StevenNick press conference
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:40:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  StevenNick press conference
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: StevenNick press conference  (Read 723 times)
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2004, 03:48:17 PM »
« edited: December 21, 2004, 04:06:32 PM by StevenNick »

I just thought I'd make a few announcements regarding my agenda upon taking office as Secretary of Forum Affairs.  First of all, I plan on assuming office ASAP.  I will be leaving for Mexico on January 9 and, while I imagine I will have time to post on the forum, I will not have as much during the month of January, so it is imperative that I take office right away to get a head start on some of the very important pieces of business that need to be addressed.

As soon as I have been sworn in as Secretary of Forum Affairs, I will repost the Atlas Forum Headquarters thread, a new Office of the Secretary of Forum Affairs thread, and a new registration thread.   In the new Secretary of Forum Affairs thread I will immediately post an updated list of registered voters.

I also plan on lobbying the senate for voting reform.  The constitution is vague when it comes to voting regulations and the senate has not yet passed a single piece of legislation addressing the issue.  I have begun preparing a report on the constitutional reforms necessary to avoid an electoral crisis in the upcoming election.  This will be the most important piece of business I must complete in the coming months.

I look forward to a productive period as Secretary of Forum Affairs.  I realize that I have big shoes to fill and I intend to fill them.  If any of you have any questions at this point in time, I'd be happy to answer them.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 04:16:44 PM »

Will everyone have to re-register in 2005 (which I support) in the new registration thread you plan on making?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 04:18:00 PM »

Would you support a policy to make the register thread like the voting thread, with no outside comments, and then you could set up a seperate thread for registering comments and questions.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 04:19:16 PM »

are you resigning the senate now?  Will we have to have a special election for the remaining few weeks of your seat?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 04:31:53 PM »

Steve: I don't mind you as SoFA if you act in a non-partisan way.

Oh and could the President fire his idiotic Chief of Staff?
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 05:23:50 PM »

Will everyone have to re-register in 2005 (which I support) in the new registration thread you plan on making?

No, the new registration thread will only be used by used for new registrations.  Perhaps at some point in the future I may work with the senate to develop some voting regulations that requires periodic re-registration, but until then I will simply be operating under current law and the precedents established by former SoFA Fritz.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 05:27:00 PM »

Would you support a policy to make the register thread like the voting thread, with no outside comments, and then you could set up a seperate thread for registering comments and questions.

Yes, this is the main purpose of starting a new registration thread.  The current registration thread is currently 111 pages due to all the off-topic comments that people have posted.  My new registration thread will be for registrations only.  I had not planned on creating a separate thread for comments and questions, but I think it is a good one.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 05:31:40 PM »

are you resigning the senate now?  Will we have to have a special election for the remaining few weeks of your seat?

I will be resigning my senate seat the day that I am sworn in as Secretary of Forum Affairs.  Right now I am currently deciding when the best time for that would be.  The constitution is very clear that any resignation or vacancy in the senate for any other reason should trigger a special election within a week to elect a senator to finish out the term.  To avoid a special election I will probably wait until one week before the end of the current term to resign my seat and be sworn in as SoFA.  It's a little ridiculous, but I feel that it would set a bad precedent if I began to ignore the constitution from the beginning of my time as Secretary of Forum Affairs.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 05:35:55 PM »

I plan to do just that, Al.  In fact, the report that I am currently preparing in regards to voting regulations has vast implications in the disputed district 4 senate election that republicans will not be entirely pleased with.

Apart from that I plan to follow the constitution and the statues put in place by the senate and the president.  Period.  Parisan politics should not and will not have any bearing in my decision making process as Secretary of Forum Affairs.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I have no control over that, whatsoever.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 11:40:08 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2004, 09:28:41 PM by Senator-Elect WMS »

I plan to do just that, Al.  In fact, the report that I am currently preparing in regards to voting regulations has vast implications in the disputed district 4 senate election that republicans will not be entirely pleased with.

Looking forward with interest to what you have to say! I have some ideas of my own, but I'm waiting until I'm sworn in and the Senate *backlog* is gone before I present them. What you have to say will impact what I push for in the Senate.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 01:51:02 AM »

Looking forward with interest to what you have to say! I have some ideas of my own, but I'm waiting until I'm sworn in and the Senate backog is gone before I present them. What you have to say will impact what I push for in the Senate.
Very glad to hear that, from both of you.

Oh, one thing: Effectively, our current law already requires constant reregistration - at the ballot box, every four months.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 03:12:24 AM »

Apart from that I plan to follow the constitution and the statues put in place by the senate and the president.  Period.  Parisan politics should not and will not have any bearing in my decision making process as Secretary of Forum Affairs.

Glad to hear it :-)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Damn
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 09:30:42 PM »

Looking forward with interest to what you have to say! I have some ideas of my own, but I'm waiting until I'm sworn in and the Senate backlog is gone before I present them. What you have to say will impact what I push for in the Senate.
Very glad to hear that, from both of you.

Oh, one thing: Effectively, our current law already requires constant reregistration - at the ballot box, every four months.

Oh, I think you'll like my electoral reforms...the ones that pass, anyway. Tongue

And I have a registration reform in mind, based on actual policy. You'll see that, too, but later. Smiley
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 09:43:13 PM »

Oh, I think you'll like my electoral reforms...the ones that pass, anyway. Tongue

And I have a registration reform in mind, based on actual policy. You'll see that, too, but later. Smiley

We should collaborate on some electoral reforms.  I will be releasing a report as soon as I am sworn in as SoFA (probably the day after Christmas or so) that gives some suggestions on possible electoral reforms.  Perhaps we could put our heads together and jointly motivate the senate and the president to take the issue on.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2004, 09:49:47 PM »

We should collaborate on some electoral reforms.  I will be releasing a report as soon as I am sworn in as SoFA (probably the day after Christmas or so) that gives some suggestions on possible electoral reforms.  Perhaps we could put our heads together and jointly motivate the senate and the president to take the issue on.

Sounds reasonable. I have the ideas formed but they're not in proper legal-speak, as it were.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies