SENATE BILL: GTO Expansion Act of 2011 (On the President's desk)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:44:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: GTO Expansion Act of 2011 (On the President's desk)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: GTO Expansion Act of 2011 (On the President's desk)  (Read 2350 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 07:46:10 PM »

Anyone at all?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 07:51:36 PM »

Not who asked for, but I think a veto would be proper. Not only is the language of this bill fatally flawed, the timing is rather inappropriate. You and Hashemite understand why.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 07:53:10 PM »

I think it would be fair for me to say that what remains of the Cabinet at this point doesn't feel like we're going to be listened to/respected regardless of what we say or do these days.

As I said before, they have shown a desire to improve, they have proven that they can take positive steps. Although we often use real-life knowledge as a basis for what we do in Atlasia, this game is a different reality from the actual present. As such, I believe game-reasons are as legitimate as any other.

To try and argue this purely on a realistic level would be missing the point. The very existence of the GTO is a silly fictional change that exists purely for Atlasia's purposes. A game reason is as legitimate as anything else, in my view. The GTO is given some sort of importance in the game, we have a storyline that actually matters, we have something for the Senate to do, in turn, both Ben and I have something more to continue reporting on.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 07:57:48 PM »

Let me get this straight. You're saying that because this is a game, and our positions in this game is to make policy, that for the sake of a game where our goal is to make policy, we should adopt a policy that is a bad policy, because it will somehow help the game?

If that is the case then why not stop making policy altogether so you and Ben can create fun little sideshow stories?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 08:01:11 PM »

Let me get this straight. You're saying that because this is a game, and our positions in this game is to make policy, that for the sake of a game where our goal is to make policy, we should adopt a policy that is a bad policy, because it will somehow help the game?

If that is the case then why not stop making policy altogether so you and Ben can create fun little sideshow stories?

I am saying because this is a game, and because Ben and I (and the SoIA, should we ever have one ever again) have the ability to shape the reality within this game, our reality takes precedent over reality reality.

The very existence of the GTO itself is a silly fictional organization that would draw a ton of diplomatic fire in the real-world anyway.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 08:06:19 PM »

Then abolish the stupid thing!

Atlasia isn't an interactive timeline, it is an elections and government simulation. What you are asking is ridiculous. I, as a Senator, take the stance that these nations should not be allowed into the GTO, because I believe that to be superior policy. People on the opposite side should support it because they believe it to be surperior policy. No one on any side of the debate should be taking "well, Marokai and Ben could have fun with this" in to consideration.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2011, 08:11:46 PM »

I certainly have no problem abolishing the GTO or withdrawing from it. I wanted to do the same thing two years ago.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 08:54:47 PM »

Not only is the language of this bill fatally flawed, the timing is rather inappropriate. You and Hashemite understand why.

Oh really, Napoleon?  And why is the timing inappropriate?  I find a veto inappropriate, considering Polnut returns in two days.

Now, on to the actual legislation.  Somaliland should be admitted into the GTO because that is the only way to give it international stature.  Leaving it out of the GTO hurts Somaliland and it hurts us, because we are seen as being uncaring towards a young nation.  Likewise with South Sudan, which is a nation brand new and in need of help.  Keeping GTO pressure will make S. Sudan liberalize; burning it like this will not.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2011, 09:23:39 PM »

I should stress that I am watching this debate and am prepared to return to office earlier than planned, should it be necessary.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 10:12:38 PM »

Given the circumstances here, I think it's only appropriate that I refrain from taking action on this bill.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 05:14:46 PM »

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix