From another board re: The South (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:16:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  From another board re: The South (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: From another board re: The South  (Read 6917 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: December 20, 2004, 10:30:15 AM »

His comments about racism in the same thread make me assume he was talking about people of both races, and is probably somewhat fed up with the fact that, in America, you have to expressly say this.

Point
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 03:32:42 AM »

I will say it again: Segregation is a lot worse in the North.  Dazzleman; a very good and intelligent poster, noted how he could go without having to go into a black neighborhood his whole life.
Might've something to do with lower overall Black populations, though...especially with MUCH lower rural Black populations - which, in turn, derive from - ah, but you know that. Smiley
By which, of course, I am not saying the North doesn't have a residential segregation problem. Quite the opposite.

As always the maps on www.fairdata2000.com are worth a look at
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 03:51:18 AM »

$2.45 a week Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 05:24:28 AM »

Well I lived in Far Rockaway. All black.  My family moved because the neighborhood was getting too rough and robberies were rampant.  I actually grew up in Long Beach, NY.  A good party, drinking community on the Ocean.  The city is very segregated though.  I lived in the "west end" which was majority Irish with  Italians and Germans.  A christian area basically.  Going east along the ocean you have the Jewish area- Orthodox, reform and hasid who all hate each other:)  On the other side- the bay side you have the hispanic and black community.  We didn't go to the "black area" to hang out and they did not come to our part of town to party.  Then again we beat up a lot more "out of towners" than any race.  Most towns are segregated around these parts is my overall message. Al, look it up on fair data you can probably tell the different neighborhoods by socioecon.  11561.

Long Beach: Blacks heavily concentrated in a small area in the North Central part of the city. Hispanics centred on the same area, but spread out more throught the rest of the city. The Black/Hispanic area has higher poverty rates than the rest of the city and much lower Median HH Income.

Nassau county has a serious segregation problem: Map
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 05:59:04 AM »

But then, America has a serious segregation problem.

I'm thinking of doing a list of the most segregated counties.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 06:30:15 AM »

But then, America has a serious segregation problem.

I'm thinking of doing a list of the most segregated counties.
The Census Bureau has conducted a study by MetroAreas.
They say Milwaukee's worst for Blacks, Phoenix is worst for Native Americans, the Bay Area is worst for Asians, and I've forgotten where was worst for Hispanics. Might've been NYC, actually.

Yes, I noticed, no Southern places. Not that that means much. Given the mathematical model they used, you'd probably get much different results if you defined the MetroAreas somewhat differently.

It also depends how you define segregated...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 07:09:23 AM »

Yep, Black area known colloquially as "brown town".  Blacks live by the rairoad tracks and always have. Spanish area has gotten large and I am told that blacks and whites have made common cause in the high school against the hispanics. Joy.  The data misses the fact that there are a large number of hasids who don't go to school in the district and  Catholics who went outside of the district like myself. I find it troubling though that where I grew up is getting gentrified.  Steamfitters, Carpenters, electricians are giving way to Wall Street types enamored with the beach.  I used to live on the next peninsula over Far Rockaway 11691.  Beach 19th street:)  Great maps Al.

Local stuff is always interesting... gentrification in some parts of D.C (for example) has actually made segregation worse, BTW
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 08:34:46 AM »

or Memphis, or CHicago, or...it's this very attitude that creates residential segregation.

It's happend in some parts of the U.K as well (esp. West Midlands)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies