America's New Dawn: The Death of George Walker Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:16:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America's New Dawn: The Death of George Walker Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should I continue?
Yes

No opinion

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: America's New Dawn: The Death of George Walker Bush  (Read 10643 times)
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2011, 09:36:02 AM »

George Walker Bush (July 6, 1946 - January 13, 2002)

Today, the world was given the most shocking news development since the mass terrorist attacks against the United States on September 11, 2001: George Walker Bush, president of the United States, suffered fatal cardiac syncope after choking on a pretzel. His death took place sometime between 5:35 and 6:30pm (EST), and he was officially declared dead at 6:30. White House physician Richard Tubb announced the death to millions of shocked viewers around the world at 6:45pm.

Bush, who would have turned 56 in July of this year, was the healthiest president since Ronald Reagan, who at age 70 survived a nearly fatal assassination attempt. Bush had abstained from alcohol, drugs, and cigarettes since the 1980s, and had long maintained a vigorous exercise routine that included jogging and weightlifting. His vigorous exercise kept his heart rate below normal, which made him more susceptible to fainting. Dr. Tubb says he believes that his low heart rate was a strong contributing factor to the President's fainting and ultimate death after choking on a pretzel.

Vice President Richard B. "Dick" Cheney, who will be turning 61 on January 30, took office as president at 6:40pm, approximately five minutes after President Bush was officially declared dead and five minutes before White House physician Richard Tubb broke the announcement. He offered a few words to the shocked, apprehensive outside world:

"Today, America lost a hero. George W. Bush was a kind, caring, loving, generous man who always held his nation's best interests at heart. He has truly left a blessed memory among those who knew him, and even among those who didn't. I would like to extend my deepest condolences to the Bush family, especially his parents, wife, and two daughters. May God give them, and give us all, the strength to continue after this tragic loss. And may the nation give me the strength and approval to carry President Bush's mantle toward the future; a future that all of us would like to live in."

President Cheney's approval ratings on his first day in office hover in the 70s.

Bush was survived by his parents, former President George Herbert Walker Bush and former First Lady Barbara Pierce Bush; his wife, now-former First Lady Laura Welch Bush; his daughters, Jenna and Barbara Bush; brothers John ("Jeb"), Neil, and Marvin Bush; and sister Dorothy Bush Koch. He was preceded in death by his sister, Pauline Robin Bush.

Richard Bruce Cheney (January 30, 1941 - N/A); 44th President of the United States
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 09:40:44 AM »

President Cheney. I look forward to seeing where this goes. Smiley
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 10:08:38 AM »

This will be great Smiley
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 10:23:37 AM »

Very interesting indeed
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 11:09:51 AM »

Cool, but that seems like a mean spirited title.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 11:11:26 AM »

I didn't intend for it to seem mean spirited. I meant for it to symbolize how different--and probably better--a Cheney presidency would be as opposed to W.'s RL presidency.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 01:23:14 PM »

I didn't intend for it to seem mean spirited. I meant for it to symbolize how different--and probably better--a Cheney presidency would be as opposed to W.'s RL presidency.

I don't see the title as mean spirited. The guy dies choking on a pretzel (thats mean) but he could have killed him off in a much meaner way Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 01:27:48 PM »

I don't see the title as mean spirited. The guy dies choking on a pretzel (thats mean) but he could have killed him off in a much meaner way Tongue

Not that W dies, but the fact that the words "America's New Dawn" are coupled with the words "The Death of George Walker Bush". That's what I found a bit odd.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 01:36:21 PM »

Not that W dies, but the fact that the words "America's New Dawn" are coupled with the words "The Death of George Walker Bush". That's what I found a bit odd.
It's because the death of George W. Bush symbolizes the beginning of a new era in American history: the Cheney era. As I said earlier, the title symbolizes how different a Cheney presidency would be as opposed to what really happened during W.'s tenure. I'm sorry if it sounded mean spirited, and I did not intend for it to sound that way if it did.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 04:02:33 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2011, 02:25:49 PM by ALF »

The Presidency of Richard Bruce Cheney
Vice President: John Engler (2002-2005)
Secretary of State: Colin Powell (2002-2005)
Secretary of the Treasury: Paul O’Neill (2002); Fred Smith (2003-2005)
Secretary of Defense: Donald Rumsfeld (2002-2005)
Attorney General: John Ashcroft (2002-2005)
Secretary of the Interior: Gale Norton (2002-2005)
Secretary of Agriculture: Ann Veneman (2002-2005)
Secretary of Commerce: Donald Evans (2002-2005)
Secretary of Labor: Elaine Chao (2002-2005)
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Tommy Thompson (2002-2005)
Secretary of Education: Rod Paige (2002-2005)
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Mel Martinez (2002-2003); Alphonso Jackson (2003-2005)
Secretary of Transportation: Norman Mineta (2002-2005)
Secretary of Energy: Spencer Abraham (2002-2005)
Secretary of Veterans Affairs: Anthony Principi (2002-2005)
Secretary of Homeland Security: Paul Wolfowitz (2003-2005)
Chief of Staff: Andrew Card (2002-2005)
Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency: Christine Todd Whitman (2002-2003); Aubrey McClendon (2003-2005)
Director of the Office of Budget and Administration: Mitch Daniels (2002-2003); Jon Huntsman, Jr. (2003-2005)
Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy: John P. Walters (2002-2005)
United States Trade Representative: Robert Zoellick (2002-2005)

President Cheney, as an extra precaution due to his own health history, appointed Michigan governor John Engler as vice president. Engler was easily confirmed by the Congress. He also retained all cabinet members except Treasury Secretary Paul O’Neill, who was fired over disagreements concerning the neoconservative elements of administration policy and replaced by FedEx CEO Fred Smith. HUD Secretary Mel Martinez resigned to run for the U.S. Senate seat in Florida and was replaced by Deputy HUD Secretary Alphonso Jackson. In 2002, the Department of Homeland Security was created and Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz was appointed as its first secretary. Several less important changes were made at cabinet-level departments.

The most important initiatives during the start of President Cheney’s tenure were in the area of foreign policy. Almost immediately, he began speaking with European leaders concerning the development of a new missile defense shield that would protect the U.S. and its allies from North African or Middle Eastern attacks. He also upgraded current missile defense programs.

Starting in the spring of 2002, the Cheney administration began pushing for a U.S. incursion in Iraq, which, according to them, was harboring WMD and sponsoring terrorist groups such as Al-Qaeda. The administration continued to press for war until autumn, when the Congress passed a joint resolution in authorizing U.S. military force in Iraq. The U.S. invaded the country on March 20, 2003. Less than thirty days later, the U.S. was able to declare victory. In July, Uday and Qusay Hussein were killed, and in December, Saddam Hussein was captured.

Beginning in August, President Cheney initiated troop surges in Iraq and Afghanistan to facilitate the fight against sectarian violence there. By October, visible decreases in terrorism had occurred and President Cheney’s plan had been proven successful. President Cheney’s approval ratings, which had been stuck in the forties and fifties during the prewar push and during the months of violence immediately preceding the war, had recovered and were now in the sixties.

On the domestic policy front, President Cheney enacted a historic tax cut that would become known as the “Cheney tax cut”. He also added a new prescription drug benefit to Medicare; signed several free trade agreements; enacted a nationwide ban on partial-birth abortion; enacted broad new measures to combat forest fires; and launched a global initiative to combat HIV/AIDS.

I'll post the 2002 midterms the 2004 presidential election soon. Feel free to ask questions or make suggestions. Smiley
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 04:35:44 PM »

I hate to well...hate, but, this is no different than a Bush Presidency.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 04:36:51 PM »

Is there a major difference between the OTL Bush Presidency and this so far? I'm guessing the anti-AIDS campaign is part of it given Cheney and Dubya's differences when it came to gay rights. I wonder how the '04 election will turn out. Maybe Dean will get a shot or Edwards will pick up more steam? Continue. Smiley
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 05:25:08 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2011, 05:37:40 PM by ALF »

I hate to well...hate, but, this is no different than a Bush Presidency.
IRL, 2003-2004 was a reorganization period for Iraqi insurgents. The U.S. focused on forming a new government and paid too little attention to preventing terrorist attacks. ITTL, Cheney launches a strong counterinsurgency program before the insurgency really heats up. That way, the war will be much smoother and there will be no need for additional troop surges later on (i.e., in 2007-08).

Is there a major difference between the OTL Bush Presidency and this so far? I'm guessing the anti-AIDS campaign is part of it given Cheney and Dubya's differences when it came to gay rights.
The anti-AIDS campaign is, ITTL, a two-tier project with anti-AIDS operations in both Africa and the United States, with a good chunk of the American anti-AIDS funding going to areas with relatively large gay populations.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 01:31:14 AM »

Just remember that the House and Senate both need to confirm a new VP.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 08:58:12 AM »

Just remember that the House and Senate both need to confirm a new VP.
Edit made. Thanks for drawing my attention to that.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 09:47:03 AM »

Overall, the 2002 midterms produced favorable results for Republicans. Republicans picked up two Senate seats and nine House seats, but suffered a net loss of one governorship, with Democrats gaining three governorships (in short, they were the same as IRL).

The Democratic primaries in 2004 were far less exciting than most pundits had hoped they would be. Sensing President Cheney's then-vulnerability in December of 2002, former Vice President Al Gore joined Howard Dean and John Kerry in forming an exploratory committee to run for president. Dean and Kerry both terminated their exploratory committees soon thereafter, quickly endorsing Gore. The only other candidates to enter the race were minor-leaguers such as Al Sharpton and Dennis Kucinich. Gore went on to win every primary, with Sharpton and Kucinich winning barely over 20 delegates each. He selected Florida senator Bob Graham as his running-mate.

Al Gore, the Democratic nominee in 2000, has won the nomination in 2004 as well.

There was much speculation that President Cheney would forgo reelection due to his past history of heart problems and his reported unhappiness with his job. This speculation ended in May 2003, when President Cheney announced that he would run for reelection and filed papers to do so. He, like Gore, won a largely uncontested primary. Vice President John Engler remained on the ticket as Cheney's running-mate.

President Cheney ran for reelection and was renominated despite strong speculation that he would not do so.

The general election campaign revolved around many issues, including the economy, the War on Terror, homeland security, and social issues such as gay marriage. President Cheney touted the strength of the economy, the stability of Afghanistan and Iraq, and the strong anti-terrorist measures that the Bush and Cheney administrations had undertaken since September 11. Gore called for an end to "Cheneynomics" and for a return to "the growth and investment of the Clinton years". Gore also criticized the U.S. mission in Iraq, questioning intelligence reports asserting that WMD existed in the country at the time of the 2003 invasion. Both candidates voiced strong support for gay marriage, though they differed on abortion (Cheney being pro-life, Gore being pro-choice).

Despite President Cheney's popularity, the polls remained neck and neck for most of the election. The lead often shifted between the two, especially in battleground states such as Michigan, Ohio, and Florida. On election night, President Cheney claimed a close, yet decisive, Electoral College victory over Gore. Cheney won the popular vote by little over three million votes, or just over two percent.

Pres. Richard Cheney (R-WY)/VP John Engler (R-MI); 50.5%, 313
Frmr. VP Al Gore (D-TN)/Sen. Bob Graham (D-FL); 48.4%, 225

In the Senate, Republicans picked up four seats, creating a 56-43-1 Republican majority. In the House, Republicans gained three seats and Democrats lost two, for a 229-203-1 Republican majority. (In short, they were the same as IRL, only with Pete Coors winning in Colorado.) Now that President Cheney had been reelected and the Republicans had cemented their control of the Congress, the president was free to push his own agenda.

Again, feel free to comment, ask questions, make suggestions, etc. Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 10:13:21 AM »

Can we see the primary map for the Dems? Also, given that this started in 2002, aren't you going a bit fast? I mean within a couple of updates we'll be right at present day. Given that, I personally would've gone at a slower pace.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »

Can we see the primary map for the Dems? Also, given that this started in 2002, aren't you going a bit fast? I mean within a couple of updates we'll be right at present day. Given that, I personally would've gone at a slower pace.

2004 Democratic primary map -

Gore

I actually thought I was going a bit fast, too. I think that I'll go into greater detail by posting individual results for midterm elections and primaries, and talk more about specific policies implemented during the non-election oriented parts of Cheney's term.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 10:33:24 PM »

You really made him make you a red map? lol
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 10:37:01 PM »

I skimmed through it & didn't realize until later that Gore won every state.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 02:49:54 PM »

I skimmed through it & didn't realize until later that Gore won every state.
Don't feel bad. I miss some details too because I skim through a lot of TL's and pick out important details instead of really sitting down and taking the time to read them word-by-word.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 12:48:06 PM »

Dick Cheney as president? I just threw up a little.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 03:27:34 PM »

First off, thanks to everybody for reading and commenting. I really appreciate it Smiley

Secondly, I'm still working on Cheney's rather chaotic second term and will be posting an update either sometime during the weekend or during next week.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 07:23:16 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2011, 07:58:01 PM by Don Siegelman »

The Second Term of President Richard Bruce Cheney

Vice President: John Engler (2005-2009)
Secretary of State: Robert Zoellick (2005-2009)
Secretary of the Treasury: Fred Smith (2005-2008); Timothy Geithner (2008-2009)
Secretary of Defense: Donald Rumsfeld (2005-2006); Robert Gates (2006-2009)
Attorney General: Shannen W. Coffin (2005-2007); Michael Mukasey (2007-2009)
Secretary of the Interior: Gale Norton (2005-2006); Jon Huntsman, Jr. (2006-2009)
Secretary of Agriculture: Mike Johanns (2005-2007); Ed Schafer (2008-2009)
Secretary of Commerce: Carlos Gutierrez (2005-2009)
Secretary of Labor: Elaine Chao (2005-2009)
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Mike Leavitt (2005-2009)
Secretary of Education: Margaret Spellings (2005-2009)
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Alphonso Jackson (2005-2008); Steve Preston (2008-2009)
Secretary of Transportation: Norman Mineta (2005-2006); Mary Peters (2006-2009)
Secretary of Energy: John Hofmeister (2005-2009)
Secretary of Veterans Affairs: Jim Nicholson (2005-2007); James Peake (2007-2009)
Secretary of Homeland Security: Rudy Giuliani (2005-2009)
Chief of Staff: Scooter Libby (2005); David S. Addington (2005-2009)
Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency: Stephen L. Johnson (2005-2009)
Director of the Office of Management and Budget: Jon Huntsman, Jr. (2005-2006); Rob Portman (2006-2007); Jim Nussle (2007-2009)
Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy: John P. Walters (2005-2009)
United States Trade Representative: Rob Portman (2005-2006); Susan Schwab (2006-2009)

On January 30, 2005, ten days into President Cheney’s first elected term, Iraq held its first free elections to select a national assembly that would draft a constitution. There was surprisingly little violence at the polls, and the event was considered a major success. In February, President Cheney announced that the vast majority of U.S. troops would leave Iraq in the next twenty months (or by November of 2006, in time for the midterm elections). Immediately after the announcement, his approval rating rose until it reached the early low 70s.

Beginning in February, President Cheney continued to press European countries on the creation of a missile defense field to ward of potential terrorist attacks from North Africa and the Middle East, namely member countries of the “Axis of Evil”: Libya, Iran, Syria, and, in Asia, North Korea.

In the first two months of President Cheney’s immigration, political debate was centered on immigration. Cheney proposed the “Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006”, which included increased funding for border security; new guest worker programs; increased enforcement of existing immigration laws; and some provisions of the DREAM Act. In April, the bill finally passed the Senate but failed in the House. An optimistic President Cheney remarked that, “now that we’ve pressed for immigration reform, future leaders will be more willing to debate the issue and press for reform, as we have.”

On May 10, 2005, while giving a speech at Freedom Square in Tbilisi, Georgia, President Cheney survived an assassination attempt perpetrated by Vladimir Arutyunian, who threw a live Soviet-manufactured RGD-5 hand grenade at the podium where Cheney delivered his remarks. The grenade did not explode because a red tartan handkerchief tied tightly around it suppressed the firing pin. Arutyunian killed an Interior Ministry officer during his arrest, and was given a life sentence in prison in January 2006.

Beginning in the summer of 2005, a controversy arose concerning Iran’s nuclear program, which the U.S. feared could lead to aggressive military actions on the part of Iran against the United States and her allies, primarily Israel. Throughout the years of 2005 and 2006, key members of the Cheney administration, especially State Secretary Robert Zoellick and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, pressed for UN intervention against Iran, which Secretary Rumsfeld described as, “a dangerous rogue dictatorship that, if able to develop nuclear weapons, will pose a threat to all free nations”. The UN took no action at all, and by April 2006, Iran announced that it possessed enriched uranium.

August started off on a good note for the administration. The economy was still holding on and around 96,000 troops had left Iraq, signifying a quickening end to the conflict. However, on August 28, Hurricane Katrina swept the Southeast Coast, destroying New Orleans and damaging President Cheney’s term…

As always, feel free to make a comment, complaint, or suggestion, or to ask a question Smiley.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 07:41:38 PM »

Remember the Russian perspective about a missile shield. Our "defense" is also a way of keeping their missiles out limiting their ability to respond to NATO/US aggression, or limiting their own aggression. It puts an absurd amount of power into our hands, throwing off the regional balance.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies