SENATE BILL: OSPR Amendment (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:08:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: OSPR Amendment (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: OSPR Amendment (Passed)  (Read 8101 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: September 17, 2011, 09:38:02 PM »

Nay.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 12:40:14 AM »

I guess this looks alright.  I'm still not sure about limiting any one senator to three bills at a time, but I guess it's fair.

I move for cloture on this bill.  It's time we take it to a vote.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 07:38:16 PM »

Aye

I support using cloture in such cases because oftentimes someone will just chime in with "Oh I think this bill is great!" at 23 hours and 40 minutes and reset the clock for another 24 hours and it goes on for days and days at a time.

So I call for a cloture vote, which is what cloture votes are designed for... to close debate.  They can also be used to end filibusters, etc.

But when I was PPT I got tired of having people chime in every 23 hours or so and then the bill, which is due for a vote, would languish and take up a slot.  So I'd call for a cloture vote.  Fairly simple.

But yes, I understand your concerns, and I mean no disrespect to the bill sponsor.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 09:16:01 PM »

Aye

I support using cloture in such cases because oftentimes someone will just chime in with "Oh I think this bill is great!" at 23 hours and 40 minutes and reset the clock for another 24 hours and it goes on for days and days at a time.

So I call for a cloture vote, which is what cloture votes are designed for... to close debate.  They can also be used to end filibusters, etc.

But when I was PPT I got tired of having people chime in every 23 hours or so and then the bill, which is due for a vote, would languish and take up a slot.  So I'd call for a cloture vote.  Fairly simple.

But yes, I understand your concerns, and I mean no disrespect to the bill sponsor.

A vote can take days as well. With the UC get around we enacted in July, the PPT can have a final vote open in 24 hours, regardless of who chimes in what.
And not every bill is going to have unanimous consent.. in fact, I'd say most bills will not.  UC is used for non-controversial bills, especially emergency ones.  I'd say we should avoid using UC except in those cases and use cloture to end debate in any bill that might garner opposition.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 03:40:05 AM »

Aye
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 05:07:21 AM »

Abstain.  I honestly cannot vote one way or the other on this. 

I understand wanting to be fair and allow senators to see their bills get to the floor, but if a senator proposes 3 bills and then a day or so later authors a disaster relief bill, for example, the PPT would have to overlook the time-sensitive disaster relief bill in order to fulfill the requirements of this amendment.

I think bills are on a "first come, first serve" basis for the most part for a good reason.

At the same time, I get the whole "fairness" part.  New senators often have a bunch of bills to throw in right at the beginning of their term and it's not really fair to everyone else when they clutter up the queue. (MAROKAI I'M TALKING TO YOU) Tongue

So I'll abstain.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 10:38:31 PM »

Aye
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »