51st state (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:09:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  51st state (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which region will become the next US state in your opinion?
Washington D.C.
Puerto Rico
U.S. Virgin Islands
Guam
Northern Mariana Islands
American Samoa
other
there won't be any further states
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: 51st state  (Read 5126 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« on: September 19, 2011, 12:44:13 AM »

If it ever happens it will be Puerto Rico.  I think we'll see some kind of new status for PR within the next decade or two.  Whether or not it ends up being statehood is still up in the air a bit.

I don't think DC will ever be an actual state.  There may be amendments in the future allowing it more independence and/or representation though.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 10:25:26 PM »

If it ever happens it will be Puerto Rico.  I think we'll see some kind of new status for PR within the next decade or two.  Whether or not it ends up being statehood is still up in the air a bit.

I don't think DC will ever be an actual state.  There may be amendments in the future allowing it more independence and/or representation though.

It should be merged with Maryland.

That makes historic sense but I doubt there will ever be the combined political will within DC, Maryland, and Congress to actually make it happen.  Maryland will never want it back and DC has grown too accustomed to being its own entity.  

I think the most realistic "final scenario" at the federal level would be DC with a voting rep, two Senators, and 3 EVS.  Locally, DC would get out from under the thumb of Congress for most home rule issues while Congress would still maintain major control over security and aesthetics.  I don't think statehood will ever happen unless the portions of the great DC area are also included.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:26:35 PM »

I think a split would be good for California.  IMO it's far too large and unwieldy to be a single political subdivision of a larger nation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies