Confirmation of StevenNick for SoFA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:47:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation of StevenNick for SoFA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation of StevenNick for SoFA  (Read 2847 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2004, 07:27:13 PM »

I urge Senate members to use this time to debate whether or not Senator StevenNick should be confirmed as the next SoFA.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 03:56:09 AM »

Well I've not been sworn in yet so my opinion don't matter a great deal but...
StevenNick would be a bad choice. He's an ideologue and I don't think he'll cast his party to one side when making any decisions.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 04:02:12 AM »

Well, I'm going to bury the hatchet and say that I approve of the decision of StevenNick as SoFA.

If we can get amendments in place that eliminate the ambiguity of certain parts of the Constitution (or an entirely new Constitution with that included), the SoFA will be basically a nonpartisan job that won't leave anything up to subjectivity.  I trust StevenNick not to partake in activities like tossing liberal voters off of the list of registered voters and making blatantly partisan voting booths come election time, and as such, I think he would make a fine SoFA.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 07:19:23 AM »

I agree with Gabu.  SteveNick is an excellent choice, but we need to clarify certain parts of voting procedure so as to ensure that a SoFA cannot make biased decisions.  I'm sure members of the center and right wing had the same concerns about Fritz.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 11:25:11 AM »

I'm on the fence on this....Stevennick seems to have lately developed a vendetta against me, but then again I'm sure he's well qualified and will do a fine job.  So I'm going to have to think about this.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 11:27:28 AM »

I have nothing but the utmost respect for StevenNick. However, I do agree with the fact that election law needs to be made more clear. As it currently stands, it divests too much power into the hands of the SOFA.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 02:04:17 PM »

I can assure everyone that I will make decisions as Secretary of Forum Affairs that are based on the Constitution and the law and not on partisan politics.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 02:52:29 PM »

Out of curiousity, when will this vote be taking place?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 02:55:13 PM »

Whenever more than three current Senators decide they should fulfill their Senatorial duties and comment.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 03:07:16 PM »

Whenever more than three current Senators decide they should fulfill their Senatorial duties and comment.

I'm sorry, the above makes no sense. Your original post seems to indicate that this is simply a debate on the issue of StevenNicks confirmation. And rarely do we get all Senators to comment on cabinet picks before voting on them (hell, its rare they all bother to comment on the bills).

I urge Senate members to use this time to debate whether or not Senator StevenNick should be confirmed as the next SoFA.

Its almost as though we're waiting for some unspecified event to occur (I was thinking probably the new session starting)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 03:21:16 PM »

I'm sorry, the above makes no sense. Your original post seems to indicate that this is simply a debate on the issue of StevenNicks confirmation. And rarely do we get all Senators to comment on cabinet picks before voting on them (hell, its rare they all bother to comment on the bills).

And how doesn't it make sense? This is supposed to be a debate about whether or not to confirm StevenNick for the position of SoFA. Now it's not my problem if Senators rarely comment. It's what they are supposed to do, I reminded them of that and it's now in their hands. When a Senator, not the AG, calls for a vote, I will open the voting.

Its almost as though we're waiting for some unspecified event to occur (I was thinking probably the new session starting)
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't understand what you're saying. The members are waiting for the new Senate to debate/vote on this? If that's what you're saying, I would say that it's a bad idea to wait for that. StevenNick should be confirmed as soon as possible.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004, 03:26:24 PM »

Although I disagree with Stevenick politically, I am sure he will do a fine job as SOFA as long as he promises to be respect other political views.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2004, 03:43:24 PM »

StevenNick would be a bad choice. He's an ideologue and I don't think he'll cast his party to one side when making any decisions.

I hope none of this opinion has to do with the fact that he didn't endorse you, as AFRNC chairman, even after Texasgurl left the race.

Considering as he is now not in partisan politics and has said that he will not do things in a partisan manner, I think he would make an excellent choice. 

I'm sure those on the center and right might have had their concerns when Fritz was head of the AFDNC and SoFA about partisan crap, but he was a fair administrator through and through.

I'm sure that StevenNick will hold himself up to those high standards as well and use Fritz's precendents to govern elections until some new reform of the election procedure and the SoFA office, as Gabu is proposing, is passed.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2004, 03:52:45 PM »

I hope none of this opinion has to do with the fact that he didn't endorse you, as AFRNC chairman, even after Texasgurl left the race.

Nothing to do with that at all. What worries me is the fact that as a Senator he was a blatent obstructionist even on most moderate bills and was always howling for a veto.

I wouldn't mind so much if the President fires that idiot of a Chief of Staff
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 04:06:08 PM »

Nothing to do with that at all. What worries me is the fact that as a Senator he was a blatent obstructionist even on most moderate bills and was always howling for a veto.

I wouldn't mind so much if the President fires that idiot of a Chief of Staff

If StevenNick was such a blatant obstructionist, how come 5 of the 10 bills proposed on the page I am presently reading were proposed by him.  Doesn't matter whether they passed or not, obstructionists always complain or block, but never propose anything new.

Tom Daschle was an obstructionist.  Newt Gingrich in Congress, before 1994, was an obstructionist.

Second, what do you mean by "moderate bills"?

I'm sure the President wouldn't like you calling his Chief of Staff an idiot, but I'm sure he can deal with it in his own way.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2004, 04:23:50 PM »

This would be one of the reasons i'm leaving fantasy politics.
If the vote comes up before i leave i will certainly vote to confirm.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 03:51:12 PM »

I think in order to get this done quickly I will open the voting upon the confirmation of Stevennick as Secretary of Forum Affairs.

All Senators please vote Yea, Nay or abstain.

-----------------

An emphatic Yea.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2004, 03:57:53 PM »

Yea.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2004, 05:06:43 PM »

wait, does he resign from the senate upon confirmation?
does this mean we'll have to have a special election for his seat and the remaining few weeks?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2004, 05:19:50 PM »

wait, does he resign from the senate upon confirmation?
does this mean we'll have to have a special election for his seat and the remaining few weeks?

He resigns from the senate before swearing the oath, he can wait till January sixth to do all this if he so chooses.

Even so, we wouldn't have a special election methinks.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2004, 05:29:00 PM »

well regardless of the ramifactions of resigning and whatnot,

yea
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2004, 06:29:16 PM »

Yea

Congragulations Senator.  You'll fill Fritz's shoes nicely.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2004, 06:38:11 PM »

Yea
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon