All state primaries on the same day
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:01:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  All state primaries on the same day
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: All state primaries on the same day  (Read 17088 times)
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2004, 07:01:06 PM »

Now that I live in Iowa, I look forward to having my vote for the nominee actually count next time. I previously lived in Illinois and Virginia. In 1992 (first time I voted), my candidate Tom Harkin dropped out of the race before the Illinois primary, so I switched to Tsongas. This year, Howard Dean was fading fast and had announced he was only campaigning in Wisconsin. So I voted for Kerry in the Virginia primary. (He was my second choice. I thought he was better qualified than Edwards and Clark.)

Before I become too Iowa-centric (just moved to Cedar Rapids in August), I'd like to suggest that the nominees be selected on National Primary Day. In other words, all states vote for a presidential nominee on the same day. To allay fears that the most highly populated states would monopolize the race and favor the candidates with the deepest pockets, allocate the delegates in a system similar to that of the Electoral College but with proportional voting.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 09:18:45 PM »

I agree with this. Iowa and New Hampshire are not representative of the entire USA.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 10:49:14 PM »

It's not in the parties' interest to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree...but it would make conventions a mess--unless you use some sort of transferable vote system--which would set a dangerous precedent for a general election (in which both major parties Definitely Do Not Want transferable vote).
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 09:23:47 AM »

First of all, the concept that delegates to the national political party convention should always be selected by primaries, is an idea with which I totally disagree.

Please note that the Democrat party purposefully has 'superdelegates' who are NOT selected in a primary for the express purpose of adding a little maturity to the process.

Second, a drawn out selection process for the nominee for a political party's nomination for President is a good thing, since it provides time for the voters to get a better perspective on the prospective candidates. 

Third, having the primaries spread over a period of time, diminishes the advantage of a candidate supported by the financiers of elections, and gives other candidates an opportunity to emerge based on factors such as: (1) message, (2) volunteer efforts, and (3) candidate qualities.

Fourth, there is a valid criticism that the current selection process favors northern states in the winnowing process, for which I have a solution.

To select the best candidates, national parties would be well advised to follow the following rules:

1.) Only one state shall be allowed to slect delegates selection in a given region (north, south, midwest, west) on a given date.

2.) The smaller states (grouped by category). should be given preference in the selection of a given preference in the selection of a date for the selection process.

3.) Only jurisdictions (states, DC, territories) that have four or fewer U.S. Representatives should be allowed to have their delegatel selection  in January (or later if they choose) of Presidential Election years.

4.) States with five, but less than nine Representatives, may have their delegate selection no earlier than the month of February  of Presidential Election years.

5.) States with nine, but less than eighteen Representatives may have their delegate selection no earlier than month of March of Presidential Election years.

6.) States with eighteen, but less than twenty-two Representatives in Congress may have theirl delegate selection no earlier than April of Presidential election years.

7.) States with twenty-two, but less than forty-four Representatives in Congress, may have their  delegate selection process no earlier than May of Presidential Election years.

8.) States with forty-four or more Representatives in Congress may select their delegates no earlier than June of Presidential election years.

To avoid this post becoming too long, I will list the jurisdictions by region in a seperate post (presuming there is a demand therefor).

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 09:28:13 AM »

First of all, the concept that delegates to the national political party convention should always be selected by primaries, is an idea with which I totally disagree.

Please note that the Democrat party purposefully has 'superdelegates' who are NOT selected in a primary for the express purpose of adding a little maturity to the process.

Second, a drawn out selection process for the nominee for a political party's nomination for President is a good thing, since it provides time for the voters to get a better perspective on the prospective candidates. 

Third, having the primaries spread over a period of time, diminishes the advantage of a candidate supported by the financiers of elections, and gives other candidates an opportunity to emerge based on factors such as: (1) message, (2) volunteer efforts, and (3) candidate qualities.

He has a point.
While the current system is pretty strange, a national primary, especially an early one, might well turn out worse.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 10:23:08 AM »

Iowa is nice because any potential candidate can go there and talk to all 5 people.  It is cheap.  Doing it nationally will cause only rich people to run for president.

But, I'm not one to say how the Democrats should govern themselves.  I just think that for a party that likes to claim they're for the common man, it would be better to not just allow rich people to run for president.
stry_cat

Political Matrix
E: 6.25, S: -1.38

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 02:41:51 PM »

There shouldn't be primaries in the first place.  The parties are private orgs and shouldn't be allowed to use government resources to hold an election for their leaders.  If your local Bridge Club started demanding to have a primary for their leaders we'd all laugh at them and tell them to go away.  We should do the same to the parties.

Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 03:38:49 PM »

Frontloading is good, but it has gone way too far, especially in 2004. I say a return to a 1988-ish system, but abolishing all caucuses and making every primary a direct vote primary.
zachman

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 05:49:48 PM »

I'd like to see the 1968 schedule restored.

A national primary would be a disaster because the media and television could exert even more force over the primaries.

As for what system I'd like I'd like a mix of primaries, caucii, state conventions, and run-off style elections.

I would be open to the idea of DNC mailing list recipients (the RNC can do the same) being able to elect a slate of about 500 delegates in an online balloting event in the fall/summer before the primaries.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 12:37:25 AM »

I can't believe so many of you defend the current primary system.

What about the voters disenfranchised because they don't get their primary until after several candidates have dropped out and the nomination effectively decided?

Think about this: What would happen if the general election were like the primary system?  Suppose Election Day were 3 months long, and a small group of states voted each week.  Each week, the votes would be counted and reported, and they would INFLUENCE future results. 

If the Republicans had enough control of the process, they'd make Utah, Idaho, Mississippi, Alabama, and South Carolina vote first.  The Republican candidate would have SO MUCH momentum that it would bias the news coverage and future voters.  How would you like to be a Democrat in Massachusetts who doesn't get to vote until the Republican candidate already has the 270 electoral votes?

If the Democrats had enough control of the process, they'd make DC, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Hawaii, and New York vote first.  The Democratic candidate would have SO much momentum that it would bias the news coverage and future voters.  How would you like to be a Republican in Wyoming who doesn't get to vote until the Democratic candidate already has the 270 electoral votes?

I can't believe you people don't find the primary process unfair.

OK, OK, I should quit whining now that I live in Iowa.  In 2008, I'll go to the caucuses and get to impose my choice on the rest of you in New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, and Hawaii.  If you don't like my candidate, or if your candidate drops out before you get to vote, TOUGH LUCK!!!  Come on, does that seem fair to you?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 01:05:38 PM »

Fourth, there is a valid criticism that the current selection process favors northern states in the winnowing process, for which I have a solution.

To select the best candidates, national parties would be well advised to follow the following rules:

1.) Only one state shall be allowed to slect delegates selection in a given region (north, south, midwest, west) on a given date.

2.) The smaller states (grouped by category). should be given preference in the selection of a given preference in the selection of a date for the selection process.

3.) Only jurisdictions (states, DC, territories) that have four or fewer U.S. Representatives should be allowed to have their delegatel selection  in January (or later if they choose) of Presidential Election years.

4.) States with five, but less than nine Representatives, may have their delegate selection no earlier than the month of February  of Presidential Election years.

5.) States with nine, but less than eighteen Representatives may have their delegate selection no earlier than month of March of Presidential Election years.

6.) States with eighteen, but less than twenty-two Representatives in Congress may have theirl delegate selection no earlier than April of Presidential election years.

7.) States with twenty-two, but less than forty-four Representatives in Congress, may have their  delegate selection process no earlier than May of Presidential Election years.

8.) States with forty-four or more Representatives in Congress may select their delegates no earlier than June of Presidential election years.

To avoid this post becoming too long, I will list the jurisdictions by region in a seperate post (presuming there is a demand therefor).

If you added on the caveat that not more than one state from a given region could have delegate selection on the same date (to avoid tilting the system to a candidate from a particular region) then 29 of the 51 'states' (I include DC) could have used the actual dates they used in the Democrat calender for 2004 under my system.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2004, 07:42:45 PM »

I'd like to see the 1968 schedule restored.

A national primary would be a disaster because the media and television could exert even more force over the primaries.

As for what system I'd like I'd like a mix of primaries, caucii, state conventions, and run-off style elections.

I would be open to the idea of DNC mailing list recipients (the RNC can do the same) being able to elect a slate of about 500 delegates in an online balloting event in the fall/summer before the primaries.
I don't know that I would select the 1968 schedule, per se, but I agree with a lot of the above sentiment. I disagree fundamentally with part of jhsu's assumptions about disenfranchised voters. And in fairness jhsu, represents many well intentioned people concerned about the selection of people to high office.

I think that the post-1960 presidential era has caused the electorate to forget what primaries are for. Primaries are NOT just the first phase in two-step runoff system. Yet, for offices up and down the ballot, that is exactly what they have become. If a state like LA wants to have a system like that for elections, I have no problem with that, but that is not the intent of primaries.

Primaries exist as the alternative to party slating of candidates on the ballot. I know in many countries each party determines its candidate (or list for multiseat jurisdictions) and that goes to the general public for the election. Slating is clearly a direct function of a party organization. A primary election is one method for parties to construct their slate for the general election. As such, their intent is to be a function of the parties, not the population as a whole.

As I noted, a primary is only one method by which a party can construct its slate. There are also caucuses, conventions and central committees available to organizations in the various states. Personally I find the IA caucuses a far more healthy exercise for the parties than the NH primary, but that choice is entirely up to the individual state parties.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 11:17:00 PM »

It's not a matter of fairness, there are some very important practical and political reasons why the system is the way it is.

First of all, as a more moderate Republican, I'm much more comfy with the folks in Iowa and New Hampshire choosing our nominee than the well-intentioned, but nominally misguided, folks in Alabama and Utah.   Iowa and New Hampshire are good centrist states that are representative of the middle ground in the country.  Iowa went for Gore in '00 but Bush in '04, while NH went for Bush in '00 and Kerry in '04.  Sometimes they do wierd things (i.e. Buchannan in 96), but those are usually due to the fact that you have 7 or 8 viable candidates in the race.

The best part is that they are small states.  They are the only chance that we have left for candidates for President to actually have to dirty their fingernails talking to real people and listening to real problems.  A national primary would only serve to infuse more of the problems that we have in the general election with money driving the game and tv ads replacing the stump speeches.

Iowa and New Hampshire is America's "nominating committee" and I am perfectly happy that those states have that very important role.

What about the voters disenfranchised because they don't get their primary until after several candidates have dropped out and the nomination effectively decided?

Think about this: What would happen if the general election were like the primary system?  Suppose Election Day were 3 months long, and a small group of states voted each week.  Each week, the votes would be counted and reported, and they would INFLUENCE future results. 

If the Republicans had enough control of the process, they'd make Utah, Idaho, Mississippi, Alabama, and South Carolina vote first.  The Republican candidate would have SO MUCH momentum that it would bias the news coverage and future voters.  How would you like to be a Democrat in Massachusetts who doesn't get to vote until the Republican candidate already has the 270 electoral votes?

If the Democrats had enough control of the process, they'd make DC, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Hawaii, and New York vote first.  The Democratic candidate would have SO much momentum that it would bias the news coverage and future voters.  How would you like to be a Republican in Wyoming who doesn't get to vote until the Democratic candidate already has the 270 electoral votes?

I can't believe you people don't find the primary process unfair.

OK, OK, I should quit whining now that I live in Iowa.  In 2008, I'll go to the caucuses and get to impose my choice on the rest of you in New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, and Hawaii.  If you don't like my candidate, or if your candidate drops out before you get to vote, TOUGH LUCK!!!  Come on, does that seem fair to you?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2004, 12:07:49 AM »

There shouldn't be primaries in the first place.  The parties are private orgs and shouldn't be allowed to use government resources to hold an election for their leaders.  If your local Bridge Club started demanding to have a primary for their leaders we'd all laugh at them and tell them to go away.  We should do the same to the parties.

And closed primaries are adding insult to injury. I mean, the parties are using my tax money to run their primaries, and I, as an Independent, don't even get to vote in them? Isn't that a violation of some law? Either they let me vote or they can run their primaries on their own dime.
Will F.D. People
bgrieser
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2004, 12:29:46 AM »

In cases where the nomination is NOT sewn up by the time the late primaries occur, then the voters in those states are enormously empowered.  Imagine 1976 Ford vs. Reagan, especially if Reagan had won one more early primary before North Carolina, and the influence held in the late-voting states. So I think the early/late voting thing evens out over time; I disagree that the voters in the late states are "disenfranchised".

I don't like the idea of everyone voting in the primary on the same day. We need to have a period to have buyers' remorse after the first primary day to decide if the front-runner at that time is the one we want to run in November. Let's be honest; how many of us would want to marry the first person we kissed?

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2004, 08:47:13 AM »

The best part is that they are small states.  They are the only chance that we have left for candidates for President to actually have to dirty their fingernails talking to real people and listening to real problems.  A national primary would only serve to infuse more of the problems that we have in the general election with money driving the game and tv ads replacing the stump speeches.

Iowa and New Hampshire is America's "nominating committee" and I am perfectly happy that those states have that very important role.
Don gave me an idea for cautious reform, actually. Only three states changed hands in 2004, and those include Iowa and New Hampshire, as he points out. One of the standard points of critique is that they're both smalltown, lily-white states - well, the third state to switch hands this year is the second least White in the Nation! New Mexico for first primary of the 2008 primary season!
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2004, 09:15:14 AM »

First, it is in the interest of the nation that no particular region and or ideology be given a special advantage either in the winnowing or ultimate selection process.

Second, it is the interest of the nation that candidates actually have to meet with real people in their quest for the nomination, and not simply be selected by big money and big media.

So, it is desireable that the initial stages of the selection process be reserved for the small states and that no region be given preference.  It also seems to me that where a primary is involved, it should be closed at least to the extent that adherents of other parties should NOT be allowed to participate in the nomination of another party's delegates to the national party convention.

One practice which occurs in some state (and I would advise for all) is that a candidate, whether for nomination (primary) or election (general/special) who has qualified to be listed on the ballot, should be allowed (for a minimal price) to make a brief statement of rational of candidacy in a phamphlet to be printed and distributed by the election authorities to all eligible voters.  This would, at least in part, curtail the excessive influence of money and media in the political process.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2004, 10:31:52 PM »

It also seems to me that where a primary is involved, it should be closed at least to the extent that adherents of other parties should NOT be allowed to participate in the nomination of another party's delegates to the national party convention.

Even still, using money collected from all taxpayers to fund primaries that only some taxpayers can vote in is BS. The parties should pay for their own primaries if they're closed.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2004, 02:30:45 AM »

It also seems to me that where a primary is involved, it should be closed at least to the extent that adherents of other parties should NOT be allowed to participate in the nomination of another party's delegates to the national party convention.

Even still, using money collected from all taxpayers to fund primaries that only some taxpayers can vote in is BS. The parties should pay for their own primaries if they're closed.

I agreeb with both sentiments. Party delegates should really represent the party. Party selection processes should be financed by the parties. This is one reason I favor caucuses.

For example, every spring after a presidential election there is a race for township offices in IL. These races are partisan, and each party township committee has a choice of a caucus or primary to select their slate for the consolidated election. The township commitee votes for the method, and costs are incurred by the party wither way. Since in IL one can change registration at the polling place, this can matter for contested races.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2004, 09:05:20 AM »

The current Primary system has several advantages.

1.  It permits candidates without a lot of money at the to arise.  Well financed candidates, Connelly (R-1980), Gramm (R-1996), Forbes (R-1996), Gore (D-1988), lost.  Some less well financed candidates were, Kerry (D-2004), Clinton (D-1992), Dukakis (D-1988) and Carter (D-1976).

2.  It permits less well known candidates to get their message accross, even if they don't win.  McGovern (D-1972), Carter (1976), Hart, (D-1984), Dukakis (D-1988), Dean (D 2004), and to a lesser extent McCain (R-2000).

3.  It gives the electorate a chance to see how well candidates can organize and respond to adversity.  While not as intense as the presidency, it is still exceptionally intense.

The list goes back to Muskie's tears during NH primary in 1972 and ends with Dean's "AAAAGH" after Iowa in 2004.  Some positive examples are Reagan's NH - 1980, "I'm paying for this microphone," and Clinton's 1992 60 Minutes interview.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2004, 12:17:03 PM »

The current Primary system has several advantages.

1.  It permits candidates without a lot of money at the to arise.  Well financed candidates, Connelly (R-1980), Gramm (R-1996), Forbes (R-1996), Gore (D-1988), lost.  Some less well financed candidates were, Kerry (D-2004), Clinton (D-1992), Dukakis (D-1988) and Carter (D-1976).

2.  It permits less well known candidates to get their message accross, even if they don't win.  McGovern (D-1972), Carter (1976), Hart, (D-1984), Dukakis (D-1988), Dean (D 2004), and to a lesser extent McCain (R-2000).

3.  It gives the electorate a chance to see how well candidates can organize and respond to adversity.  While not as intense as the presidency, it is still exceptionally intense.

The list goes back to Muskie's tears during NH primary in 1972 and ends with Dean's "AAAAGH" after Iowa in 2004.  Some positive examples are Reagan's NH - 1980, "I'm paying for this microphone," and Clinton's 1992 60 Minutes interview.
I agree that there are some plusses in the primary system. However, the 2004 example may not be so good. A string of primaries without the Iowa Caucus may well have favored Dean. Caucuses require voters to see their neighbors, and be influenced by them. There is a segment of primary voters who will selected the perceived front-runner if all things are equal between candidates. Media can have the last word in a primary, but not in a caucus.

The Dukakis campaign probably would have done as well with caucuses or primaries. I followed that one quite closely, and more than the other candidates, the Dukakis campaign wooed rank-and-file party leaders. This provided key organizational support. It's not that there were primaries that helped, but rather that the primary campaign was spread out over many months.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2004, 02:42:58 PM »

I agree that there are some plusses in the primary system. However, the 2004 example may not be so good. A string of primaries without the Iowa Caucus may well have favored Dean. Caucuses require voters to see their neighbors, and be influenced by them. There is a segment of primary voters who will selected the perceived front-runner if all things are equal between candidates. Media can have the last word in a primary, but not in a caucus.

This, however, is different from the question.  I personally feel that primaries and caucuses test different, but important things.  A caucus tests the ability of a candidates organization at the grass roots level.  Is he a good enough administrator to get his ground game together?  Is he going to inspire volunteers?

Primaries are about, will he inspire voters?  Can he package his message on a more wholesale level?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2004, 03:13:44 PM »

This, however, is different from the question.  I personally feel that primaries and caucuses test different, but important things.  A caucus tests the ability of a candidates organization at the grass roots level.  Is he a good enough administrator to get his ground game together?  Is he going to inspire volunteers?

Primaries are about, will he inspire voters?  Can he package his message on a more wholesale level?

Your comment inspires a new question. Have we entered an era where GOTV organization becomes as or more important than mass delivery of a message? The 2004 results suggest that that might be happening.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2004, 04:03:23 PM »

Since my last posting, there have been several thoughtful observations, to which I will respond.

First, with respect to WMS and his opposition to public financed primaries limited either to declared party adherents, or simply closed to declared adherents of other parties.

Primaries were larely FORCED on the parties, NOT something they CHOOSE to use.  Indeed, the National Democrat party has refused to recognize state primaries that do NOT meet their rules.

Further, a significant number of delegates to the national party conventions are selected by other than primary (superdelegate, caucuses, state conventions, etc.)

So, if states want to have primaries to select delegates for the party national conventions, they have to abide by party rules.

JJ

I largely agree with your posts but believe that the 2004 system used by the Democrats was seriously defective on several counts.

First, much of the winnowing had occured before a single state from the South or the West had an opportunity to participate.

Second, the system was so heavily 'front loaded' that a candidate was effectively selected before most of the prospective voters had an opportunity to have a careful look at the nominee.

Third, the system requires that delegates be selected to meet a variety of 'affirmative action' (quota) requirements.

Muon2,

Turnout has been a major factor for a long time whether in primaries or caucuses where only a small percentage of the potential electorate actually participates.

I cann't say I am particuarly impressed by 'mass' communications, as there are many problems with this system (the requirement of a great deal of money for some candidates, and the 'favor' or the media for others).

The candidate/message you see/hear via the mass media isn't necessary the 'real deal.' 

FINALLY

I notice that no one made any comment on my suggestion that candidates be provided (at nominal costs) with a page in a phamplet mailed by the state to all eligible voters in which to state his/her case.  This technique really curtails the influence of money and media in the process.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2004, 10:36:20 AM »

Okay, you want a comment on that idea...
While it's certainly not a bad idea, I don't think the effect would be large. They'll still buy TV ads etc as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies