Who loses and who wins in 2010 Congressional redistricting compared to 2000?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:03:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Who loses and who wins in 2010 Congressional redistricting compared to 2000?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Compared to the 2000 round of redistricting, 2010's will:
have more Democratic seats

have more Republican seats

maintain the existing number of D/R seats

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Who loses and who wins in 2010 Congressional redistricting compared to 2000?  (Read 1726 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2011, 05:59:58 AM »
« edited: September 20, 2011, 06:06:23 AM by greenforest32 »

I know redistricting won't be over for many months (and legal challenges) but what do you predict overall compared to the last round of redistricting?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:57:26 PM »

Democrats sure picked a great year to mess up.  Had Democrats had a decent year in 2010, they could have made it so the only states Republicans controlled were Tennessee, Utah, and Texas while Democrats controlled New York, Illinois, Arkansas, Maryland, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Carolina, and maybe even Virginia, and Michigan.  Obama really screwed the Democrats at the worst possible time. 
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:01:04 PM »

Democrats sure picked a great year to mess up.  Had Democrats had a decent year in 2010, they could have made it so the only states Republicans controlled were Tennessee, Utah, and Texas while Democrats controlled New York, Illinois, Arkansas, Maryland, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Carolina, and maybe even Virginia, and Michigan.  Obama really screwed the Democrats at the worst possible time. 

Ohio would have been interesting at best for the Democrats because after drawing a VRA seat in Cleveland it's virtually impossible to get more than 3-4 other seats that are reliably Democratic. The state is naturally gerrymandered for the Republicans. I've tried to draw a Democratic gerrymander a couple times and it's really hard.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 11:14:10 PM »

Ohio would have been interesting at best for the Democrats because after drawing a VRA seat in Cleveland it's virtually impossible to get more than 3-4 other seats that are reliably Democratic. The state is naturally gerrymandered for the Republicans. I've tried to draw a Democratic gerrymander a couple times and it's really hard.

If Democrats had a say in the map, the 1st district would have been kept competitive and the vote sink in Columbus would have been about 60-40 Democratic rather than 67-33 Dem. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 11:35:04 PM »

If Democrats had a say in the map, the 1st district would have been kept competitive and the vote sink in Columbus would have been about 60-40 Democratic rather than 67-33 Dem. 

If you keep the Columbus CD all in the City of Columbus, respecting jurisdictional lines, it becomes a Dem vote sink. In that sense, it is a "natural" Dem vote sink. I think that is reasonable.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 08:38:51 AM »

It can be done though, I've drawn solid map that would reduce the Republican delegation to (depending on who wins primaries) Boehner, Schmidt/Austria (Austria favored), Jordan/Latta (Jordan favored), and Renecci/Gibbs/Tiberi (any of them could win though Renecci is slightly favored).  It is pretty ugly though.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 12:13:58 AM »

I would agree that its more difficult to draw a Dem gerrymander in Ohio that would be as good (or bad) as the map that just passed for the GOP in the state.  However, it is possible to make several more competitive seats that would be winnable by moderate Democrats.  I think most Ohio Democrats realize that even within their own ranks they are slightly to the right of the national party.  Given a more balanced map, I think you could see 10-12 Democrats in a 2006/08 style election and perhaps a low of 3-5 in a year like 2010.  I think that's a risk enough Democrats would be willing to take to secure more competition in Ohio but perhaps I'm overestimating them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies