types that get involved in politics (hence, Willard Mitt Romney). His program was mostly about unleashing personal awesomeness of Jack Kennedy on the world and making it a better place just by doing so.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 04:18:36 PM »

Center-right because of the tax-cut policies. Remember Nixon was more left leaning than JFK.

Just because he cut taxes doesn't mean Kennedy was center-right. Obama has done the same but I'm sure you would call him a left-wing extremist.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 06:56:03 PM »

Does it really matter? Kennedy was a do nothing President, morally bankrupt, who is only loved for being killed. Had he lived, and Nixon won the 1962 gubernatorial election, I could see Nixon making a comeback in '64.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 06:34:07 AM »

erm...No.

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 06:41:54 AM »

Sexgod Inc. TM
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 06:47:38 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2011, 06:50:50 AM by Rip Marky Mark »

If Kennedy was a "do nothing President" wouldn't Sanchez actually like him?  Especially considering that expanding government is usually something done by "activist" Presidents?

And yes, I'm including so-called "OMG CONSERVATIVE HERO!!!!" Ronald Reagan when I say "activist" Presidents.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 08:20:21 AM »

Does it really matter? Kennedy was a do nothing President, morally bankrupt, who is only loved for being killed. Had he lived, and Nixon won the 1962 gubernatorial election, I could see Nixon making a comeback in '64.

Even if I'm one of the least Kennedy-loving liberals on Atlas, I have to say this...

If you're going to reefer to a guy who, among other things, managed to avoid a nuclear holocaust in 1962, enforced desegregation at Alabama and Mississippi Universities, established Peace Corps and Food for Peace programs, gave a new energy to the space race, as "do nothing", than what the f**k is "do something" President?
futurepres
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.97, S: -5.13

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 05:07:44 AM »

Kennedy was in favor of tax cuts and tried to avoid war. Still other factors to consider.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 06:09:58 AM »

One of the more Conservative Presidents of the era, but that's not saying much. He cut taxes & actually intended to have a balanced budget. However, I'm not gonna be a hack & label him outright conservative.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:54 AM »

Cutting taxes isn't inherently conservative.  Neither is a balanced budget.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 05:05:36 PM »

In theory, an idealistic, "liberal" Democrat for his time.

In practice...he governed from the "center" and didn't really side with either business or labor, yet ultimately, like all Presidents, was an Establishment figure, for all intents and purpose. His vision of government was an idealistic one of technocratic, intellectual leaders. He also lent credence to the "meritocracy", being a Catholic who became President (if one ignores, of course, that he came from an extremely wealthy and well-connected family that happened to be Catholic.)

Being from a wealthy Irish Catholic family from the Northeast, he appealed to both urban laborers and upwardly mobile, non-WASP members of the professional class. This appeal-someone who was elite, yet could be a sort of counter-Establishment figure to the good ole boys WASP club-made him quite significant as a figure for inspiration to others.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 06:32:58 PM »

I was watching the 1960 Presidential Debates... and being a bit of a Kennedy buff...

I think to call him morally bankrupt has to more to do with his father and his personal behaviour, which has nothing to do with his governing.

Foreign policy: hawkish in rhetoric (you had to be) but balanced the desire for peace with the threat of action if threatened - potentially bogging down in Vietnam (depends on what evidence you read) : moderate

Domestic policy: advocated for equal pay, became a champion for civil rights (albeit reluctantly), abolished the death penalty in DC and immigration liberalisation: Liberal

Economics: Increased Government spending and saw a massive reversal in the economic growth patterns from 1% - 5.5% average GDP growth (continued into Johnson's term), unemployment reduced, but also reduced taxes where appropriate: Liberal/moderate

On issues like Abortion/Gun control - I think he probably favoured some kind of moderate gun control (I did read some comment in which he seemed concerned about the availability of guns) - there is however, no single public comment on abortion... my gut tells me, he was probably pro-life.

Overall... JFK was more a liberal-leaning moderate, than the other way around.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 11:26:24 PM »

Moderate populist liberal.  More liberal than moderate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies