John F Kennedy Political Ideology
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:07:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  John F Kennedy Political Ideology
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which is JFK most fit to?
Liberal

Conservative

Libertarian

Moderate

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: John F Kennedy Political Ideology  (Read 10166 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 11:30:54 PM »

A flexible moderate liberal, not afraid to occasionally step out of his party's traditional comfort zone in efforts of good faith, who also very much favored citizen participation in politics, and humanitarian efforts abroad.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 07:33:08 PM »

I was watching the 1960 Presidential Debates... and being a bit of a Kennedy buff...

I think to call him morally bankrupt has to more to do with his father and his personal behaviour, which has nothing to do with his governing.

Foreign policy: hawkish in rhetoric (you had to be) but balanced the desire for peace with the threat of action if threatened - potentially bogging down in Vietnam (depends on what evidence you read) : moderate

Domestic policy: advocated for equal pay, became a champion for civil rights (albeit reluctantly), abolished the death penalty in DC and immigration liberalisation: Liberal

Economics: Increased Government spending and saw a massive reversal in the economic growth patterns from 1% - 5.5% average GDP growth (continued into Johnson's term), unemployment reduced, but also reduced taxes where appropriate: Liberal/moderate

On issues like Abortion/Gun control - I think he probably favoured some kind of moderate gun control (I did read some comment in which he seemed concerned about the availability of guns) - there is however, no single public comment on abortion... my gut tells me, he was probably pro-life.

Overall... JFK was more a liberal-leaning moderate, than the other way around.

This. Though hiking the minimum wage, creating federal PEUs and would-be UHC "Medicare for all by '62" should also be filed under the "liberal" part of liberal-leaning moderate. Intraparty, a firmly centrist Democrat. On abortion, probably pro-life like Bobby was. All 3 of them were pro gun control, though only RFK had extensive experience with firearms.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies