Poll for Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 01:51:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Poll for Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which wing of the party do you most identify with?
Moderate Republican

Establishment conservative

Social conservatives

Tea Party

Libertarians

Not a Republican

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Poll for Republicans  (Read 932 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2011, 11:51:57 AM »

Moderate Republicans are just what they sound like. Historically the strongest wing of the party, they've been weakening since the 1980's, and today are often considered enemies by the conservatives in the party. They tend to be fiscally center-right and socially moderate, though often they are somewhat more hawkish than other Republicans. They tend to be rather pragmatic, willing at times to sign on to things that might anger the base. Examples include Jon Huntsman, Rudy Giuliani, and Olympia Snowe.

Establishment conservatives, as the name suggests, tend to be somewhat more in toe with the party line, and generally form the party leadership and often the eventual nominee. Like moderate Republicans, they're becoming an endangered species with the rise of the Tea Party, but remain powerful. Examples include Mitch McConnell, Mitt Romney, and Bill Frist.

Social conservatives are also declining, but have a huge influence in the South and are a major reason why the region isn't more Democratic. Though usually fiscally conservative (but often more populist), they are strong supporters of "family values". Examples include Mike Huckabee, Robert Bentley, and John Thune.

The Tea Party may be peaking, but has radically changed American politics in the last 2 years or so. They form the angry right-wing backbone of the party, and many candidates justifiably feel the need to pander to them. Fiscally right-wing populist and socially conservative (though some libertarian variations exist), they're a force to be reckoned with within the GOP. Examples include Michele Bachmann, Louie Gohmert, and Mike Lee.

Libertarians are certainly on the rise. Fiscally conservative, anti-war, and socially liberal, they have some appeal with both parties, though tend to lean towards the Republicans due to the current economic focus. Examples include the Pauls (who are a hybrid between this and the Tea Party), Gary Johnson, and Walter B. Jones.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »

A mixture of the first two, leaning towards "Establishment", though, especially considering most of the Republicans I support in various races.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 12:02:54 PM »

Establishment Social Conservative

I am more a social conerservative than anything else, but take the Establishment side of the Tea Party vs. Establishment fight (which I view as having little to no social issue implications).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 12:14:03 PM »

Option 1. Who knew?  Tongue
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 12:23:42 PM »

Pretty sure this is the only political forum on the Internet where most conservatives aren't Ron Paul supporters.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 12:24:32 PM »

I feel I'm sort of not represented. I'd hate to pick Establishment Conservative, I also won't pick Tea Party. I'm no Libertarian when compared to actual Libertarians and I have no inclination to choose moderate. I feel there should be a strong balance of social and fiscal conservatism, so I'm not sure about social conservative.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 12:27:10 PM »

I feel I'm sort of not represented. I'd hate to pick Establishment Conservative, I also won't pick Tea Party. I'm no Libertarian when compared to actual Libertarians and I have no inclination to choose moderate. I feel there should be a strong balance of social and fiscal conservatism, so I'm not sure about social conservative.

We seem to be having trouble finding a candidate who all conservatives would support enthusiastically. Perhaps you should run for president...  Tongue
lowtech redneck
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 12:39:31 PM »

I voted 'tea party', mostly because of their emphasis on Constitutional and federalist issues.  Otherwise, I guess I'm sorta half moderate, and half libertarian.  Maybe a (much) more moderate and hawkish Ron Paul?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »

We seem to be having trouble finding a candidate who all conservatives would support enthusiastically. Perhaps you should run for president...  Tongue
There's a joke between me and a friend's Dad that I'm running in 2012, but I won't even be able to vote by then. Tongue
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 12:51:26 PM »

Libertarians are certainly on the rise. Fiscally conservative, anti-war, and socially liberal, they have some appeal with both parties,

Obviously not.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 01:38:53 PM »

Like most Republicans, I'm a healthy mix of a few of those.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 02:46:23 PM »

I'm certainly not a Republican, and voted that way in the poll, but I'll answer the question since I tend to vote Republican at the state and local level. I quite obviously prefer Moderate Republicans. Perhaps most importantly, however, I can tolerate (and sometimes even approve of) fiscal conservatism, while I detest social conservatism, despite being further left economically than socially myself.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 02:53:10 PM »

they are somewhat more hawkish than other Republicans

with the exception of this independent clause, the Moderate Republicans description fits me best
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 03:01:13 PM »

Moderate Libertarian
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 09:02:03 PM »

A mixture of a few.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 09:38:39 PM »

Option 5
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 03:58:59 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2011, 07:11:52 PM by Nihilist for Herman Cain »

Pretty sure this is the only political forum on the Internet where most conservatives aren't Ron Paul supporters.

Free Republic is mostly anti-Ron Paul people and they mostly support Tea Party candidates and despise Romney.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies