America's New Dawn: The Death of George Walker Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:45:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America's New Dawn: The Death of George Walker Bush
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should I continue?
Yes

No opinion

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: America's New Dawn: The Death of George Walker Bush  (Read 10695 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 07:42:55 PM »

Why would Rumsfeld leave? I recall remembering that being one of the biggest disagreements Dubya and Cheney had, so I think Rummy could've stayed on at least a little longer.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2011, 07:50:39 PM »

Why would Rumsfeld leave? I recall remembering that being one of the biggest disagreements Dubya and Cheney had, so I think Rummy could've stayed on at least a little longer.
I read in Dubya's book that Rummy submitted his resignation shortly after the 2004 election because he was so embarrassed by Abu Ghraib, but that Dubya rejected it and convinced him to stay on longer. Rummy told Dubya to keep his resignation on hand if he felt that it was time for him to go. During the final stages of the "White House shakeup" of 2004-2006, Dubya finally gave in and let Rummy resign. I don't recall him explaining Cheney's opinions on the situation.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. I read the book a few months after it came out, which was little more than a year ago.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 07:53:27 PM »

Remember the Russian perspective about a missile shield. Our "defense" is also a way of keeping their missiles out limiting their ability to respond to NATO/US aggression, or limiting their own aggression. It puts an absurd amount of power into our hands, throwing off the regional balance.
Also keep in mind that, as of yet, Cheney's efforts have amounted to nil. I'm not sure if, as the TL progresses, he'll get his wish or not. But I'll keep your advice in mind Wink.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2011, 05:01:37 AM »

I lol'd with the title.
BOSSFAN
Rookie
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2011, 01:57:46 PM »

Well, at least Republicans won't be running in 2008.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »

Well, at least Republicans won't be running in 2008.
Who said so? Wink
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »

I'm currently working on Hurricane Katrina. Should I cover the entire thing in one big post, or should I cover it in a series of small updates that are kind of like news flashes? I lean toward the latter, but I'd like to know what ya'll think before I go on.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2011, 07:55:31 PM »

Make Katrina a non-issue.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2011, 07:56:59 PM »

It won't be as big an issue as it was IRL, but it will definitely have a negative impact on Cheney's term.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 10:31:15 AM »

Any other thoughts?
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 08:21:27 AM »

Crap. I just typed a full update but my session timed out before I could finish. But with God's will, I will get it done today!
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 08:35:56 AM »

August 23, 2005: Tropical Depression Twelve Forms Over Southeastern Bahamas6pm (EST) - Just over an hour ago, Tropical Depression Twelve formed over the southeastern Bahamas, north of Puerto Rico. Mostly composed of leftovers from the previously dissipated Tropical Depression Ten, the depression is expected to move in a northwestern direction toward Florida. As it continues on its path, it is expected to turn into a tropical storm or low-category hurricane. Landfall is expected there within the next 96 hours. Stay here for updates as they come.

August 23, 2005: Hurricane "Katrina" Makes Landfall in Florida7:23pm - Just under an hour ago, Hurricane Katrina made landfall on the Miami-Dade/Broward county line, between Hollandale Beach and Aventura as a Category 1 storm. We have differing reports as to the death total, but we do know that somewhere between five and nine people have definitely perished. There are also reports of downed trees, damaged houses, moderate flooding, and even tornadoes all around the Kendall/Sunset area. Currently, the storm is moving in a southwestern direction through Coral Gables and southwestern Miami, and is expected to leave the state via the--thankfully uninhabited--Everglades National Park.

After leaving Florida, the hurricane will most likely mellow out and be demoted into a tropical storm. As it nears the Gulf of Mexico, it will once again escalate into a Category 1, 2, or 3 storm. A second landfall is expected in the New Orleans area in the next 96 hours. Stand by, and we will deliver updates as they come.

Finally Tongue Please review Smiley
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2011, 01:54:56 PM »

August 26, 2005: Blanco Declares State of Emergency8:35pm (EST) - In the face of Hurricane Katrina's impending western landfall, Louisiana governor Kathleen Blanco has officially declared a state of emergency. Louisiana's emergency and response recovery program is now under the partial control of the director of the state office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness. President Cheney has also directed that FEMA, the Army National Guard, and the Air National Guard be sent to the state to coordinate early emergency support efforts. Overall, there are more than a thousand FEMA personnel and federal troops in the state of Louisiana.

August 27, 2005: Emergency Evacuations Begin in Preparation for Katrina's Second Landfall8pm - After learning the Hurricane Katrina had reached Category 3 intensity, officials in St. Charles Parish, St. Tammany Parish, and Plaquemines Parish [Louisiana] have ordered emergency mandatory evacuations. Jefferson Parish and St. Bernard Parish ordered optional evacuations in most areas, but ordered mandatory evacuations in low-lying areas. New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin has also announced a state of emergency and has called for optional, state-controlled evacuations for most of the city. Low-lying areas, such as Algiers and the 9th Ward, received mandatory evacuations. The city's Superdome is to be used as the evacuation zone, with the city supplying minimal food and water resources.

The New Orleans Superdome, the shelter site for evacuated New Orleans-area citizens.

President Cheney, utilizing the Stafford Act at the request of Governor Kathleen Blanco, has declared a federal state of emergency in the state of Louisiana. So far, the reaction from the federal government has been swift; some 3,000 new Army and Air National Guard troops have been deployed to the area, as well as more FEMA personnel, all rich with emergency food, water, medical equipment, etc., etc.

Also tonight, National Hurricane Center director Max Mayfield briefed President Cheney, Governor Blanco, Mayor Nagin, and Mississippi governor Haley Barbour concerning the status of the hurricane. Currently, it is still a Category 3. Stay right here for updates as they come.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2011, 06:27:46 PM »

August 28, 2005: Officials in Frenzy as Katrina becomes Category 5 Storm1pm (EST) - In the past thirteen hours, emergency preparations for the second landfall of Hurricane Katrina have reached a new urgency. Just before 1am this morning, Hurricane Katrina reached Category 4 intensity with 145mph winds. At 7am, it became a Category 5 with maximum sustained winds reaching 175mph, gusts of up to 215mph, and a central pressure 902 megabars.

At 10am, New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin announced in a press conference that the entire parish of Orleans would be placed under mandatory evacuation orders. Following Nagin's remarks, Louisiana governor Kathleen Blanco stated that the evacuation had been declared at the urging of President Cheney, who had called her just before the conference was called.

New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin and Louisiana governor Kathleen Blanco at today's press conference.

Shortly after Nagin's press conference, the National Weather Service released a bulletin predicting "devastating" damage.

By noon today, some 20,000 people had packed into the New Orleans Superdome, which was designated yesterday as the city's main shelter for evacuated citizens by Mayor Nagin. The Louisiana National Guard had delivered six truckloads of water and nine truckloads of MRE's, just enough to provide for the mass of people packed into the dome. As of now, some 4,900 Army National Guard troops and 960 Air National Guard troops have been deployed to the area.

Army and Air National Guard troops assembled outside of the New Orleans Superdome.

President Cheney, once again utilizing the Stafford Act at the cooperation of the area's governors, has declared states of emergency in Alabama and Mississippi, as well as a "major disaster" in Florida. Stay right here for updates as they come.
cwhite841
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2016, 12:37:21 PM »

You had me, right up to the fanciful approval ratings for Dick Cheney.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2016, 05:35:42 PM »

I started a TL with this exact same premise and POD on the Alt Hist Wiki, though mine was called "Pretzel of Doom" and your's is much better/realistic. Please go on!
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2016, 08:09:27 PM »

Interesting. A president Cheney timeline after the "Pretzel of Doom" No different than Bush's 2nd term IRL. Interesting to see if there's a GFC and his response to Hurricane Katrina. Approval ratings in the 70s after re-election
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2016, 12:09:07 PM »

This is four and a half years old. It's a necro.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2016, 09:55:24 AM »

Uhm, W was horrible, but the warmonger Cheney? I'd rather have Cruz or Trump. But well written story.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies