Who will the Republican candidates endorse, if/when they drop out?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:28:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who will the Republican candidates endorse, if/when they drop out?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who will the Republican candidates endorse, if/when they drop out?  (Read 3534 times)
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 04:14:59 PM »

Perry: Romney
Romney: Perry
Paul: Johnson
Bachmann: Perry
Cain: Perry
Gingrich: The nominee
Santorum: Perry
Huntsman: Romney
Johnson: Paul
Roemer: The nominee
McCotter: Romney
Karger: One of the libertarians
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 04:31:15 PM »

Do you think Cain will for sure endorse Perry or do you think there is a reasonable chance he might endorse Romney?

I don't think Cain will go for a Northeast Moderate like Romney...more of a Southern Moderate like Perry.

In what universe is Perry at all 'moderate'?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 05:46:08 PM »

Do you think Cain will for sure endorse Perry or do you think there is a reasonable chance he might endorse Romney?

I think Cain will endorse Romney.  It's one of the few that might mean anything in that it'd be someone with some Tea Party cred endorsing over Romney.  Bachmann or Palin would be bigger but I'd be surprised if they endorsed Romney.  No one will care who Gingrich, Santorum, Hunstman etc. endorse.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 06:44:08 PM »

Romney: Won't endorse till the convention
Perry : Romney
Paul: Johnson or Bachamann
Bachamann: Paul, Cain, or Gingrich
Cain: Paul or Bachamann
Gingrich: Santorum
Santorum: Gingrich or Cain
Huntsman: Paul

The other three are irrelevant
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 04:31:32 PM »

Romney: Perry or Paul (whoever is winning the primaries)
Perry : Won't drop out
Paul: Won't drop out
Bachmann: Romney or Paul
Cain: Paul or Perry
Gingrich: Romney
Huntsman: Paul or Romney
Roemer: ?
McCotter: ?
Karger: ?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 06:23:59 PM »

Romney: Perry or Paul (whoever is winning the primaries)
Perry : Won't drop out
Paul: Won't drop out
Bachmann: Romney or Paul
Cain: Paul or Perry
Gingrich: Romney
Huntsman: Paul or Romney
Roemer: ?
McCotter: ?
Karger: ?

I suspect all, yes all, of the drop outs will support Romney, who isn't going to drop out, because he is going to get the silver, and sooner rather than later. (I listened to a quite pathetic speech by Perry by the way to a crowd at Liberty "University": man he sucks!). Paul of course isn't going to drop out. Perry is not respected by his opponents - none of them. Well I don't know about Johnson. Who could?  Roemer and Karger? LOL.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 06:29:10 PM »

Santorum is more of an establishment type fellow himself. I doubt he'd endorse Perry either. Perry's path to victory is through the tea party and far right wing, not with the establishment or anyone else.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 09:56:33 PM »

Tonight's last question could potentially change a couple answers for some people...

No surprise on Johnson's Paul pick. Gingrich seemed to be a popular choice. I think their choice gives you some indication of who they'd endorse, and Cain mentioning Romney leads me to believe if the race does come down eventually to Romney and Perry, which I think it will, Cain will come into the Romney camp and perhaps vie for the VP slot.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2011, 10:53:36 PM »

Tonight's last question could potentially change a couple answers for some people...

No surprise on Johnson's Paul pick. Gingrich seemed to be a popular choice. I think their choice gives you some indication of who they'd endorse, and Cain mentioning Romney leads me to believe if the race does come down eventually to Romney and Perry, which I think it will, Cain will come into the Romney camp and perhaps vie for the VP slot.

I think after getting the answers tonight there are two drastic scenarios for endorsements. Gingrich vs Romney (vs Perry where no one endorses him really) or Romney vs Perry. Either of these two scenarios will produce drastically different results. Fun
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 11:27:31 PM »

Post-Debate Edition

Romney - the winner
Perry - "the strongest"

Paul - Suspends campaign when the winner locks the nomination; third-party run possible
Bachmann - Not Romney
Cain - Mitt Romney
Gingrich - Mitt Romney
Santorum - Mitt Romney
Huntsman - Mitt Romney
Johnson - Ron Paul
Roemer - Harold Stassen

McCotter - Mitt Romney
Pawlenty - Mitt Romney
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 11:33:08 PM »

[emphasis added]

The mentions are probably more useful than the actual picks. I think that Gingrich was such a common pick because the other candidates don't take his candidacy seriously and aren't worried about their supporters switching to the Gingrich camp.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 08:24:55 AM »

Paul has ruled out a 3rd party run a million times over.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2011, 01:21:43 PM »

As a candidate for the Republican nomination who is acting like he actually thinks that he could win, that wouldn't be something for him to advertise. I only think it's possible because he's not running for re-election in his Congressional district. If things get heated between him and the eventual nominee, I don't understand why he wouldn't seriously consider it.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2011, 01:18:58 PM »

As a candidate for the Republican nomination who is acting like he actually thinks that he could win, that wouldn't be something for him to advertise. I only think it's possible because he's not running for re-election in his Congressional district. If things get heated between him and the eventual nominee, I don't understand why he wouldn't seriously consider it.

States have sore loser laws. Also, Paul isn't going to lie. He is very straight forward.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2011, 02:03:02 PM »

States have sore loser laws. Also, Paul isn't going to lie. He is very straight forward.

The most that I've heard him say is that he's "effectively" ruled it out because of the difficulties involved in getting ballot access - that sort of sounds definite, but it's not so definite that it would look like a lie in retrospect if he were to run. Besides, if we're taking Paul at face value, his position is that he's focused on winning the Republican nomination and not even thinking about what happens afterward - so it's easy to imagine that if Paul runs in the general, it's not something he's seriously thinking about yet.

Besides, most sore loser laws don't apply to Presidential candidates, and even in the four states in which they do, it's not clear that they couldn't be challenged in court. Jon Anderson managed ballot access in every state in '80, right? More recently, had Gravel been nominated by the Libertarians, he'd have done it too.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies