IA PrimR: Rasmussen: Perry ahead by double-digits
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:31:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  IA PrimR: Rasmussen: Perry ahead by double-digits
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IA PrimR: Rasmussen: Perry ahead by double-digits  (Read 1583 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:57:58 AM »

New Poll: Iowa President by Rasmussen on 2011-08-31

Summary:
Perry:
29%
Bachmann:
18%
Romney:
17%
Paul:
14%
Other:
13%
Undecided:
9%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 09:00:40 AM »

Fits what PPP polled earlier.  Although Perry has extended his lead.

Paul should definately focus on Iowa, it's the only place where he has this much support.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 12:40:25 PM »

I would say Paul coming in 2nd ahead of Romney and Bachmann would be fun, but it's quite obvious that it would go unnoticed.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:33:04 PM »

I would say Paul coming in 2nd ahead of Romney and Bachmann would be fun, but it's quite obvious that it would go unnoticed.

Paul who?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 11:45:16 AM »

It's a small population.  Me and jbrase account for half of that 14%.  Wonder who the other two are?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 05:02:07 PM »

It's a small population.  Me and jbrase account for half of that 14%.  Wonder who the other two are?

I am back in Texas so I don't count. But my Dad and Grandpa are Paul supporters now so that makes up for it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 05:01:12 AM »

If Perry is crowned IA winner well in advance, a Paul 2nd place might grab some headlines.
Guderian

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 05:16:38 AM »

I wonder how wise it is for Romney to somewhat ignore Iowa this time. Possible 4th place finish would look ugly.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 05:26:17 AM »

I wonder how wise it is for Romney to somewhat ignore Iowa this time. Possible 4th place finish would look ugly.

McCain finished 4th in Iowa in 2008, and it didn't hurt him at all.  I think Romney should only compete hard in Iowa if he actually thinks he can win it (which seems unlikely).  If it looks like Perry's going to win Iowa, then Romney's better off letting Bachmann win 2nd place, so that she stays in the race longer and takes votes from Perry.

This:

1) Perry
2) Bachmann
3) Paul
4) Romney

would actually be a better Iowa result for Romney than this:

1) Perry
2) Romney
3) Bachmann
4) Paul
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 05:49:53 AM »

As people get to know more about Perry, his numbers will crumble.

Guderian

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 07:04:27 AM »

McCain finished 4th in Iowa in 2008, and it didn't hurt him at all.  I think Romney should only compete hard in Iowa if he actually thinks he can win it (which seems unlikely).  If it looks like Perry's going to win Iowa, then Romney's better off letting Bachmann win 2nd place, so that she stays in the race longer and takes votes from Perry.

This:

1) Perry
2) Bachmann
3) Paul
4) Romney

1) Perry
2) Romney
3) Bachmann
4) Paul

But McCain made a point in ignoring Iowa all along. Romney practically lived there in late 2007, and McCain was always an insurgent type, not a favorite or co-favorite like Romney. Also, I think Bachmann is done if she doesn't win Iowa since she decided to go all-in there. Not in a sense that she would drop out after a second place finish, but realistically how is she going to win the nomination if Perry wins Iowa? Her fundraising and media attention would evaporate.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 07:53:52 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2011, 07:58:03 AM by Mr. Morden »

McCain finished 4th in Iowa in 2008, and it didn't hurt him at all.  I think Romney should only compete hard in Iowa if he actually thinks he can win it (which seems unlikely).  If it looks like Perry's going to win Iowa, then Romney's better off letting Bachmann win 2nd place, so that she stays in the race longer and takes votes from Perry.

This:

1) Perry
2) Bachmann
3) Paul
4) Romney

1) Perry
2) Romney
3) Bachmann
4) Paul

But McCain made a point in ignoring Iowa all along.

Not at all.  McCain made an effort there in the first half of 2007, but then when his campaign imploded in the summer, he started focusing everything on NH.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Huh?  McCain was the early frontrunner for the 2008 GOP nomination.  Though of course, he ended up losing that status, before ultimately regaining it just before the voting started.

Romney hasn't run a single ad in Iowa to date this time around.  I really don't think he's going to pay a price for coming in 4th there if he decides to never run an ad there and does little to no campaigning in the state.  People will recognize that it's just not part of his nomination strategy to compete there, same as McCain in 2008.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It doesn't matter if 2nd place dooms her chances.  Her chances are already doomed anyway.  The question is simply whether she decides to stick in the race and drain at least a few % from Perry in future primaries (thus helping Romney).  If she comes 2nd place in Iowa, there's every likelihood that she'll keep going, at least for a while.  When has anyone ever come in 2nd place in Iowa and immediately dropped out?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 08:17:32 AM »

a couple months ago I asked a question: is there a way for Romney to try to compete in Iowa without making it look like he's trying to compete? 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies