SENATE BILL: OSPR Amendment (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:38:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: OSPR Amendment (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: OSPR Amendment (Passed)  (Read 8098 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »

Third times the charm on changing that topic line, by the way. Wink Stupid connection. Angry
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2011, 07:36:17 PM »

aye
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2011, 09:27:19 PM »

Aye
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2011, 09:27:58 PM »

Aye
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2011, 09:38:02 PM »

Nay.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 06:36:49 PM »

Repeal Article 3, Section 3, so that the intent of Article 10, Section 1 is actually followed.

This is the reintroduction, correct? Yea, I have often wondered why 10:1 was the anti 3:3. It is also an incredible nuisance, at the beginning of each Senate term.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 09:57:32 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2011, 10:04:20 PM by bgwah »

...nay...
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 10:30:14 PM »

aye
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 01:16:50 AM »

Repeal Article 3, Section 3, so that the intent of Article 10, Section 1 is actually followed.

This is the reintroduction, correct? Yea, I have often wondered why 10:1 was the anti 3:3. It is also an incredible nuisance, at the beginning of each Senate term.

Yeah, exactly. I've never gone back and looked at the debate whenever 10:1 was added so I'm not entirely sure on the intention behind it, but it seems like it's saying "hey we shouldn't have to reintroduce bills" without actually repealing the relevant requirements.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »

I offer the following amendment as an addition to the current text.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 12:18:06 AM »

The amendment has passed 5-3.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 01:34:41 AM »

Offering as friendly to Article 3, Section 2.

2. There shall be ten slots available for debating legislation on the Senate floor. Of these slots, three shall be available for any purpose; two shall be available for any purpose except the debating of Amendments to the Constitution; two shall be available only for legislation that the PPT considers to be related to forum affairs or emergency legislation which can be introduced pursuant to Article 8, Section 1 of this resolution; one shall be available for any piece of legislation, regardless of its location in the queue, at the PPT's discretion; one shall be available for debating veto overrides pursuant to Article 5, Section 3; and one shall be available for legislation related to foreign policy and international affairs.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 01:41:07 AM »

What I would support is some mechanism that would give the PPT the power to determine what legislation meets the floor and win. People talk about reform but their ideas are tired. This would be something that actually leads to debates over a more concentrated legislative agenda. That being said, I doubt we would find support for such a measure at this time.

I'm curious what Bgwah thinks of this idea, considering that he once mocked and complained to me for mentioning how I used the power to strike legislation from the que because I didn't think it was worthwhile.

The power you speak of sort of already exists, but it's easily overridden. I don't think it would be wise to make the position so incredibly partisan, but I wouldn't be surprised to see you all go along with it, considering y'all were the ones to come up with it.

If it was passed I'm not sure it would really have the grand positive benefits you act like it will, though. If anything it'll just occasionally cause minor kerfuffles and at worst it makes the Senate controlled by biased PPTs who prefer their party's members or any ally's members more important than everyone elses' proposals for no reason.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2011, 01:45:19 AM »

I've said this before, but it isn't a "y'all" thing. I am thinking out loud about ways to make the game more interesting. I thought you were all about that. I guess my party registration means I can't come up with ideas, and any ideas I have become JCP policy. Roll Eyes
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 01:49:34 AM »

I love it when people come up with ideas, I just think your idea either turns the Senate into a procedurally biased circus, or it has no effect at all. In either case I don't think that change would be worth it. I just found it curious. The only partisan point I came up with really was wondering how Bgwah would consider that proposal, considering that he once bitched at me for what you're arguing should be formalized.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 02:14:35 AM »

Bgwah can like it or not. Of course I like bgwah but I don't serve him. If some people like my idea, I'm happy. If others don't, I understand. If I get an honest dialogue, it is worth it. All I ask is that these discussions don't become partisan bitchfests. When I lightheartedly reference a policy the JCP supported and the RPP opposed, I am called out. Neither party is monolithic and to treat the JCP as such insults myself and my colleagues. Trying to create a narrative where the JCP wins everything easily is immature and intellectually dishonest. My first vote was cast for a losing JCP ticket. You, Tmthforu, and Duke have all posted about how Snowguy is the next President. I support him, but I do not assume or take for granted a victory. I don't in my own race either. An unwillingness to budge will cost you support. Running on a platform of thinly veiled "reforms" essentially targeting the JCP instead of embracing policy based proposals isn't appealing. Especially when painting all of us with an "anti-reform" label can be proven untrue. Former Senator Shua earned respect from righties and lefties alike by actually participating in policy's discussions and offering opinions and ideas. That's why I can support people like ZuWo or JBrase that I often disagree with: they put their best foot forward, stand up for what they believe in, and don't try to turn everything into a partisan war.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 03:52:14 PM »

I offer the following amendment as an addition to the current text.

Does the sponsor accept this amendment as friendly?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2011, 08:27:37 PM »

Friendly
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 08:50:49 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 08:18:53 PM »

I like Napoleon's amendment on the slots. We need a foreign policy slot and second Emergency slot for sure.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2011, 01:05:31 AM »

The amendment has passed. Onto the next amendment! Senators have 24 hours to object.

2. There shall be ten slots available for debating legislation on the Senate floor. Of these slots, three shall be available for any purpose; two shall be available for any purpose except the debating of Amendments to the Constitution; two shall be available only for legislation that the PPT considers to be related to forum affairs or emergency legislation which can be introduced pursuant to Article 8, Section 1 of this resolution; one shall be available for any piece of legislation, regardless of its location in the queue, at the PPT's discretion; one shall be available for debating veto overrides pursuant to Article 5, Section 3; and one shall be available for legislation related to foreign policy and international affairs.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2011, 08:11:02 PM »

Since this is the last leftover from my Reign of terror and bgwah can't update OP to reflect text changes, here is the current text.

Quote from: Restricted
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2011, 12:16:22 AM »

The amendment has passed. Onto the next amendment! Senators have 24 hours to object.

The amendment has passed.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2011, 12:40:14 AM »

I guess this looks alright.  I'm still not sure about limiting any one senator to three bills at a time, but I guess it's fair.

I move for cloture on this bill.  It's time we take it to a vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2011, 12:45:35 AM »

We have included quite a bit in this one and adding further might be too much. We also have another OSPR amendment in the queue that shouldn't be that far away from coming up that we chould always attach five or six more changes to. Half of it has been included in this one, so it has plenty of room. But I think Napoleon should have final say over how much is overload here, since it is his amendment.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies