The Official Fox News/Google Debate Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:19:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Official Fox News/Google Debate Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
Author Topic: The Official Fox News/Google Debate Discussion Thread  (Read 28695 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: September 22, 2011, 11:40:23 PM »

Sam, old chap, testosterone does not equal "slumber." Tongue  You really need to get out more. Did you really think Perry was remotely viable - ever?  How long has it been since you've been in Texas?  Just asking. The last bit was serious actually.  

I was in Texas about a month ago.  I get out enough already.  I do live in NYC, after all.

I think you know my feelings about Perry, both before and after he announced.  This is pretty well-documented on the forum.

Slumber was a poor word choice; stupor is far better.  As in "Being in a stupor from watching a dull Republican debate, Sam Spade improperly used his vocabulary to describe Torie's lack of judgment in determining which political candidates to support and his inability to admit mistakes in making said choices."
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #451 on: September 22, 2011, 11:43:25 PM »

The real question, again, is who will be the anti-Romney?  I guess that Perry can keep that stature, so long as no one else enters, as he has the money and very smart people behind his campaign, but even then it is possible that it could go to someone else presently in the field, odd as that seems.  None of these people can get to the nomination, though.  But the point is that the true anti-Romney will emerge at some point - we just need to wait.

Palin. I've said it before - she is an absolute genius politically. Although it could also be said that she only looks at the blinding evidence and unlike other politicians is actually willing to act on that evidence. Did you hear she was praised by Ralph Nader this week? That man gets it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #452 on: September 22, 2011, 11:55:28 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2011, 12:05:36 AM by Torie »

Sam, old chap, testosterone does not equal "slumber." Tongue  You really need to get out more. Did you really think Perry was remotely viable - ever?  How long has it been since you've been in Texas?  Just asking. The last bit was serious actually.  

I was in Texas about a month ago.  I get out enough already.  I do live in NYC, after all.

I think you know my feelings about Perry, both before and after he announced.  This is pretty well-documented on the forum.

Slumber was a poor word choice; stupor is far better.  As in "Being in a stupor from watching a dull Republican debate, Sam Spade improperly used his vocabulary to describe Torie's lack of judgment in determining which political candidates to support and his inability to admit mistakes in making said choices."

OK, but Sam, I admitted that I have found Huntsman to be a disappointment, even though I think he would be a competent President, and I admitted that Obama has been a "huge disappointment."  One thing I think I do OK, in part because I'm old, and have a certain self confidence, is that when I think I made a mistake, I have no problem admitting it. I make a lot of mistakes in life - a lot. But somehow I still seemed to manage. I guess it's a batting average thing.

Anyway, I hope I didn't offend you Sam. I josh a lot. I hope you know that, and that I am always interested in what you have to say. I wouldn't say that, if I didn't value what you had to say.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #453 on: September 23, 2011, 12:09:34 AM »

Sam, old chap, testosterone does not equal "slumber." Tongue  You really need to get out more. Did you really think Perry was remotely viable - ever?  How long has it been since you've been in Texas?  Just asking. The last bit was serious actually. 

I was in Texas about a month ago.  I get out enough already.  I do live in NYC, after all.

I think you know my feelings about Perry, both before and after he announced.  This is pretty well-documented on the forum.

Slumber was a poor word choice; stupor is far better.  As in "Being in a stupor from watching a dull Republican debate, Sam Spade improperly used his vocabulary to describe Torie's lack of judgment in determining which political candidates to support and his inability to admit mistakes in making said choices."

OK, but Sam, I admitted that I have found Huntsman to be a disappointment, even though I think he would be a competent President, and I admitted that Obama has been a "huge disappointment."  One thing I think I do OK, in part because I'm old, and have a certain self confidence, is that when I think I made a mistake, I have no problem admitting it. I make a lot of mistakes in life - a lot. But somehow I still seemed to manage. I guess it's a batting average thing.

Anyway, I hope I didn't offend you Sam. I josh a lot. I hope you know that, and that I am always interested in what you have to say. I wouldn't say that, if I didn't value what you had to say.

You don't like Huntsman now? Why? I find him to be better than Romney though Romney is obviously relevant whereas Huntsman isn't.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #454 on: September 23, 2011, 12:12:41 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2011, 12:20:37 AM by Torie »

Oh Sbane, I like Huntsman a lot, and his points of view most closely comport with mine. He's disappointing because he's insufficiently effective, and just frankly, does not have the depth of Mittens. I really sense that. The rest of the field of course in my opinion just isn't in their league. They are the serious adults. JMO opinion of course.

Anyway, Huntsman is no longer in the hunt. Mittens isn't going to stumble. He's dominating.

By the way, in listening to the debate now. Santorum seemed to just say, that if he were President, not only gays in the military should go back into the closet, but also heteros. Yes, I started laughing uncontrollably. So much silliness ... so little time. Bless Rick though for making me smile.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #455 on: September 23, 2011, 12:14:05 AM »

Folks here seem to be missing that Perry is allowing Mitt to appear to move to the right of him, especially on immigration.

After watching tonight, Perry is done, long-term, which leaves Mitt as the only announced candidate with a chance at the nomination.  Watch.

Better late than never Sam. Smiley  But Perry is the best thing that ever happened to Mitt. He gets a chance to appear adult, and more knowledgable, and nuanced, again and again, while Perry and Bachmann and Santorum chew each other up. I'm sure Mitttens hopes they all stay in through Florida. After that, it's over.

Oh, one other thing: as each drops out, they will endorse Mitt.
Most GOP voters don't want somebody who appears "adult, knowledgable and nuanced" even if you do.  
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #456 on: September 23, 2011, 12:15:30 AM »

OK, but Sam, I admitted that I have found Huntsman to be a disappointment, even though I think he would be a competent President, and I admitted that Obama has been a "huge disappointment."  One thing I think I do OK, in part because I'm old, and have a certain self confidence, is that when I think I made a mistake, I have no problem admitting it. I make a lot of mistakes in life - a lot. But somehow I still seemed to manage. I guess it's a batting average thing.

Well, I'll at least take you getting 75% of the way there, for now. 

Btw, I make more mistakes than even you, and am happy to admit them.  As I have done on this forum many times.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's hard to offend me, Torie.  Annoy me, not so hard...  Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #457 on: September 23, 2011, 12:16:19 AM »

Watching it now. I liked the exchange between Huntsman and Santorum. Huntsman is right, of course. At the end of the day, we cannot fix all these countries on our own. Mittens is doing fine as usual, which only serves to make me angry that he is not dominating in the polls.
t_host1

« Reply #458 on: September 23, 2011, 12:21:29 AM »

immigration - a monster and ugly. Romney and Bachmann want the wall - that's ugly. Texans want to pay illegals education cost, states rights? I guess illegals know were the sugar daddy is, southern border Gov's - Reagan, Bush(s) ... Perry? it is a different place to be..

You all happy, Santorum gets the gay?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #459 on: September 23, 2011, 12:22:13 AM »

Oh Sbane, I like Huntsman a lot, and his points of view most closely comport with mine. He's disappointing because he's insufficiently effective, and just frankly, does not have the depth of Mittens. I really sense that. The rest of the field of course in my opinion just isn't in their league. They are the serious adults. JMO opinion of course.

Anyway, Huntsman is no longer in the hunt. Mittens isn't going to stumble. He's dominating.

Huntsman is not an adult.  Rather, he is merely an annoying, petulant child, who is a bit of an asshole and even more disingenuous than Mitt (if such a thing were possible).

Mitt is an adult, we agree there.  And the rest of the present field isn't, we agree there too.  But in order for the GOP to not suffer utter and total catastrophe were it to win the Presidency in 2012, the GOP will have to have a real leader, the type very rare in American history.  Otherwise, it would be much better for the GOP for Obama to be in control.  Leaders are sometimes adults, sometimes not.  Mitt is the latter, not the former.  Choose your poison well.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #460 on: September 23, 2011, 12:25:31 AM »

Who's the "white knight" who will save us all Sam?  And if you say, be patient, I will whip your ass!  Smiley
t_host1

« Reply #461 on: September 23, 2011, 12:29:57 AM »

Watching it now. I liked the exchange between Huntsman and Santorum. Huntsman is right, of course. At the end of the day, we cannot fix all these countries on our own. Mittens is doing fine as usual, which only serves to make me angry that he is not dominating in the polls.

Because he's the plastic guy..
t_host1

« Reply #462 on: September 23, 2011, 12:47:58 AM »

So far, newt's not sugar coating anything... invoking the 11th, he said he has a plan to release in an up coming trip to Iowa.

Johnson - balance budget.

It will be best achieved with whom can put together a coalition, like what newt has already accomplished once... if only...
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #463 on: September 23, 2011, 01:03:49 AM »

Woah...the expert political analysis from our resident political heavyweights here is just...wow!

Candidate A is an adult. Candidate B is not.

Mind blowing. Have you considered doing this professionally???
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #464 on: September 23, 2011, 02:20:57 AM »

It was amusing to watch Perry commit political suicide on live TV.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #465 on: September 23, 2011, 02:49:04 AM »

Can someone please give me a short summary of what happened in the debate ?

Anything important or amusing ?

I didn't watch it, because I was away until after midnight and needed some sleep.
Wonkish1

« Reply #466 on: September 23, 2011, 03:12:11 AM »

Perry bombed, BIGTIME!

At one point, he tried to go after Romney for flip flopping and sounded like a stoner trying to do calculus. Just stumbling all over his tongue.

Cain and Newt will move higher in the polls this next week. Both had strong performances. Expected for Newt, but most would say it was his best yet(he seems to out do himself each time). A strong performance for Cain is less expected and he had a very, very good night with definitely the most memorable moment of the debate(his battle with cancer and how he would be dead if it occurred under ObamaCare--standing Ovation).

Romney kept up with his usual polished presidential routine. I don't think his performance was really any better than his previous ones. But I think Perry was so bad, he ended up making Romney look like he had his best in comparison. Luntz group voted Romney as the winner by about 80% when only 1/5 came in as Romney supporters.

Luntz group had about 1/6 switch candidates. Evenly spread from Perry to Romney, Perry to Gingrich and Perry to Cain.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #467 on: September 23, 2011, 03:17:43 AM »

Perry bombed, BIGTIME!

At one point, he tried to go after Romney for flip flopping and sounded like a stoner trying to do calculus. Just stumbling all over his tongue.

Cain and Newt will move higher in the polls this next week. Both had strong performances. Expected for Newt, but most would say it was his best yet(he seems to out do himself each time). A strong performance for Cain is less expected and he had a very, very good night with definitely the most memorable moment of the debate(his battle with cancer and how he would be dead if it occurred under ObamaCare--standing Ovation).

Romney kept up with his usual polished presidential routine. I don't think his performance was really any better than his previous ones. But I think Perry was so bad, he ended up making Romney look like he had his best in comparison. Luntz group voted Romney as the winner by about 80% when only 1/5 came in as Romney supporters.

Luntz group had about 1/6 switch candidates. Evenly spread from Perry to Romney, Perry to Gingrich and Perry to Cain.

Thx.

What about Paul, Santorum, Bachmann, Huntsman, Johnson ?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #468 on: September 23, 2011, 03:26:13 AM »

Wasn't there a straw poll too after the debate ?
Wonkish1

« Reply #469 on: September 23, 2011, 03:33:05 AM »

Bachmann's finished. She probably had the 2nd worst performance and she wont shut up about Gardasil.

Johnson had the best 1 liner of the debate. Right before it ended he said that, "His neighbors dogs have created more shovel ready jobs than Obama has." Otherwise just about every answer of his started with, "Since I plan to balance the budget in my first year..."

Paul is Paul. His debate performance is exactly how you would expect it go. Same points, same temperament. He has to be the most remarkably consistent debater I've ever seen. You've seen him once you've seen them all.

Santorum is a tough one he had a couple of his best moments I think, but also a prolonged period of time where he was really, really whiny about something it slips my mind. And he's getting more and more frustratingly aggressive and combative(if he wasn't to much of that already). My bet is that he stays the same in the polls.

Huntsman had a good debate. He had some good unique answers on education and healthcare. Not enough though for him to leave low digit hell in the polls.
Wonkish1

« Reply #470 on: September 23, 2011, 03:37:14 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/09/22/who-won-debate/

Online poll after debate.

1. Romney
2. Cain
3. Gingrich

Of course anybody above the age of 8 would tell you that the Rick Perry vote on their is a joke. And as we all know Paulites will give RP a straw poll win regardless of his performance.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #471 on: September 23, 2011, 07:34:28 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2011, 07:36:20 AM by Sam Spade »

Who's the "white knight" who will save us all Sam?  And if you say, be patient, I will whip your ass!  Smiley

There probably isn't one.  But it is less a matter of what "white knight" will save us, rather who can weather the storm and keep things intact.
Guderian

« Reply #472 on: September 23, 2011, 08:05:52 AM »

Romney has been running for President for last five years and Perry is running for only one month, and it's starting to show. Mittens is also naturally a better debater, so it's not unexpected that he has the upper hand so far. However, one major error Perry made was when he doubled down on immigration. He allowed Romney to move to his right on one issue and not seem dishonest while doing it. Also "heartless" is a terrible choice of word - it gives all these compassionate conservatism flashbacks and it sounds like Democratic talking point. As a soft Perry supporter I think this was a terrible, terrible performance.

Among other, Cain and Gingrich did well, but they need to do better. Bachmann was crazy and all about Gardasil now, Santorum was angry and whiny, Hunstman was reasonable and whiny, Paul was Paul, Johnson was stoned.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #473 on: September 23, 2011, 08:14:34 AM »

I have been pleasantly surprised by both the breadth and depth of revulsion with Perry after his latest stupidity.

What is just about as interesting is that the Perry campaign is acting like a deer caught in the headlights, and has not yet begun to try to salvage the campaign from his arrogant, irresponsibly and obnoxious assertion.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #474 on: September 23, 2011, 08:39:04 AM »

Paul is Paul. His debate performance is exactly how you would expect it go. Same points, same temperament. He has to be the most remarkably consistent debater I've ever seen. You've seen him once you've seen them all.

That's why I see no way Paul ever gets above 15% in the Republican primary. He has his loyal set of fans but will fail at attracting a much wider audience. If you are at all familiar with him you can practically predict his answer to ever question.

It also screams hackishness when people actually vote for Paul for the "who benefited from this debate" or say their opinion of Paul improved after a debate because if you've haven't figured his views out by now, you're not paying attention. Anyone who votes that way is likely just doing so because they are a Paul supporter and not because watching a debate changed their mind.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies