Is opebo a libertarian?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:49:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is opebo a libertarian?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is opebo a libertarian?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Is opebo a libertarian?  (Read 3352 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2004, 01:46:31 PM »

We've had debates on this before, even before he switched.

I say yes, he just went from one being tolerant of social conservatives to being tolerant of economic liberals.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 01:53:35 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2004, 02:01:36 PM by John Dibble »

Yes, barely. A hateful, bitter one, but yeah he's a libertarian for the most part. Seems he's been somewhat leaning left economically recently, though, so that status may change.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 01:55:24 PM »

Actually I think his position is that leftist economics are better for society as a whole, but not the investor class which he considers himself a part of. So he supports economic policies he believes benefits himself more.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 01:56:41 PM »

No. Not at all. For once he believes in the Marxist view of the economy. For other, he advocates agression againstpeople who disagree with him.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 03:23:51 PM »

I think he is. I think he used to be on the facist-libertarain side though. Now he's on the Ebeneezer Scrooge-libertarian side.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 06:04:17 PM »

I consider myself a libertarian - I just broke the tie in my own poll.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 09:34:04 PM »

I think he is. I think he used to be on the facist-libertarain side though. Now he's on the Ebeneezer Scrooge-libertarian side.

Mr. President it is spelled Fascist.  I've seen you spell it that way quite a few times;) 

As for Mr. Opebo, he does not fall very well into any categories at the moment.  I well reserve judgement for a while, several months ago he praised Santorum and Ashcroft and he now wants them to be fed to the lions...we shall see.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 10:46:33 PM »

"So I would say a good balance between the antagonistic systems of capitalism and democracy would be --- $15 an hour.  One really can't live on less anyway, and for the unemployment it caused (if any), just provide a generous welfare state."--opebo

is this a libertarian view?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 10:47:12 PM »

This issue is dividing the forum!

Yes: 50%
No: 50%
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 12:28:32 PM »

"So I would say a good balance between the antagonistic systems of capitalism and democracy would be --- $15 an hour.  One really can't live on less anyway, and for the unemployment it caused (if any), just provide a generous welfare state."--opebo

No, but its a reasonable attempt to reconcile capitalism and democracy.  You'll never get libertarianism out of democracy.  Since we appear to be stuck with democracy, I'm more willing to compromise on economic issues like a 'living wage' than on the religious party's goal of eliminating personal freedoms.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 12:34:22 PM »

No. Not at all. For once he believes in the Marxist view of the economy.
So do all economic Conservatives.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 12:49:21 PM »

No. Not at all. For once he believes in the Marxist view of the economy.
So do all economic Conservatives.
How so?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 12:53:40 PM »

Marxism and "Neoliberalism", and, to a lesser extent Keynesianism all share the fallacious belief that it is possible to attain and maintain an economic equilibrium in which all demand is met, all supply is used and everything has been fairly priced (the definition of a fair price being the price it would fetch in such a situation).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004, 01:20:01 PM »

Opebo isn't a libertarian. He is an Opeboist, its a cross between a Conservative, Liberal, Libertarian, and Populist...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 01:26:27 PM »

Opebo isn't a libertarian. He is an Opeboist, its a cross between a Conservative, Liberal, Libertarian, and Populist...
...not to forget Libertine... Smiley
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 02:03:32 PM »

No, but its a reasonable attempt to reconcile capitalism and democracy.  You'll never get libertarianism out of democracy.  Since we appear to be stuck with democracy, I'm more willing to compromise on economic issues like a 'living wage' than on the religious party's goal of eliminating personal freedoms.

You should read Hans-Hermann Hoppe's Democracy: The God That Failed
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 02:32:36 PM »

You'll never get libertarianism out of democracy.

Sixty-eight percent (68%) of American voters think raising taxes is bad for the economy. Forty-eight percent (48%) of all employees belong to the Investor Class. Sixty-seven percent (67%) of voters support personal retirement accounts if current retirees are fully protected.

What the GOP is trying to build is an ownership society.

The growth of entrepreneurial employment and stock ownership are both good for the GOP.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2004, 02:46:24 PM »

Sixty-eight percent (68%) of American voters think raising taxes is bad for the economy. Forty-eight percent (48%) of all employees belong to the Investor Class. Sixty-seven percent (67%) of voters support personal retirement accounts if current retirees are fully protected.

The growth of entrepreneurial employment and stock ownership are both good for the GOP.

The ownership society is ego-stroking garbage, trying to convince working class people they're in the same class as their betters.  And all this is completely irrelevant to the aspect of the GOP I care about - the fact that it is controlled by the religious, who want to control my personal life.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2004, 02:53:09 PM »

What are you talking about? Prostitution and drugs should be legal, but they've been outlawed for YEARS, and both parties support it.

What class you're in is not important. What's relevant is that an investor wants what businesses want: a common interest in laissez-faire economics.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2004, 03:27:35 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2004, 04:30:49 PM by David S »

I think Opebo falls into the left wing Liberal category.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2004, 04:09:14 PM »

we're being outvoted!!!!!!!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2004, 04:15:08 PM »

Who're 'we'?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2004, 05:05:47 PM »

The ownership society is ego-stroking garbage, trying to convince working class people they're in the same class as their betters.  And all this is completely irrelevant to the aspect of the GOP I care about - the fact that it is controlled by the religious, who want to control my personal life.

this coming from a guy who once said rick santorum would be a good successor to president bush and that john ashcroft was his favorite all time senator.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2004, 02:36:33 PM »

this coming from a guy who once said rick santorum would be a good successor to president bush and that john ashcroft was his favorite all time senator.

Yes, Walter Mitty, you have again made your point that I have changed my mind - not exactly news to anyone on this board. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2004, 05:57:22 AM »

Yes, Walter Mitty, you have again made your point that I have changed my mind - not exactly news to anyone on this board. 
Huh? What? You've changed your mind? When? Where? Into what? Why did I not receive a News Alert?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies