Unrest amongst Washington longshoremen (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:44:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Unrest amongst Washington longshoremen (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unrest amongst Washington longshoremen  (Read 3645 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« on: September 09, 2011, 09:47:55 AM »

Not sure if this has been getting any attention outside the state but the longshoremen in Washington have been conducting a wildcat strike that's been shutting down ports for the past two days.

It started in the Port of Longview when a labor dispute grew more intense earlier this week. About 500 longshoremen stormed the port and committed some vandalism, stopped a train and allegedly held a few security guards hostage for a little while. A judge has issued an order to stop interfering with port operations but it's being completely disregarded.

The activity in Longview was then followed by sympathy strikes in Tacoma and Seattle which shut down both those ports. Haven't heard what's been going on in Olympia, Aberdeen or Everett.

It's unclear if the local unions are supporting the stoppages or if the members have just started doing this on their own.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/09/09/1815672/ports-in-state-brace-for-more.html
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 10:19:04 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You call that a port? What do they still need longshoremen for? Tongue
What's it all about, originally?

The Port of Longview is opening a new grain terminal and rumor had it that they were going to hire non-longshoremen.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 01:07:14 PM »

Here's some coverage by the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/09/business/union-dispute-near-seattle-turns-violent-and-idles-ports.html?_r=1
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 01:28:15 PM »

I like how "allegedly held a few security guards hostage for a little while" is buried in there. No big deal.

They were in a building and didn't feel comfortable leaving because of the crowd outside. I wouldn't really call that a hostage situation.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 02:17:13 AM »

I like how "allegedly held a few security guards hostage for a little while" is buried in there. No big deal.

They were in a building and didn't feel comfortable leaving because of the crowd outside. I wouldn't really call that a hostage situation.

It certainly is if intimidation is involved.

They were in a building and didn't feel comfortable leaving because of the crowd outside.

I'm just going to let this one sit for awhile...

I didn't say what they did was ok by any means. I'm just not sure hostage is the right word.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies