vote to override the Marijuana Legalization Veto
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:52:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  vote to override the Marijuana Legalization Veto
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: vote to override the Marijuana Legalization Veto  (Read 3568 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2004, 06:34:38 AM »

I may loose it, but I still want to give it a shot.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 07:17:47 AM »

As Senator of the Atlantic Ocean, I support this legislation.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 07:22:42 AM »

Abstain. 
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 08:02:54 AM »

Its actions like these by certain Senators that really wind me up.

Bono, you knew full well that this bill does not have anything approaching broad support and that if it achieved passage it would cause a legal crisis, and yet you have persisted in pushing this bill. You have just lost my respect.

As information to Senators:

Before casting your vote, bear this in mind: If the override passes by the same majority, i.e. 3-1-5, then that will constitute a two-thirds majority under the precedent that JFK has set on my advice. There is no doubt that this will then end in Court (something I would prefer to avoid) if this bill makes it into Law.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 09:43:50 AM »

There is no reasonable challenge to be made. If 5 abstain and 4 vote, and 3 of the 4 vote in favor of it, that is a two thirds majority.

I applaud Bono for standing up for liberty in Atlasia.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 09:52:57 AM »

I've thought (and read) about this some more, and I hereby rescind my previous advice in this thread. Fortunately the wording of the Constitution is skewed in our favour this time:

Article I, Section 5, Clause 5:
"...But if he or she shall veto it, the bill or resolution shall be of no effect unless the Senate shall vote, two-thirds of the Senators concurring, to override the President's veto."

Effectively out of the ten senators present, seven must vote to override the veto for the bill to become law.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 09:56:04 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2004, 10:08:39 AM by Lt. Gov. thisblur7, The Artist soon to be known once again as Lewis Trondheim »

Bono, you knew full well that this bill does not have anything approaching broad support and that if it achieved passage it would cause a legal crisis, and yet you have persisted in pushing this bill. You have just lost my respect.

Before casting your vote, bear this in mind: If the override passes by the same majority, i.e. 3-1-5, then that will constitute a two-thirds majority under the precedent that JFK has set on my advice. There is no doubt that this will then end in Court (something I would prefer to avoid) if this bill makes it into Law.
Would Senators be able to state that they won't vote, or would that be counted as a blank vote?
We of the Pacific region administration have determined just a few days back - also on the matter of a marijuana vote - that abstentions do not count as votes, and that 5-3 with one abstention was a veto-proof majority (this requires 60% consent, according to the Pacific constitution.) Not that this mattered in this case, since the governor wouldn't have vetoed the bill anyways.

Ah - Pete's comment has just come in. Yes, that is what we had in mind when the Constitution was new.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 10:06:07 AM »

This was one of my biggest campaign promises. I'll still try to convince more senators to vote in favor, but I feel very strongly about this, and I'm not letting this go lightly. I would be defrauding all the people who voted for me, including you, if I'd let this go without trying to overturn it.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 10:21:16 AM »

"...But if he or she shall veto it, the bill or resolution shall be of no effect unless the Senate shall vote, two-thirds of the Senators concurring, to override the President's veto."

Two thirds of the Senators that exist or two thirds of the Senators voting? I think the latter makes more sense. If they disagree with the bill so much, they'll vote against it. An "abstain" vote is basically saying, let the vote go on without me.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 10:25:22 AM »

Two thirds of the Senators that exist or two thirds of the Senators voting? I think the latter makes more sense. If they disagree with the bill so much, they'll vote against it. An "abstain" vote is basically saying, let the vote go on without me.

I read it as two-thirds of the Senators that exist. If we assume your interpretation of abstain, an interpretation I have rejected, then the Bill never passed in the first place because only four Senators actually voted, and a majority is necessary for a vote to be valid.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 10:27:28 AM »

Then pass an amendment to abolish such a silly rule. All that does is make "abstain" another way of saying "no." What else is the difference?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004, 10:28:42 AM »

Then pass an amendment to abolish such a silly rule. All that does is make "abstain" another way of saying "no." What else is the difference?
On an overrride, that is indeed the case, in the real US too IIRC.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2004, 10:32:06 AM »

Only in override votes though, not in standard votes, as was evidenced in this bill getting passed 3-1-5 in the first place.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2004, 10:49:25 AM »

I vote yea to override.

I would urge all Senators to take a position on this one way or another, if that is at all possible. I feel that having half the Senate abstain is not a good situation for our country.

If you can't make up your mind one way or another, I would advise voting no. Although I support the bill, I do feel that there should be a bias in favor of current law and against change if a Senator is undecided about the worthiness of this legislation.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 11:19:20 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2004, 11:21:18 AM by Philip »

Better to be too free than not free enough. The bias should be on the side of freedom.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2004, 11:30:08 AM »

I'm going to have to vote AYE on this.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2004, 11:40:17 AM »

LSMLL (Minnesota Squadron) has arrived to picket outside the capital building, with signs reading, 'Yay, PBrunsel did something right!', 'JUST SAY NAY!', and 'Caffeine is a way better drug!  Drink lattes!'
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2004, 01:39:48 PM »

A firm and determined Nay.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2004, 02:05:12 PM »

Nay.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2004, 03:29:36 PM »

Nay

This bill does not help drug users stay free or give the government any long term investments.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2004, 04:00:31 PM »

LSMLL (Minnesota Squadron) has arrived to picket outside the capital building, with signs reading, 'Yay, PBrunsel did something right!', 'JUST SAY NAY!', and 'Caffeine is a way better drug!  Drink lattes!'

The Maryland squadron stands with Nym and Harry. We have to start somewhere, although we like True Democrat's bill better.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2004, 04:26:39 PM »

I vote yea to override.

I would urge all Senators to take a position on this one way or another, if that is at all possible. I feel that having half the Senate abstain is not a good situation for our country.

If you can't make up your mind one way or another, I would advise voting no. Although I support the bill, I do feel that there should be a bias in favor of current law and against change if a Senator is undecided about the worthiness of this legislation.
Nay.
I abstained on the first vote as a professional courtesy to bono because i knew it wouldn't pass anyway.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2004, 05:02:08 PM »

The Maryland squadron stands with Nym and Harry. We have to start somewhere, although we like True Democrat's bill better.

The Minnesota Squadron considered fighting, then realized that we don't want to fight our fellow Suburban Liberals.  The Minnesota squadron proposes starting a joint-latte-dispensing booth for all protestors involved Smiley
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2004, 05:26:07 PM »

The Minnesota Squadron considered fighting, then realized that we don't want to fight our fellow Suburban Liberals.  The Minnesota squadron proposes starting a joint-latte-dispensing booth for all protestors involved Smiley

Us Marylanders agree. We will not fight you, we will share a latte booth with you Smiley

Now let's shut up and let the Senate deliberate.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2004, 07:05:51 PM »

4-2-1 NAY, I believe a 2/3 majority is required, so unless 4 of the 3 Senators vote Aye, motion to override is denied.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies