California State Senate to Vote on Abolishing Write-in Space on General Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:57:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  California State Senate to Vote on Abolishing Write-in Space on General Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California State Senate to Vote on Abolishing Write-in Space on General Election  (Read 1022 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2011, 02:21:00 AM »

California State Senate to Vote on Abolishing Write-in Space on General Election Ballots on Wednesday, September 7

September 6th, 2011

The California Senate will vote on Wednesday, September 7, on AB 1413.

http://www.ballot-access.org/
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:26:12 AM »

That is rather sickening.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 02:43:39 AM »

It seems they really don't want people to be able to cast protest votes. Somehow I am not surprised.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 04:06:12 AM »

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 05:13:53 AM »

I don't know if I'd call it sickening, but yeah, this doesn't seem like a good idea in any way.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:15:16 AM »

I don't know if I'd call it sickening, but yeah, this doesn't seem like a good idea in any way.

This.  Mickey Mouse will not be pleased.  Goofy bastards.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 05:34:51 AM »

I don't think a write-in is necessary if ballot access restrictions are reasonable. Unfortunately that's not the case in most states.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 05:48:06 AM »

Presumably you would still be able to spoil your ballot, or does the bizarre American obsession with stupid voting machines get in the way of that?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 06:10:30 AM »

Presumably you would still be able to spoil your ballot, or does the bizarre American obsession with stupid voting machines get in the way of that?

You can still spoil whatever you want, but it isn't generally reported as an invalid vote. It's just not included in the total.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 07:11:56 AM »

The Diebold machines that Georgia uses will allow you to leave a race blank, but don't let you spoil your ballot in any other way. The older machines that Louisiana used (it was a giant paper ballot, about four feet wide, mounted on a machine where you click a candidate's box and a little red X lights up) had another little red X in the top-left corner of the ballot item that would light up if you didn't have the correct amount of boxes checked for that race (I.E., 2 for the New Orleans at large city council seat(s) and 1 for everything else) but it let me submit an undervote so I'm pretty sure it would let you submit an overvote as well. Louisiana doesn't do write-ins, though, but that's not as big of a deal because it's incredibly easy to get on the ballot in the state.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 07:40:17 AM »

This isn't an isolated example of state legislators having a desire to do whatever they can to quell voters.

They are currently trying to block referendum.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/09/democratic-effort-to-avoid-californiaama.html
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 11:33:19 AM »

This isn't an isolated example of state legislators having a desire to do whatever they can to quell voters.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/09/democratic-effort-to-avoid-californiaama.html

Well, considering than all they are in trouble because voters by referendum to block taxes and to force some expenses, that is perhaps a good idea.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 11:46:37 AM »

Five states (Hawaii, South Dakota, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Nevada) have already done this, so, while sad, it's not exactly revolutionary nor is it a California-exclusive effort.

And, fwiw, California and Washington, for that matter, should be fighting the referendum power in their states, but this is not about that.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 11:54:49 AM »

It is a stupid idea.  It is the Senate saying, "Let's limit the voter's choice on who to elect."  In some smaller municipalities, it might actually prevent a candidate from getting elected.

Maybe they can translate some old USSR statutes.  Sad
BigSkyBob

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 12:31:47 PM »

Since write-ins are perfectly acceptable for the primary,  voters just will have to accept the fact that the top two vote getters in the primary are the two finalists in November. People with a problem with this fact ought to work to abolish the open primary system.

The only issue I have is that pesky detail called the Constitution.  In past Lousianna open primaries, candidates winning an absolute majority in the primary ran unopposed in November. This was declared unconstitutional since the Constitution states the date federal elections are to take place. It is an interesting  Constitutional question to ask, "If the states can't use the primary to restrict election day to one candidate, why does the Constitution allow states to use the primary to restrict election day to two candidates?"

This objection would only apply to Federal offices. I don't know what the California Constitution reads about this matter.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 12:50:54 PM »

I wrote in Alfred E. Newman once for state assembly contest.  It was 2002 and I was living in Alameda County, just inland from Oakland, and both the Democrat and Republican were spamming me with about five pieces per day.  All negative.  They had several televised debates on the local access channel.  It was getting pretty tiresome.

The Newman vote would not be counted, I learned later, since Alfred E. Newman was not a legitimate write-in candidate.  It would have the same effect as if I'd not voted in that race, I later learned.  Like just skipping that race, or leaving it blank, but voting in all the rest of them.  Same effect maybe, but not as satisfactory.  Somehow, it's just not as cathartic to skip it.  I think I'm against the proposal.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 12:57:18 PM »

I wrote in Alfred E. Newman once for state assembly contest.  It was 2002 and I was living in Alameda County, just inland from Oakland, and both the Democrat and Republican were spamming me with about five pieces per day.  All negative.  They had several televised debates on the local access channel.  It was getting pretty tiresome.

The Newman vote would not be counted, I learned later, since Alfred E. Newman was not a legitimate write-in candidate.  It would have the same effect as if I'd not voted in that race, I later learned.  Like just skipping that race, or leaving it blank, but voting in all the rest of them.  Same effect maybe, but not as satisfactory.  Somehow, it's just not as cathartic to skip it.  I think I'm against the proposal.

Actually, it can even be worse. In Minnesota Senate election of 2008, one voter cast a series of write-in votes for "Mickey Mouse" for minor offices. He did cast a vote for Norm Coleman. Al Franken challenged his vote for Coleman based on the idea the ballot had an "identifying mark."

The political class does not take kindly to being mocked.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 01:04:57 PM »

The political class does not take kindly to being mocked.

Although, at least in Franken's case, they don't have any qualms about mocking others. 

Well, of course the idea of not voting in a particular race on a ballot has occurred to many people, and it'd probably be simpler to just have folks leave it blank.  And that would preclude the problem you mention, but that still leaves the problem of what to do when legitimate write-in candidates exist.  Having ballots prepared with an "other: ______ " option available is a cost-effective and sensible way to deal with the problem.  Otherwise, you'd have to change write-in candidate rules in a way that they have registration deadlines that occur in time to have ballots printed.  But if you're going to do all that, then why would they be a write-in candidate in the first place?  You could have their names spelled out properly if that were the case. 
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 05:55:42 PM »

Trying to block a referendum? A state after my own heart.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 12:06:27 AM »

Since write-ins are perfectly acceptable for the primary,  voters just will have to accept the fact that the top two vote getters in the primary are the two finalists in November. People with a problem with this fact ought to work to abolish the open primary system.

The only issue I have is that pesky detail called the Constitution.  In past Lousianna open primaries, candidates winning an absolute majority in the primary ran unopposed in November. This was declared unconstitutional since the Constitution states the date federal elections are to take place. It is an interesting  Constitutional question to ask, "If the states can't use the primary to restrict election day to one candidate, why does the Constitution allow states to use the primary to restrict election day to two candidates?"

This objection would only apply to Federal offices. I don't know what the California Constitution reads about this matter.

Exactly, while I voted against it, a majority of the voters voted to have only 2 candidates in the general election.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 12:07:33 AM »

Trying to block a referendum? A state after my own heart.

I think it's pretty clear that Amazon's referendum will fail, they just want to continue to not collect sales tax for another 9 months.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies