SENATE BILL: Student Loan Protection Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:50:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Student Loan Protection Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Student Loan Protection Act (Law'd)  (Read 2967 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: September 02, 2011, 05:55:40 PM »

If you're going to attend a private, for profit business to obtain a degree, you should get your financial aid from private, for profit businesses who provide loans to customers of for profit colleges.

I shall, therefore, support this bill.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 06:00:29 PM »

To clarify:  I am on shaky ground providing financial aid to private universities and colleges that are not-for-profit, but I do understand the value that they provide to society and I do believe it is a good investment.

Private universities, for example, while costing more than a public university education, also tend to adhere more strictly to graduating students in 4 years.  6th and 7th year seniors are a rare thing at these colleges.

The distinction I make is with the profit status.  If for-profit colleges want to attract students, they can use their profits to subsidize the students' educations.

I might be open to allowing subsidized financial aid if a for-profit college can provide proof that it is placing graduates in jobs within their field of study at a similar or higher rate than traditional public and private higher education institutions.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 01:30:03 AM »

Sorry, I don't think I'm asking unreasonable questions here... Also how do we define 'for-profit'?

Because how you define that term will in fact impact other institutions...
I don't think it's really that hard to define "for-profit"...
If they advertise on TV... they're for profit Tongue

"one day, one night, saturday's alright.. online's just fine, night time any time... get your degree, set yourself free.. National American University!"

yeah...
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 10:39:10 PM »

I think the amendment looks good.  I'm glad Duke distinguishes between "profitable" athletic events, etc (the profits therefrom being used mostly for improvement of those programs or for scholarships to students participating in those programs).

There should be a definite, clear difference between profiting off of an athletic event where everyone shows up and buys a ticket... and charging tuition and then encouraging students to use subsidized student loans to pay it, thus giving the private for-profit college higher profits.

We should be subsidizing college educations at institutions that enrich peoples' lives, not peoples' pockets.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:59:36 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies