What is up with this idea that libertarians are basement dwelling WOW players?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:59:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What is up with this idea that libertarians are basement dwelling WOW players?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is up with this idea that libertarians are basement dwelling WOW players?  (Read 1875 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2011, 06:28:05 AM »

I mean really.  Not sure if I can answer for others on here but right now I'm a full-time (more than 12 hours) college student, have a job, and am paying rent on my own apartment.  And I don't even play computer games for Christ sake!  Especially MMORPG sh*t like World of Warcraft.  If anything I spend most of my free time either talking philosophical bullsh*t with my fellows from the university or watching some dude get his head blown off in (insert random action movie title here).

It had to be said.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 06:31:51 AM »

I've only played WoW once and that was cuz I got a free demo from Hot Topic. I mean, I generally stay indoors because I hate being outside and being around many of the people that I live near, so I just write songs and sleep all day. I don't get that stereotype either.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 07:06:35 AM »

Because they don't understand reality.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:22:57 AM »

Some people will never get it.  I don't know why, it's not any more complicated of a political philosophy than any other yet we still get seemingly not retarded people claiming Somalia is a libertarian paradise.  You can't fight ignorance that runs that deep.

The best we can do is distance ourselves from the nutters that claim to be libertarian but are nothing of the sort and about once a month remind everybody else that libertarianism and anarchy are not the same thing.

(for the record, the wife talked me into giving WoW an honest try and I did play the game...played for a month or so....got to level 63....and it was exactly what I was expecting it was going to be, boring to me.  So I have played WoW...I know more about the game than I'd like to, but I'm not basement dwelling WOW player....though this is being posted from a basement, but it's a basement in a house I make the mortgage payment on.)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 08:32:12 AM »

Some people will never get it.  I don't know why, it's not any more complicated of a political philosophy than any other yet we still get seemingly not retarded people claiming Somalia is a libertarian paradise.  You can't fight ignorance that runs that deep.

The best we can do is distance ourselves from the nutters that claim to be libertarian but are nothing of the sort and about once a month remind everybody else that libertarianism and anarchy are not the same thing.

(for the record, the wife talked me into giving WoW an honest try and I did play the game...played for a month or so....got to level 63....and it was exactly what I was expecting it was going to be, boring to me.  So I have played WoW...I know more about the game than I'd like to, but I'm not basement dwelling WOW player....though this is being posted from a basement, but it's a basement in a house I make the mortgage payment on.)

So, are you now, or have you ever been, playing WoW in your basement? Answer the question, yes or no?

PS: why do you want to turn the US into Somalia?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 08:58:23 PM »

Not all libertarians are basement-dwelling WoW players, since many libertarians are holed up in their off-the-grid compounds.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:02:27 PM »

Because it's true. You also all have horrible neckbeards (tautology?), lack any knowledge of basic hygiene and breathe through your mouthes.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 09:25:38 PM »

There is a strong correlation.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 09:32:54 PM »

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 10:17:56 PM »

Projection, mostly.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 10:26:02 PM »

They mostly are. They will just not answer to you because they are too busy playing WOW. We only have the exception to deny. But, the exception is confirming the rule.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 11:01:31 PM »

Yeah, I forgot you guys have that bitter thing going along with the ignorance.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 11:05:44 PM »

I used to play WoW. Got to level 60. Of course, in those days, getting to level 60 was a pretty big deal, but not to the dedicated players, no sir. So I joined up in a Guild, you see, sort of an association of players, and we raided dungeons every week. Lost a lot of good hours to that, spent a lot of in-game gold on equipment repairs, bandages, and food for my pet (I was a hunter, so I got a pet, he was a white lion named Echey and he was pretty much the greatest and I miss him so much). I eventually got full Tier 1 armor, as well as the epic hunter bow/staff combo from killing Onyxia (a big-ass dragon) so that was cool. After that I quit though.

But I guess the moral of the story is that I really enjoyed Joe Republic's cartoons.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:44 PM »

It really is ridiculous.  They live on the second floor of their parents house like any normal upper middle class teenager.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 11:17:09 PM »

Growing up, we didn't have a basement, and neither did most of the kids I knew, even the ones with big fancy houses. And those who did have a basement certainly didn't let their children live in it. They used it for storing things, maybe a game room or something. But basements aren't really a big thing in Texas, for a few reasons. First, land is cheap here, so it makes more sense to build out than down I guess. Second, the soil here is very soft, which I guess makes it hard to build basements. Third, we're not very high above sea level, which makes water penetration a problem.

And yet, noted libertarians Ronald and Randy Paul grew up here, and probably lacked basements to live in. So how they turned out to be libertarians is an enigma.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 12:07:49 AM »

I never understood why people played Warcraft. It is just a bunch of fairies floating around a computer screen. Ok, so not all of them are fairies. Some are bull men and werewolves who cast spells on people. But who cares? The only game that Blizzard makes worth playing is Starcraft. Mind you, I am not a gamer, but that game is awesome except when assholes pull cheap crap I am incapable of pulling.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 12:36:12 AM »

Have a gander at the forum picture thread.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 12:59:47 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HBo7q8VWvQ
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 06:01:12 AM »

Have a gander at the forum picture thread.
It's been awhile so I thought I'd look to see what you were talking about......I couldn't stop laughing at the half formed mustaches on the first couple of pages to get any further.  Did you have anything specific in mind?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 12:39:43 PM »

I've only played WoW once and that was cuz I got a free demo from Hot Topic. I mean, I generally stay indoors because I hate being outside and being around many of the people that I live near, so I just write songs and sleep all day. I don't get that stereotype either.

That fits in pretty well with the stereotypical libertarian teenager...
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 08:01:20 PM »

Koreans are libertarians?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »

I never understood why people played Warcraft. It is just a bunch of fairies floating around a computer screen. Ok, so not all of them are fairies. Some are bull men and werewolves who cast spells on people. But who cares? The only game that Blizzard makes worth playing is Starcraft. Mind you, I am not a gamer, but that game is awesome except when assholes pull cheap crap I am incapable of pulling.

Back when I played warcraft, you couldn't even build ships, and archers shot further than the stronger spearmen!
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 03:59:25 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies