Debate For Northeast Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:36:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Debate For Northeast Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Debate For Northeast Legislature  (Read 2002 times)
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2004, 07:32:33 PM »
« edited: December 19, 2004, 07:40:56 PM by Gov. MAS117 »

I hereby open the debate on these regulations for all members of the Northeast. I will end the debate on Thursday at 7:30pm. GUSTAF, PLEASE STICKY THIS THREAD. As for section 1 of these regulations, during voting you will be able to vote aye or nay for the regulations as a whole, and then choose which part of section 1 you want you included. All members of the northeast are free to comment on these, and give advice or new ideas about how to change these. Also, thanks to Atty. Gen. Peter Bell, and of course my goodfriend ColinW of PA for helping me out with these. Voting will be after the holidays. Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Northeastern National Guard Regulations Act[/u]

§ IA. Calling Out the Guard
The Governor of the Northeastern region is the sole person that has the authority to call up and use the Northeastern National Guard. In the case of a vacany in the office of Governor of the Northeast, the Lieutenant Governor will take control of the guard, upon his oath of office (see Article III, Section III of the Northeast Constitution).

or

§ IB. Calling Out the Guard
The Governor of the Northeastern region or the Regional Assembly has the authority to call up and use the Northeastern National Guard. For the Assembly to call out the Northeastern National Guard their must be a two thirds majority in favor of calling out the guard in order for the order to be valid. In the case of a vacany in the office of Governor of the Northeast, the Lieutenant Governor will take control of the guard, upon his oath of office (see Article III, Section III of the Northeast Constitution).

§ II. Death to soliders
The family of any solider who dies while on active duty in the Northeastern National Guard shall receive a compensation from the Government of the Northeast of $20,000 dollars each year over 5 years, to total to $100,000 dollars.

§ III. The Commander of the Guard
The Northeastern National Guard shall be commanded by a person with the position and title of the Adjutant General. The Adjutant General shall report directly to the Commander-in-Chief (Governor of the Northeast). The Adjutant General is appointed by the Governor of the Northeast, and shall remain in his/her post until asked to resign by the Commander-in-Chief.

§ IV. Splitting of the Guard
The guard should be split into two seperate sections. The Northeastern Army National Guard, and the Northeastern Air National Guard. The Adjutant General shall command both of these sections, and can be from either the Army National Guard, or the Air National Guard. The Atlasian Coast Guard will control the waters of the Northeast region, along with help from the individual State Polices.

§ V. Tours of Duty
Any person who enlists in the Northeastern National Guard, shall serve one tour of duty, consisting of two years, with the option to re-enlist for more tours of duty.

§ VI. National Guard Salaries
The salary of the Northeastern National Guard will be set by the assembly and will be subject to review every year at which time the assembly may vote to either raise, lower or stabilize the current salary of the members of the Guard.

Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 07:38:53 PM »

A believe 1B would be best for the Northeast since it gives the assembly more power and acts as a check to the Governors power. This is essential in a time when a Governor will not call out the Guard but a majority of the Northeast does. It also gives the Northeast Regional Assembly a job and more power than it currently has. The Assembly often doesn't do anything this would give it some sort of power over the governor in times of crisis. 1B is a much better decision for the Northeast since it gives the people of the Northeast a say and it adds a check to the Governors power.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 07:44:13 PM »

I support 1B.

For II, instead of $20,000, it should be the soldier's pay for five years.

For III, I think the Adjutant general should be from the national military.

I support IV.

V should have a clause saying the person can be taken out of the guard for certain circumstances approved by a military board.  Also, a clause should be added saying the government cannot force members to stay longer.

I support VI.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 07:47:19 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2004, 07:48:50 PM by Gov. MAS117 »

The Adjutant General will be someone from the Northeastern National Guard, rather then that of the Atlasian Army.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 08:04:42 PM »

The Adjutant General will be someone from the Northeastern National Guard, rather then that of the Atlasian Army.

Why not set up set up a council made up of mostly Northeastern national guard members, but some generals from the national army.  I think the national government should maintain some level of control of the NATIONAL guard.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 08:08:36 PM »

Why not set up set up a council made up of mostly Northeastern national guard members, but some generals from the national army.  I think the national government should maintain some level of control of the NATIONAL guard.
Too complicated. It would spoil the chain of command. The adjutant General should be appointed by the Governor and should be a National Guard Officer of sufficient experiece.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 08:17:18 PM »

Too complicated. It would spoil the chain of command. The adjutant General should be appointed by the Governor and should be a National Guard Officer of sufficient experiece.

I agree.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 10:26:55 PM »

I oppose the creation of any new positions.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 10:28:56 PM »

I agree with KEmperor.  No need to create new positions.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2004, 10:30:08 PM »

I agree with KEmperor.  No need to create new positions.

I also agree. The Adjutant General is a fictional position unless there is a callup of the guard and we need one.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2004, 11:01:05 PM »

I will still support the appointment of the adjutant general.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2004, 11:03:37 PM »

It's a fictional position.

I will still support the appointment of the adjutant general.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 12:51:09 AM »

As someone who lives in the only State that still elects an Adjutant General, I can tell you that under real life law that while the States may choose anyone they want to to be Adjutant General, they must be qualified to hold the rank of Major General under Federal regulations in order to be in the loop so far as the chain of command in concerned while the Guard is in Federal service, otherwise all he does is serve as a paperwork courier.  We had a candidate run for that office a few years back that didn't meet the requirements for a Major General and it was a campaign issue then.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004, 01:00:07 AM »

As someone who lives in the only State that still elects an Adjutant General, I can tell you that under real life law that while the States may choose anyone they want to to be Adjutant General, they must be qualified to hold the rank of Major General under Federal regulations in order to be in the loop so far as the chain of command in concerned while the Guard is in Federal service, otherwise all he does is serve as a paperwork courier.  We had a candidate run for that office a few years back that didn't meet the requirements for a Major General and it was a campaign issue then.

The Adjutant General in NJ is a Maj. Gen., and I've actually met him, he is not elected but rather nominted by the Governor, and confirmed by the Senate. I did not know you had to be a Major General. I could include that in the final regs.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 01:12:33 AM »

If it hadn't become a campaign issue here, I wouldn't have known it either.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 04:08:01 AM »

I propose the name be changed to Northeast Militia.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 04:26:15 AM »

I don't see a need to create a new position.  The Governor of whatever region is in question should be more than sufficient for controlling the guard.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2004, 07:26:22 AM »

The position of Adjutant General is ficitional. I don't know how many times I have to say it. I'm about to take the section out.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2004, 11:12:38 AM »

Is that a partisan election? With primaries and stuff?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2004, 11:34:00 AM »

Okay here is all you need to know about the adjutant General:

ITS AN ENTIRELY FICTIONAL POST. NO REAL ATLASIA WILL FILL THE POST UNLESS THE GUARD IS CALLED UP AT WHICH TIME THE GOVERNOR WILL APPOINT SOMEONE TO LEAD THE GUARD.

Now stop with the questions about the Adjutant General.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2004, 11:42:08 AM »

ITS AN ENTIRELY FICTIONAL POST. NO REAL ATLASIA WILL FILL THE POST UNLESS THE GUARD IS CALLED UP AT WHICH TIME THE GOVERNOR WILL APPOINT SOMEONE TO LEAD THE GUARD.

Nah, I was talking to Ernest about the SC Adjutant General, not apparently a fictional post.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2004, 11:44:09 AM »

Nah, I was talking to Ernest about the SC Adjutant General, not apparently a fictional post.
I wasn't talking to you I was talking to KEmp and Defarge and the others who have come out against the Adjutant General position.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2004, 11:48:57 AM »

Is that a partisan election? With primaries and stuff?
Yes, the South Carolina Adjutant General is elected in such a fashion.  The Democrats didn't have anyone file to run in 2002, but there was a three-way contest in the Republican primary for the post.  In 1998, both parties had a two-way contest in the primary and they faced off on the general election.  We're having talk yet once again of making some of our elected constitutional officers be appointed by the Governor instead in the wake of Inez's run for Senate, but I don't think anything will come of it.  A divided executive is one of the ways that the General Assembly keeps the upper hand in this state.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2004, 04:56:34 PM »

Thank you Colin.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2004, 05:41:04 PM »

Thank you Colin.
No problem Mr. Governor.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies