What if Abbas succeeds and UN recognizes Palestine within pre1967 borders?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:54:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What if Abbas succeeds and UN recognizes Palestine within pre1967 borders?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: What if Abbas succeeds and UN recognizes Palestine within pre1967 borders?  (Read 11732 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2011, 04:23:56 PM »

Actually, that land belongs to Israel and therefore they can settle it if they want. In fact they have right to all of Lebanan ,all of Jordan, Egypt east of the Nile, the northern 1/2 of Saudi Arabia, all of Syria, and part of Iraq. The world needs to preassure Jordan to let the Palestinians in not Israel to give more land for a false peace.

It belongs to the Jews because of what G-d promised Abraham to his line through Issac.

Sadly, God's promises to Abraham through Isaac don't hold much water in international law, especially considering the 1,570,000,000-odd people who believe that God promised it to Abraham through Ishmael instead.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2011, 04:26:32 PM »

In all seriousness, it looks like Abbas has studied The Art of War and is slowly implementing each step, and that Netanyahu hasn't and is playing right into the plan.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 06:17:08 PM »

Actually, that land belongs to Israel and therefore they can settle it if they want. In fact they have right to all of Lebanan ,all of Jordan, Egypt east of the Nile, the northern 1/2 of Saudi Arabia, all of Syria, and part of Iraq. The world needs to preassure Jordan to let the Palestinians in not Israel to give more land for a false peace.

It belongs to the Jews because of what G-d promised Abraham to his line through Issac.

Sadly, God's promises to Abraham through Isaac don't hold much water in international law, especially considering the 1,570,000,000-odd people who believe that God promised it to Abraham through Ishmael instead.

Because international law has a personal bias in favor of Ishmael and has so from almost the start of this family argument.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2011, 06:26:41 PM »

Because international law has a personal bias in favor of Ishmael and has so from almost the start of this family argument.

Well that's absurd.  And wrong.  But really absurd.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2011, 06:36:23 PM »

No offense man.  I consider you a pretty nice guy and all but let me just ask:

What the fucking fuck fuck?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2011, 07:00:53 PM »

...Could we leave the great real estate agent in the sky out of the argument, please?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2011, 08:37:43 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2011, 08:39:36 PM by As Afterwards The Words Still Ring »

Wow, I'm surprised Palestine is more popular in the U.S. than it is in Latin America, India, or Russia.

As for India, Israel's cause is actually very popular with Hindu nationalists. When the BJP was in power from 1998-2004, Israeli and Indian relations got better by leaps and bounds.

Yeah I remember some Hindu nationalist site that had an odd tribute to "Rabbi" Kahane on it. But it's not that surprising if you think about it, Hindu nationalists hate Muslims and Christians, so does Israel.

Israel should just annex the lands and kick out all who aren't Jews.

Let it be known that jmfcst supports oppression of Christians and anti-Christian violence.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2011, 08:52:21 PM »

Let it be known that jmfcst supports oppression of Christians and anti-Christian violence.

Fun fact: There are actually around half a million (native) Christians in the area in question, practically all of whom are Arab-speaking and considered Palestinians. A well-known example of a Palestinian Christian is Edward Said. While obviously they're not looked upon very fondly by conservative Muslim Palestinians, Israel as it happens doesn't discriminate between Palestinians based on whether they're Muslim or Christian. So just bear in mind that everything that happens to 'Palestinians' treated as a group is happening to about as many Christians as there are people in, for example, Kansas City or Tucson.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2011, 11:28:35 PM »

Roll Eyes  dude, don't you have a whore to go bang?

if a Christian stole the car of a Jew, I would still want the car returned to the Jew, regardless if a Christian stole it.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2011, 11:52:50 PM »

Because Israel is fixing to gain a lot more land when it's all said and done.  Here's the kicker, the United States will have no hand in this.

But here's the kicker if that happens: Israel will de facto cease to exist if that happens.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2011, 12:23:21 AM »

if a Christian stole the car of a Jew, I would still want the car returned to the Jew, regardless if a Christian stole it.

...how much land, exactly, do you think Israel would be justified in seizing, beyond the (considerably larger than what the turn-of-the-century-and-after Zionists were actually even asking for) territories that it already has?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2011, 01:49:24 AM »

since when is it illegal to gain land by war?  isn't that how most land was gained in the past?

The gaining of land by conquest has been illegal in international law for many decades now.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2011, 02:04:30 AM »

There's so much stupidity in this thread.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2011, 02:11:31 AM »

Alright fine... this will happen...

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2011, 04:01:39 AM »
« Edited: September 20, 2011, 04:05:20 AM by sbane »

Wow, I'm surprised Palestine is more popular in the U.S. than it is in Latin America, India, or Russia.

As for India, Israel's cause is actually very popular with Hindu nationalists. When the BJP was in power from 1998-2004, Israeli and Indian relations got better by leaps and bounds.

Yeah I remember some Hindu nationalist site that had an odd tribute to "Rabbi" Kahane on it. But it's not that surprising if you think about it, Hindu nationalists hate Muslims and Christians, so does Israel.

It's still a little odd, but yes both groups hate Muslims so it makes sense. Christians...I am not sure Israel is that anti-Christian, and as for Hindu nationalists their main problem is with conversions, which is probably the reason why they are fine with Jews and don't have a problem with them living in India since they don't try to convert anyone. Any attacks on Christians are almost always in tribal areas and perpetrated by the members of said tribes who join the Hindu nationalist movement to defend their culture. Also sometimes Dalits are attacked by local landlords when they convert under the cover of Hindu nationalism. I don't think there has ever been attacks on Christians in the cities where there is a decent population of Anglo-Indians, who have been Christians for a while now. As well as no attacks in Kerala or in Goa, where there are large Christian communities but have been living there for a very long time, in the case of Kerala almost 2,000 years. IIRC one of the two parliamentary seats in Goa was held by the BJP not so long ago. And they ran the state government for 5 years. Muslims are hated indiscriminately though......
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2011, 04:03:32 AM »

Of course that sort of thing is far less common in the south anyway.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2011, 04:24:47 AM »

I guess Orissa is a northern state too. I would say 80-90% of attacks on Christians happen in that state and the tribal areas adjoining the state.

As for Muslims, yes most attacks happen in the north. West India doesn't like to get left behind though, as we know all too well. Bengal is pretty peaceful, considering how large the Muslim population is there. Assam on the other hand.....
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2011, 04:28:38 AM »

I guess Orissa is a northern state too. I would say 80-90% of attacks on Christians happen in that state and the tribal areas adjoining the state.

As for Muslims, yes most attacks happen in the north. West India doesn't like to get left behind though, as we know all too well. Bengal is pretty peaceful, considering how large the Muslim population is there. Assam on the other hand.....

Yeah, religious strife has for the most part not been an issue in Bengali history, especially when compared with other parts of India. The partition of Bengal was the greatest crime of decolonization. In Assam the Hindus are Assamese and the Muslims Bengali, so that there's an ethnic dimension to what looks like religious unrest.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2011, 04:49:04 AM »

Yeah, religious strife has for the most part not been an issue in Bengali history, especially when compared with other parts of India. The partition of Bengal was the greatest crime of decolonization. In Assam the Hindus are Assamese and the Muslims Bengali, so that there's an ethnic dimension to what looks like religious unrest.

Certainly ethnicity plays a role there. In Assam basically if you are a Bengali Muslim you vote INC or maybe AIFB if you live out in Dhubri district, which is majority Muslim. Assamese vote AGP, with Assamese Muslims being the swing vote. Bengali Hindus vote either INC or BJP. That's why BJP only wins in Guwahati, and their vote totals are consistently high there. They will never vote for the AGP, and why a AGP-BJP coalition will always be weak.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2011, 08:05:52 AM »

...how much land, exactly, do you think Israel would be justified in seizing...

they wont have to go looking for a fight, the fight has been coming to them (e.g. 1948, 1967, etc, etc)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2011, 08:18:52 AM »

This issue in general does seem to do that to people. You then add dearest Jmf to the mix. And there we are.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2011, 08:27:58 AM »

This issue in general does seem to do that to people. You then add dearest Jmf to the mix. And there we are.

but, in the end, jmfcst is going to be right because jmfcst is reading from the Word of God - the Bible.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2011, 08:30:54 AM »

but, in the end, jmfcst is going to be right because jmfcst is reading from the Word of God - the Bible.

Read while watching bad films from the 1980s, no doubt.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2011, 08:36:39 AM »

Read while watching bad films from the 1980s, no doubt.

I would think most of my quotes come from movies of the 70's, no?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2011, 08:38:37 AM »

since when is it illegal to gain land by war?  isn't that how most land was gained in the past?

The gaining of land by conquest has been illegal in international law for many decades now.
Even if not, unequal rights status for the population of the conquered territory for an extended period always has been.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies