Our prayers might be answered: Christie to decide on 2012 bid.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:20:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Our prayers might be answered: Christie to decide on 2012 bid.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9
Author Topic: Our prayers might be answered: Christie to decide on 2012 bid.  (Read 18812 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2011, 10:12:19 AM »
« edited: September 30, 2011, 10:44:44 AM by jmfcst »

I wouldn't mind Christie...but right now I want Cain to be given a spin.  If Cain flames out, which is probable, then I'll turn to Christie.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #151 on: September 30, 2011, 10:43:08 AM »

Well, he should lose some weight to look presidential.

How dare you speak ill of The Messiah.

But he looks like Tony Soprano.

Looks like Peeperkorn just gave you a reason to support him, "Dale."

He reminds me more of Rex Ryan, therefore he is my sworn enemy.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #152 on: September 30, 2011, 11:20:57 AM »

George Pataki is very publicly pining for Christie, according to PolitickerNY:

“America is in a crisis, and none of the current candidates or the President has leveled with American public about what needs to be done to rescue our future,” Pataki said in a statement. “This country needs a straight shooter and a proven leader. I urge Governor Chris Christie to run for President to fill the void and lead America forward.”
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #153 on: September 30, 2011, 11:59:59 AM »

“America is in a crisis, and none of the current candidates or the President has leveled with American public about what needs to be done to rescue our future,” Pataki said in a statement. “This country needs a straight shooter and a proven leader. I urge Governor Chris Christie to run for President to fill the void and lead America forward.”

The Pataki machine will obviously carry Christie (HAHA HE'S FAT, REMEMBER?) to victory.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #154 on: September 30, 2011, 12:03:53 PM »

The Pataki machine will obviously carry Christie (HAHA HE'S FAT, REMEMBER?) to victory.

Fat and Furious.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #155 on: September 30, 2011, 05:16:04 PM »

According to sources close to Gov. Christie, he is still not completely closed to the idea of running for President despite his announcement earlier in the week that he was.

Here is the link,

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/09/chris_christie_seriously_consi.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »

I'll believe it when I see it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2011, 01:12:19 AM »

Because of the continued uncertainty on the NH primary date, NH has moved up its ballot filing deadline to Oct. 28:

http://www.sos.nh.gov/

So that's the new deadline for those still undecided about whether they're going to run, like Christie, Giuliani, and Palin.

(unless they don't want to be on the ballot in NH)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2011, 01:18:47 AM »

Because of the continued uncertainty on the NH primary date, NH has moved up its ballot filing deadline to Oct. 28:

http://www.sos.nh.gov/

So that's the new deadline for those still undecided about whether they're going to run, like Christie, Giuliani, and Palin.

(unless they don't want to be on the ballot in NH)

Well, the FL filing deadline is just 2 days later and SC is 4 days later.

By then we'll know who runs and who won't.

Still, I could see Sarah Palin giving an interview in December saying: Hey, I've decided to run now !

News anchor: But the filing deadlines are over for NH, FL, SC ? How are you going to win ?

Palin: What ? I didn't know I had to file for the primaries ! My aides didn't tell me ! Well, I'll probably go moose hunting in Alaska then. That's what I´m really good in.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #159 on: October 01, 2011, 01:25:23 AM »

Still, I could see Sarah Palin giving an interview in December saying: Hey, I've decided to run now !

News anchor: But the filing deadlines are over for NH, FL, SC ? How are you going to win ?

Palin: What ? I didn't know I had to file for the primaries ! My aides didn't tell me ! Well, I'll probably go moose hunting in Alaska then. That's what I´m really good in.

Palin should wage a write-in campaign like her nemesis, Lisa Murkowski.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #160 on: October 01, 2011, 01:36:13 AM »

Giuliani won't decide until the Florida primary.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #161 on: October 01, 2011, 02:01:44 AM »

Honestly, given the way the primary system is set up, a candidate could theoretically not even run in a small handful of early primaries and still win. It's all about perception.
Wonkish1

« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2011, 02:09:26 AM »

Actually Mr. Moderate you're quite right. Our primary system is very momentum based. Big news drives the next primary battle.

If someone entered after New Hampshire for example, its conceivable that would eclipse the news of the winner of New Hampshire.

Similar to how Perry's entrance on the same day as the Ames Straw poll eclipsed the winner of the straw poll.

Now I'm just bouncing this around my head, I do realize there could be at least 100 holes in this theory.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #163 on: October 02, 2011, 01:12:27 AM »

The businessman looking to draft Christie was about to endorse someone else until he was asked to hold off until Wednesday.

Also interesting:

“Christie’s a different type of Republican,” said Scott Reed, who managed Robert Dole’s 1996 campaign and is uncommitted in the current race. “He has the ability to transcend the traditional ideological battles for a nomination because of the unique way that he came on the scene — as a tough-talking guy in some really tough times.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/64890.html
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #164 on: October 02, 2011, 01:20:29 AM »

Surprised no one's put this up yet.  Sounds like he is thinking about it pretty seriously.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/02/us/politics/christie-team-assessing-how-fast-a-2012-campaign-could-be-mounted.html

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #165 on: October 02, 2011, 11:38:20 AM »

Interesting.  Until now, I was willing to stick by prediction that no, Christie would not run.  But now that "important people" are predicting the economy will slide back into a recession, I can see him getting in; if another Republican beats Obama due the economy, Christie's chance may never come again.  The problem, as that article says, is organization.  They have just a month to meet a number of filing deadlines.  Fundraising shouldn't be a problem, considering the kind of people pushing him to run, but he has a very little amount of time to prepare for the debates; there are two in October, one in November, and two in December, all before Iowa.  I don't think Christie will fall as flat on his face as Perry did, but this kind of late start can leave someone off balance and unprepared.  If he comes off that way to the electorate, Christie will go the way of Perry.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2011, 12:44:34 PM »

Even if he runs, as soon as he's outed as being by far the most liberal candidate, he'll fall apart faster than Perry did.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2011, 01:41:10 PM »

Even if he runs, as soon as he's outed as being by far the most liberal candidate, he'll fall apart faster than Perry did.

Simply being from New Jersey does not make Christie "by far the most liberal candidate." He's been a more consistently conservative governor than Romney.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #168 on: October 02, 2011, 02:22:22 PM »

"By far the most liberal candidate." Excessive stupidity on the poster. Ten yard penalty.

I'm not saying that Christie won't catch hell from some for his "moderate" or "liberal" (or as us sane people would say mainstream conservative) positions on climate change and civil unions, for example, but conservatives love his style and he is certainly more of a conservative than a moderate. And he won't be like Huntsman who is actually running to the left.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2011, 02:27:54 PM »

Of course Christie is conservative, no doubts about that. Yet, Tea Party crowd already have it's favorites and I can't see much room for him in this race.

For Christie, the best thing is to sit out 2012 and pray, there won't be a Republican incumbent up for reelection in 2016. If so, he'd fit just right.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2011, 02:34:44 PM »

"By far the most liberal candidate." Excessive stupidity on the poster. Ten yard penalty.

I'm not saying that Christie won't catch hell from some for his "moderate" or "liberal" (or as us sane people would say mainstream conservative) positions on climate change and civil unions, for example, but conservatives love his style and he is certainly more of a conservative than a moderate. And he won't be like Huntsman who is actually running to the left.

Two words: gun rights
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2011, 02:45:34 PM »

Holy dejavu!

It's Fred Thompson, The Sequel!
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #172 on: October 02, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2011, 03:39:20 PM by realisticidealist »

Um, the following could easily paint him as an anathema to conservatives:

1. He supports banning assault weapons and is against concealed carry
2. He has stated that "being in this country without proper documentation is not a crime" and believes in a path to citizenship (*cough*amnesty*cough*)
3. He, like Huntsman, expilictly believes in antropogenic global warming
4. He supports civil unions
5. He supported the "ground zero mosque"
6. He has actively called out anyone who thinks Sharia Law is an issue in the US, along with the Tea Party in general
7. He declined to challenge health care reform in court
8. He is pro-choice for the first trimester
9. He actively supports "Obama's" Race to the Top (whether that is objectively liberal or not is irrelevant)
10. He has run ads tying him to Obama's message

A couple of these are more than enough to take Christie down by themselves, or at least any chance that he has of being an 'anti-Romney'.

Ok, by most liberal I mostly meant of the serious candidates. Obviously you could call the libertarians more liberal if you really want (if you take a simplistic view of the political spectrum like the media tends to do), and maybe Huntsman, but he's irrelevant until further notice.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #173 on: October 02, 2011, 03:58:37 PM »

I hope he decides either way next week before he enters Sarah Palin territory. I'd support him after Mittens, but I'd obviously prefer Mitt to Christie.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2011, 04:00:53 PM »

Of course Christie is conservative, no doubts about that. Yet, Tea Party crowd already have it's favorites and I can't see much room for him in this race.

For Christie, the best thing is to sit out 2012 and pray, there won't be a Republican incumbent up for reelection in 2016. If so, he'd fit just right.

Joyfully, there will be an incumbent GOP president up in 2016. Double joyfully it won't be a moderate like Christie or Mittens.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies