Red state turning blue
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:22:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Red state turning blue
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which red state is the most likely to turn blue?
Alabama
Alaska
Idaho
Kansas
Mississippi
Nebraska
North Dakota
Oklahoma
South Carolina
South Dakota
Texas
Utah
Wyoming
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Red state turning blue  (Read 13702 times)
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2011, 05:55:59 PM »

The items listed above are all states that voted Republican in each presidential election from 1992 trough to 2008.

Which of them, in your estimation, could most possibly turn "blue" in future presidential elections?

(You've only got one vote.)
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 06:00:43 PM »

You mean Blue States turning Red. Wink

Texas. By process of elimination.
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 06:03:17 PM »

You mean Blue States turning Red. Wink

Texas. By process of elimination.

Yeah, it's all a question of definition. Smiley
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 06:37:08 PM »

Either the Dakotas or Texas. A really good Democrat could win the Dakotas in a landslide, but it is more likely that Texas will become competitive before a Democrat gets 57% of the popular vote (assuming a shift from Obama's 52.6% is uniform and takes his 45.0% of the vote in either Dakota and makes it 49.4% when a 3rd party takes more than 1.2% of the vote) Tongue
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 07:12:28 PM »

Texas because of demographic trends, but I do believe the Dakotas are winnable in the right year with the right candidate. I wouldn't be surprised if Mississippi goes blue twenty or thirty years from now.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 02:12:54 AM »

Texas because of demographic trends, but I do believe the Dakotas are winnable in the right year with the right candidate. I wouldn't be surprised if Mississippi goes blue twenty or thirty years from now.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 04:27:33 AM »

Among those, Texas.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 06:18:22 AM »

I honestly don't see much of a trend in Texas, and the GOP base states are probably not going anywhere for a while. I'd go with SC, reluctantly.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 06:34:30 AM »
« Edited: September 20, 2011, 06:44:30 AM by King Roy.......The Rat »

I honestly don't see much of a trend in Texas, and the GOP base states are probably not going anywhere for a while. I'd go with SC, reluctantly.

Yeah and a lot of people who do assume it'll be Democratic due to Hispanics fail to take into consideration the possibility of said demographic becoming "mainstreamed".
Texas Hispanics are already more Republican than the average Hispanic as it is.  And just because Obama lost Texas by 11 points instead of 20+ doesn't mean it's suddenly a swing state.

Now if a Democratic candidate wins the county that College Station resides in......then we'll talk.
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 06:37:50 AM »

For a lack of a better alternative I voted Mississippi. I don't think Texas will go blue anytime soon. The Texas Republicans are quite skilled at winning elections, and the Texas Democrats seem pretty incompetent (not as incompetent as the NY GOP of course).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 06:40:17 AM »

As it regards to the question I think either of the Dakotas is the most vulnerable.
In the case of a landslide election.
chdr

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 09:58:05 AM »

I think Texas is the most likely state in the list to become a swing state (because let's face it, there are huge chunks of Texas that will never not be Republican). Most of Texas' growth is coming from Hispanics and out-of-staters moving in, something that resembles Florida (another red state with influential pockets of blue). It probably won't happen until a few decades from now, but I don't think Republican gerrymandering can prevent it forever.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 11:30:57 AM »

Is Mississippi getting blacker?
Guderian

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 01:39:01 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2011, 01:49:31 PM by Guderian »

36.66% in 2000, 37.00% in 2010. Hispanics are growing too (like everywhere else), but this is all probably neutralized by the fact that Mississippi whites are becoming even more Republican with yellow dog types dying out, like Gene Taylor found out. It's highly unlikely this state will change much politically on presidential level in foreseeable future.

Popular, moderate Democratic incumbent (like Clinton in 1996) could win Dakotas if he decided to target them intentionally as "crown jewels" in a successful reelection bid, but that's unlikely because Dakotas are not worth much electorally.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 01:53:40 PM »

36.66% in 2000, 37.00% in 2010. Hispanics are growing too (like everywhere else), but this is all probably neutralized by the fact that Mississippi whites are becoming even more Republican with yellow dog types dying out, like Gene Taylor found out. It's highly unlikely this state will change much politically on presidential level in foreseeable future.

Popular, moderate Democratic incumbent (like Clinton in 1996) could win Dakotas if he decided to target them intentionally as "crown jewels" in a successful reelection bid, but that's unlikely because Dakotas are not worth much electorally.

You can't get much more republican than 90-10.
Guderian

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 02:03:38 PM »

I thought it was more like 85-15. But Republicans definitely don't need much since minority growth is rather slow in Mississippi.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 02:38:30 PM »

To be fair, Obama did worse than any other major Democratic candidate would have with white Southerners (that includes Edwards)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »

I thought it was more like 85-15. But Republicans definitely don't need much since minority growth is rather slow in Mississippi.
I agree that there is no danger of mississippi swinging anytime soon but that won't be because of whites trending republican but as you say slow minority growth.

Here's the exit poll: http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/results/states/exitpolls/mississippi.html
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 03:26:46 PM »

Texas or failing that South Carolina.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 05:02:58 PM »

I'm torn.  TX is pretty clearly moving toward tilt R/swing state status by the mid 2020's, but I can't ever see it actually "turning blue" on a long term basis.  In ND or SD there isn't a meaningful Democratic trend at present, but with their low populations, they could swing more rapidly with population growth.  A wind energy boom later this decade or in the 2020's could turn them very blue very fast. 
DS0816
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 03:07:17 PM »

The items listed above are all states that voted Republican in each presidential election from 1992 trough to 2008.

Which of them, in your estimation, could most possibly turn "blue" in future presidential elections?

With respect to you and this poll, the answer is this: for any of these to turn blue in a presidential election, we would see a Democrat elected having carried 80 percent of the states in this country. An overwhelming, national victory like what we used to get before the 1990s. (My answer is the same with the other thread's poll, touching on the same subject but asking for a scenario opposite of this one.)
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 03:51:49 PM »

With respect to you and this poll, the answer is this: for any of these to turn blue in a presidential election, we would see a Democrat elected having carried 80 percent of the states in this country. An overwhelming, national victory like what we used to get before the 1990s. (My answer is the same with the other thread's poll, touching on the same subject but asking for a scenario opposite of this one.)

So, if I understand you right, to paraphrase, your response would be: never, except for a Democratic landslide victory?
Nichlemn

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 10:00:56 PM »

This is wrong, but closer to the truth than for the other scenario. The fact you can't see why the two are different is troubling.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 01:20:20 PM »

Look at the Exit polls from Texas in 2008/2010. Dems won the under 30 vote in the Pres/Gov elections and the under 45 vote was split about 50/50. Texas may never be a Democratic stronghold but it is definitely moving to swing state status in the not to distant future.
Nichlemn

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 08:46:03 PM »

Look at the Exit polls from Texas in 2008/2010. Dems won the under 30 vote in the Pres/Gov elections and the under 45 vote was split about 50/50. Texas may never be a Democratic stronghold but it is definitely moving to swing state status in the not to distant future.

That's the case in a lot of states, though. It would be like saying Kansas will become a swing state because Obama won the under 30 vote there. Maybe the effect is bigger in Texas than nationwide but you haven't shown that.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies