Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 06:09:05 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Unrest amongst Washington longshoremen
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Unrest amongst Washington longshoremen  (Read 1393 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -2.61

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2011, 09:47:55 am »
Ignore

Not sure if this has been getting any attention outside the state but the longshoremen in Washington have been conducting a wildcat strike that's been shutting down ports for the past two days.

It started in the Port of Longview when a labor dispute grew more intense earlier this week. About 500 longshoremen stormed the port and committed some vandalism, stopped a train and allegedly held a few security guards hostage for a little while. A judge has issued an order to stop interfering with port operations but it's being completely disregarded.

The activity in Longview was then followed by sympathy strikes in Tacoma and Seattle which shut down both those ports. Haven't heard what's been going on in Olympia, Aberdeen or Everett.

It's unclear if the local unions are supporting the stoppages or if the members have just started doing this on their own.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/09/09/1815672/ports-in-state-brace-for-more.html
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 10:02:58 am »
Ignore

The job action affected little activity at the Port of Tacoma, said spokeswoman Tara Mattina. No containerships were in port. But the shutdown could begin to get costly today because three ships are due here to be unloaded.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/09/09/1815672/ports-in-state-brace-for-more.html#ixzz1XT44NYff

You call that a port? What do they still need longshoremen for? Tongue
What's it all about, originally?

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 10:19:04 am »
Ignore

The job action affected little activity at the Port of Tacoma, said spokeswoman Tara Mattina. No containerships were in port. But the shutdown could begin to get costly today because three ships are due here to be unloaded.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/09/09/1815672/ports-in-state-brace-for-more.html#ixzz1XT44NYff

You call that a port? What do they still need longshoremen for? Tongue
What's it all about, originally?

The Port of Longview is opening a new grain terminal and rumor had it that they were going to hire non-longshoremen.
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 01:07:14 pm »
Ignore

Here's some coverage by the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/09/business/union-dispute-near-seattle-turns-violent-and-idles-ports.html?_r=1
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 01:18:12 pm »
Ignore

I like how "allegedly held a few security guards hostage for a little while" is buried in there. No big deal.

Never any doubt.
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 01:28:15 pm »
Ignore

I like how "allegedly held a few security guards hostage for a little while" is buried in there. No big deal.

They were in a building and didn't feel comfortable leaving because of the crowd outside. I wouldn't really call that a hostage situation.
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 06:43:24 pm »

The longshoremen have long had a reputation, mostly well-deserved, of being one of the most thuggish of unions.  It helps explain why even in an anti-union state such as South Carolina the ports are unionized.

People find meaning and redemption in the most unusual human connections. ó Khaled Hosseini
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 06:55:18 pm »
Ignore

They were in a building and didn't feel comfortable leaving because of the crowd outside. I wouldn't really call that a hostage situation.

It certainly is if intimidation is involved.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 09:21:15 pm »
Ignore

They were in a building and didn't feel comfortable leaving because of the crowd outside.

I'm just going to let this one sit for awhile...

Never any doubt.
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -8.52

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 09:45:37 pm »
Ignore

They were in a building and didn't feel comfortable leaving because of the crowd outside.

I wouldn't call them "hostages"... but they obviously felt threatened. 

I am sympathetic to strikers.. even angry ones.  But I think vandalism and the threat of violence is awful.  That does nothing but endanger others and sow disdain among Joe Q Public.

"Above and beyond the question of how to grow the economy there is a legitimate concern about how to grow the quality of our lives."
-Paul Wellstone

Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 11:16:29 pm »
Ignore

A union turning to vandalism and threats of violence because they didn't get their way?  shocking

patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 11:20:09 pm »
Ignore

A union turning to vandalism and threats of violence because they didn't get their way?  shocking

From a historical perspective that is rather laughable- you Pinkerton supporting swine Smiley
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 11:25:25 pm »
Ignore

Is it time to drop some bombs on 'em from a biplane yet?

bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 11:39:17 pm »
Ignore

I expect this thread to be full of union-bashing tools. Wonderful idea, Meeker.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 11:43:04 pm »
Ignore

If you can't defend your side, use insults to "win".

TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 12:00:52 am »
Ignore

Solidarity with my Northwestern comrades!

Economic score: -6.26
Social score: -7.74
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 02:17:13 am »
Ignore

It certainly is if intimidation is involved.

I didn't say what they did was ok by any means. I'm just not sure hostage is the right word.
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 04:42:25 pm »
Ignore

Translated: Don't post stories that rightfully make our side/our supporters look bad!

Never any doubt.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 05:23:59 pm »
Ignore

Translated: Don't post stories that rightfully make our side/our supporters look bad!

Nothing the union side could do would 'look bad' in the context of capitalism, KP, in which the violence of property is perpetrated upon the working class every day.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 06:05:08 pm »
Ignore

The Atlas forum is lucky to have Keystone Phil, who is totally not one of forum's biggest hacks, to act as a voice of reason.

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 06:35:02 pm »
Ignore

Can I just say that I love the deep understanding of context and perspective that goes into anti-union analysis and rhetoric? It really makes us feel in good hands, the way some of the best minds of our generation put our priorities together.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 06:51:58 am »
Ignore

Right, you can't defend the actions of your side so you attack.  We get it.  You guys don't need to keep bumping the thread to remind us.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 11:55:04 am »
Ignore

The longshoremen have long had a reputation, mostly well-deserved, of being one of the most thuggish of unions.  It helps explain why even in an anti-union state such as South Carolina the ports are unionized.

says something for 'thuggery', no?  of course the stereotype only holds because of class-baiting; the greatest crimes are carried out by those wearing suits.

in a mirror, dimly lit
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 05:05:37 pm »
Ignore

Right, you can't defend the actions of your side so you attack.  We get it.  You guys don't need to keep bumping the thread to remind us.

You're right, I can't defend it from a Kantian standpoint (which I hold). I'm not trying to. It's wrong.

You, on the other hand (maybe not you personally, but market fundamentalists as a group), flat-out deny how many lives your side has ruined.

It's certainly wrong to intimidate people. It's more wrong to plunge them into a bubbling vat of toxic decadent sludge here and pay for it by using slave labour there while selling off the country's wealth.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 05:07:29 pm by Nathan »Logged

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 06:27:38 pm »
Ignore

Tactics like this are generally counterproductive, though usually fit into a wider pattern of antagonism on both sides.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout