SENATE BILL: Anti-Conscription Amendment (sent to regions) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:18:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Anti-Conscription Amendment (sent to regions) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Anti-Conscription Amendment (sent to regions)  (Read 4786 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: September 15, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »
« edited: September 16, 2011, 03:32:52 AM by Snowguy716 »

I think this is the moral thing to do.  But I am still concerned about what we do if our volunteer military is not large enough to defend ourselves in case of an attack on our soil.  I'd like to see an exception for regions to conscript soldiers in such a case so long as they allow exemptions for conscientious objectors
and deferments for schooling or being a single parent/widow/widower with children.

So I offer the following amendment:

The Anti-Conscription Amendment
Article VI, Section VIII of The Atlasian Constitution is amended to read:
The Republic of Atlasia shall not conscript or enforce conscription of any citizen.  The right to conscript citizens at least eighteen years of age shall be reserved to the various regions in times of direct attack on Atlasian soil by legitimate foreign governments so long as they allow exemptions for conscientious objectors, the infirm or otherwise disabled, those already enrolled in a higher education institution at the time conscription begins, or heads of single parent households.

Note:  I realize it's not very "constitutiony"... but who says our constitution has to be super concise and written only in 1780s legalese?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:26:07 AM »

What is the relevance of "legitimate foreign governments" and the higher education exception?

No conscription for a terrorist attack, basically.  Only in the case where, say, Mexico invades us.. or Iran or whoever... but Al Qaeda?  No.

Higher education:  It only applies to those already enrolled so they can finish their studies.  When they graduate, they'd be eligible to be drafted.  Even if they are planning to go to grad school or something.  It's just so they don't get pulled out of school in the middle of it.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:03:29 PM »

I support that amendment.  Hopefully the sponsor does as well!

I'd also like to offer the following amendment once NCY's has passed/been accepted.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I believe the language regarding those already enrolled in a degree program at a higher education institution would preclude graduating with a 4 year degree and enrolling in graduate school, thus avoiding conscription. 
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 09:11:18 PM »

This point has still not been addressed.
I went to high school with a few kids that turned 18 their senior year.  So they could be pulled out, but a college freshman can not?  And why would a 20 year old college junior be more protected that a 20 year old in an apprenticeship or one that is married, has a child, and is in a job.
I'm not too keen either on giving those in higher ed greater rights than others in the Constitution.
This was addressed in my amendment.  Anybody enrolled in secondary education cannot be drafted under the current text.
Personally, I'd rather see the bill amended only to deal with the federal government.  Let the regions conscript as they wish.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 01:40:14 AM »

Aye.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies