So who won?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:04:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  So who won?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: I got it first!
Bachmann

Cain

Gringrich

Huntsman

Paul

Johnson

Romney

Santorum

Perry

Obama

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: So who won?  (Read 2873 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2011, 09:54:10 PM »

You all saw it comming.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 09:56:04 PM »

I think Romney and Paul performed best.
Perry did much better than last time, but again began to stall halfway through.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:56:52 PM »

Romney and then Hunstman.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 09:57:21 PM »

Paul, easily (especially compared to previous performances). He was hit with several hard questions, which he turned around and handled well. He plugged his electability in the end, and made none of the usual slip ups that he made in other debates.

Cain in second. He did quite well, but he didn't knock it out of the park like Paul.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »

I dont think anyone really won. Everyone had good moments and bad moments. While not great, it was Perry's best performance yet and since he showed improvement he wins.

Huntsman and Johnson had good performances

The rest were mostly steady

Again Bachmann seems to fade intro the background
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 09:58:20 PM »

I really liked Huntsman in this debate.
cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 09:58:56 PM »

Mitt.  Good performance overall, and hit Perry on Social Security about as much as he could have wanted.  I figure that was the most important issue here by far.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 09:59:29 PM »

I thought Huntsman, Santorum and Cain did great all night long.  They've both hit a spark and they might make a run in NH, SC and IA.  

Bachmann and Johnson are dead in the water.  

Perry, Romney, and Paul held their Top 3 ranking and that's all that matters.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 10:00:42 PM »

Eh, I don't know...

Probably Cain or Romney. Cain performed very well and had some spectacular answers, I just don't see him having any sort of realistic chance of winning this, he's more in this to be VP (hence why I believe he said he'd consider Romney for VP if he were to be the nominee). Romney did a good job getting around the flip-flopping question. He came out of tonight perhaps a little bruised, but still didn't take the beating did.

As long as there's an immigration question, I don't think Perry will ever win a debate. On one issue that America is actually pretty conservative on, he's to the left of all the other candidates. You'd think being the Governor of Texas immigration would be one of his strongest issues.

Johnson got some publicity and might actually get invited to another debate, so it was a big win for him in that regard.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 10:02:39 PM »

Looked like a status quo debate.  No one won, no one lost,  I don't think the polls will change significantly outside of Gary Johnson possibly going up another percentage point due to his national presence
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 10:04:22 PM »

Romney did mediocre, in my opinion, but apparently the Fox viewing audience says he won. Heh, Santorum's attack seems to have gotten him badly.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 10:04:48 PM »

Romney had a good performance; Perry was okay, but his attacks flopped way more than normal. Gingrich, Santorum, Huntsman, Johnson all had some good moments. Cain did great. Paul was pretty good. Bachmann divided her time between being in the background and being crazy.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 10:19:13 PM »

Romney. He is in a league of his own. Perry would not stand a chance in a one-on-one debate if it comes to that.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 10:19:57 PM »

Gary Johnson, just because he managed to expose himself.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 10:23:33 PM »

Romney.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 10:30:55 PM »

So, among the announced candidates, only Romney can win the nomination?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 10:42:34 PM »

You got it first, baby.

I think Mitt Romney struck me as the most Presidential, as these things go.

Although, in answer to the age-old question "which one would you rather smoke a joint with?" I guess I'd have to say Gary Johnson. 
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 10:49:21 PM »

Performance wise, Romney.  Paul articulated everything smooth, no hickups what-so-ever.  Perry came back at Romney, but started to crash near the end. Newt, Bachmann and Cain were good, consider them 2nd tier.  Santorum had to throw a hissy fit during most of the debate, I expect him to drop out soon. Johnson made an appearance (thankgod) and Huntsman made some great points.  They need to give him some more time.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 11:04:14 PM »

8 years ago this primary wouldn't be a contest. Not in today's GOP.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 11:05:35 PM »

Although, in answer to the age-old question "which one would you rather smoke a joint with?" I guess I'd have to say Gary Johnson. 

+1

I liked Johnson's performance. It wasn't great, he didn't look Presidential, but he's a character. Could he be this year's Mike Gravel? I miss Mike Gravel. No, Johnson's not that crazy. Anyway, I hope that he gains some recognition and confidence. As long as Huntsman and Santorum are going to be on the stage, Johnson should be there too. I think he succeeded with the closing joke: people will remember him for that. (His awkward nervousness totally disappeared after the laughter disappeared, too - very promising.) He also articulated some strong policy proposals that the audience received well in his first answer.

Huntsman's performance was less interesting (no alt rock references). He didn't do anything attention-grabbing.

Romney was very strong. I think that gradual disenchantment with Perry is just what the base needs to convince them that Romney, while flawed, can be trusted. And he can win.

Perry - yikes! Someone needs a debate coach. Why is he always charging at Romney? He always come out worse for it. He can't think on his feet, and he seems inarticulate and inconsistent. His Pakistan answer was also totally incoherent - the guy obviously knows next to nothing about foreign policy and hasn't bothered to bring himself up to pace on it.

Cain - Continued to be the candidate of snappy one-liners, but lacking in substance. His health care answer struck me as strong (Cain's a great story-teller) even though it wasn't well-grounded in reality.

Bachmann - Made Perry stagger a few times, but we all know that's easy. Not a strong performance. Also: Total WTF answer to the HPV question (about her suggesting that the vaccine causes mental retardation).

Santorum - Like many others on this forum, I don't understand why he can't gain traction with Republican voters. Consistent and articulate defender of Republican principals and policies, and strong on the attack (even if he can get shrill at times).

Gingrich - Obviously thinks he's smarter than everyone else on the stage, but it's also obvious that no one else takes him seriously as a candidate (the others wouldn't be so eager to name him as their preferred VP if they did). Totally convinced that he's in this for attention: a place on the stage, interviews, and public appearances. I guess that there's not a lot for a former Speaker of the House (especially one who resigned in semi-disgrace) to do.

Paul - More articulate, concise, and focused than usual. Relatively strong performance. Avoided going off on tangents about stuff like the fed banning raw milk.

The abbreviated version:

Romney - A
Santorum - B+
Paul - B
Cain - C+
Johnson - C+
Gingrich - C
Bachmann - D
Perry - F
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 11:11:27 PM »

8 years ago this primary wouldn't be a contest. Not in today's GOP.

16 years ago, it was the custom in the GOP to give the oldest dog the bone.  I don't think that custom has changed.  We go through these "debates" and we'll have a convention, but in the end, there are only a handfull of candidates that have paid the dues.  Those have slogged it out in the winters in the early primaries, in more than one campaign.  And among those, there's really only one who might have a chance, however slim, of defeating Obama. 

It may not be a great way to nominate candidates.  And the corporate-controlled two-party system may not be in our best interests, but yes it seems as though this nomination is Romney's to lose.  And tonight he seemed to be holding his own fairly well.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 11:19:30 PM »

Which makes Ron Paul by far the oldest dog in this fight.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 11:48:25 PM »

Grades:

Romney: A+
Huntsman: B
Gingrich: C+
Cain: C
Johnson: C
Santorum: C-
Bachmann: D
Perry: F
Paul: F
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 11:50:42 PM »

Romney and Huntsman
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 11:55:14 PM »

Watching it now. Perry just looks awful in these debates. How he's still leaning most of the polls is just mind boggling to me. Mittens looked good, as did Huntsman.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies