How Could Bradley have won?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:26:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How Could Bradley have won?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How Could Bradley have won?  (Read 12424 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2004, 11:26:52 AM »

What would Senator Bill Bradley (D-NJ) have to do to win the Democratic Nomination in 2000? He was competitive with Gore early on, but after New Hampshire he didn't do much.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 11:31:02 AM »

He didn't really appeal to the liberals in the party.  Had Bradley gotten the 18-29 year olds and liberals to vote for him, he could have won.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 08:00:12 PM »

I never understood how a Bill Bradley administration would differ from an Al Gore administration.  I'm not sure if there was any way Bradley could have won given that Al Gore was the vice president and Clinton's natural successor.

The Democratic primary was boring that year, and I only voted in it because my mother was running to be a delegate for Al Gore.  (She didn't make it, though.)

If my mother hadn't been running to be a delegate for Al Gore, I would have voted in the Republican primary (Illinois) for John McCain.  I didn't like Bush back then, either, and I couldn't believe that Republican leaders were tripping over each other to support him over better qualified candidates.  In spite of my political leanings, I found it hard to object to McCain, and I would be his #1 fan if I were a conservative.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 10:29:24 PM »

What would Senator Bill Bradley (D-NJ) have to do to win the Democratic Nomination in 2000? He was competitive with Gore early on, but after New Hampshire he didn't do much.

...Gotten a personality transplant.  The guy was out charmed by Al Gore.  That is pretty hard to do.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 01:15:42 AM »

...by pulling a Bush.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 03:12:17 AM »

Bradley was hoping to be a "reformist" and "maverick" type of candidate.  McCain was that type of candidate in that election.  In NH, independents cas vote in primaries and in 2000, the went for McCain.  Bradley would had to change the way he was presenting himself to win.
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 06:36:11 PM »

That's like asking how Forbes could have beat Bush in 2000.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 08:11:05 PM »

He only lost by a few in New Hampshire
Reignman

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 12:52:12 PM »

He only lost by a few in New Hampshire

Yeah, but that was just one state.  If he had won New Hampshire, I still doubt very much that he could have won.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 07:08:24 PM »

Funny, I was always told by Poli Sci types that Bradley probably would have won if he didn't have his heart condition.  They had to rush him from a campaign speech and shock him back to life in 2000.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 04:13:57 AM »

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 04:37:28 PM »

He may have won if Gore dropped dead.
afcassidy
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 08:39:00 PM »

Bradley came pretty close, really... if he had managed to upset Gore in New Hampshire, there was more than a month until the next big round of primaries.

During that time, McCain was running around sucking up all the oxygen... but if Bradley had actually beaten Gore, then Gore would have been hit with a month of terrible press about how his campaign was collapsing, etc.

It was possible... Gore only took NH by about 4%.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2005, 05:41:00 AM »

Well had Dick Gephardt and John Kerry both run for the nomination, as they both intended to, the field would have become more crowded and as a result it would have been less likely that the Democratic establishment would have formed up lock stock behind Gore, allowing a credible candidate such as Bradley to have made more of an impact and also forced Gore into a tougher race. 
Reignman

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 10:28:22 PM »

Could not have happened period.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 10:42:39 PM »

It's funny. Bradley could have won the 2000 election any day...but he didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever winning the Democratic nomination. Bill Bradley was just an unintresting character that didn't inspire well against Gore who had experience in his corner.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 11:41:33 PM »

About the only way Bradley could have won would have been for there to be a major backlash against Clinton within the Democrats, and then for Bush to make some major blunder in the campaign. Bradley would have done worse than Gore did in the general if nothing else had changed, and he didn't really have any chance of winning the nomination with Clinton being so popular.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 02:01:19 AM »

About the only way Bradley could have won would have been for there to be a major backlash against Clinton within the Democrats, and then for Bush to make some major blunder in the campaign. Bradley would have done worse than Gore did in the general if nothing else had changed, and he didn't really have any chance of winning the nomination with Clinton being so popular.

One of the few things bradley was good at was "attack debating". When he debated people of an opposing party, he was vicious and pretty good. If you thought Gore man handled the 2000 debates, you would have been tickled pink by Bradley.

Unfortunatly, Bradley didn't even try to attack Gore in the primaries. He tried to get people to vote for him rather than against Gore. Democrats just don't think that way. Almost all of them vote against something/someone rather than for something/someone.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006, 09:19:42 AM »

One of the few things bradley was good at was "attack debating". When he debated people of an opposing party, he was vicious and pretty good. If you thought Gore man handled the 2000 debates, you would have been tickled pink by Bradley.

Unfortunatly, Bradley didn't even try to attack Gore in the primaries. He tried to get people to vote for him rather than against Gore. Democrats just don't think that way. Almost all of them vote against something/someone rather than for something/someone.

True, Bradley was generally a good debater.

I don't really agree with your second paragraph. Who were people who voted for Gore in the primaries voting against? They were quite clearly voting in favor of a third Clinton term, with Gore being the logical beneficiary of that sentiment. Likewise, in the general election, Democrats were voting far more for Gore and Clinton than they were against Bush.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 09:49:32 AM »

That paragraph was directed more toward's Bradley's point of view. Who was going to vote for Bradley over the incumbent-two term VP of a popular administration. No one in their right mind. If your running an uphill campaign like Bradley was, than trying to garner pro-votes is pointless. He should have gave people a reason to not vote for Gore. He still would have lost...but it would have been more intresting.

Why didn't Bradley run again? I think he could have won the nomination in 04'.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2006, 08:52:02 PM »

That paragraph was directed more toward's Bradley's point of view. Who was going to vote for Bradley over the incumbent-two term VP of a popular administration. No one in their right mind. If your running an uphill campaign like Bradley was, than trying to garner pro-votes is pointless. He should have gave people a reason to not vote for Gore. He still would have lost...but it would have been more intresting.

Why didn't Bradley run again? I think he could have won the nomination in 04'.

I agree that Bradley's campaign itself was primarily against Gore and thus by extension Clinton, not in favor of himself.

And yeah, it didn't really make sense for him to choose 2000 as his year to run, as opposed to a year when he could have actually won the nomination. He would have been a decent nominee in 2004, probably better than Kerry at least, though the fact that he would have been out of the Senate for 8 years by then would hurt. He should have run for reelection to the Senate in 1996; he would have won and would have been far better than Bob Torricelli.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 04:10:01 PM »

Witchcraft.
Reignman

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 05:53:33 PM »

HAHAHAHAHA.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2007, 05:39:22 PM »

By getting the VP nod in 92.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2007, 12:35:14 AM »

How about having the Republicans not try to impeach Clinton?  A good deal of Gore's in-party support came from Dems who reacted to the impeachment by doing their best to "re-elect" Clinton in a sense by electing his VP.  Without an impeachment trial, Gore would not have been as strong intra-party as he was in 2000.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies