Our prayers might be answered: Christie to decide on 2012 bid.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:53:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Our prayers might be answered: Christie to decide on 2012 bid.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Our prayers might be answered: Christie to decide on 2012 bid.  (Read 18775 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2011, 11:17:31 PM »

For crying out loud, your prayers have been answered for years.

I do not understand why the right doesn't want Mitt Romney as its standard bearer. He can beat Obama in the general, and will fight for most of what they stand for once elected. Yet the base keeps looking around frantically for someone else - Paul Ryan, Chris Christie, Rick Perry, etc. What seems to be the problem? Is it because he is a Mormon? Stop being bigots. Is it because of "Obamneycare"? Stop being so dogmatic. Is it because he is a blue state Republican? Stop being so Southern. For goodness sake!

What is Chris Christie really going to add to this race? He's going to split the moderate vote even further, which means Romney stands to lose by his entry. Plus he is way overrated and isn't even that popular in his home state.

Romney has the most potential to hand 2012 to Republicans on a silver platter. Whats that they say about a gift horse's mouth?

You're absolutely right, but it's also because of the media's influence too. It's almost nightly that some broadcast talks about the "flaws" of the Republicans running. Romney for the most part keeps on being painted as disliked by the talking heads, and as a result GOPers keep looking for someone else to run. Most of it is probably just an attempt by certain Republicans to make the primary at least somewhat competitive so that Republicans will be more motivated to show up in 2012 to support Romney against Obama.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2011, 11:17:35 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2011, 11:19:08 PM by bryan »

The problem with Romney is that he is a status quo type of guy...he's not going to be real change....I would trust Christie a lot more than I would Romney.  NJ>>MA

How is Romney status quo? He will be a Republican taking over from a Democrat, which suggests that he will hold different views than Obama does on the government's role in a free market economy. Romney is likely to change economic policy quite a bit. Not to mention he will shape the trajectory of Obama's health reforms, or kill them entirely.

And you can't compare records that simply. Christie is shaking things up in Jersey, sure, but did Romney really need to do that in MA?  As governor, Romney faced a 2000s Massachusetts which had vastly problems than a 2010s New Jersey.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2011, 11:20:35 PM »

I find Christie's abrasiveness off-putting, but I guess we're supposed to be choosing presidential candidates not guests for a dinner party.

I will seriously consider supporting him if he does decide to jump into the race, which is much more than I can say about Perry, whom I was already against before he ever entered.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2011, 11:33:23 PM »

The problem with Romney is that he is a status quo type of guy...he's not going to be real change....I would trust Christie a lot more than I would Romney.  NJ>>MA

How is Romney status quo? He will be a Republican taking over from a Democrat, which suggests that he will hold different views than Obama does on the government's role in a free market economy. Romney is likely to change economic policy quite a bit. Not to mention he will shape the trajectory of Obama's health reforms, or kill them entirely.

And you can't compare records that simply. Christie is shaking things up in Jersey, sure, but did Romney really need to do that in MA?  As governor, Romney faced a 2000s Massachusetts which had vastly problems than a 2010s New Jersey.

He doesn't have a single view that he isn't willing to sell out the instant it becomes unpopular. He has no real beliefs, no principles, and would change exactly nothing after beating Obama except pulling the rug out from under anti-spending Republicans.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2011, 11:35:47 PM »

"Anti-spending Republicans" will be an oxymoron the instant they are given the keys to the White House. They didn't become "anti-spending" until they were kicked out of power completely in 2008, and its been a wonderful marriage of convenience.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2011, 11:39:46 PM »

"Anti-spending Republicans" will be an oxymoron the instant they are given the keys to the White House. They didn't become "anti-spending" until they were kicked out of power completely in 2008, and its been a wonderful marriage of convenience.

If the GOP take the White House and Congress I wonder how many times a year they will raise the debt limit.  I'm sure they'll still blame it on the liberals though
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2011, 12:09:09 AM »

That sounds like a weighty decision.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2011, 12:12:53 AM »

Nobody hoping to run a serious campaign will get in this late. The field is what it is.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2011, 02:51:59 AM »

Nobody hoping to run a serious campaign will get in this late. The field is what it is.

Even if it gets too late to be potentially nominated getting on stage and nationally known could make the vetting process of a VP candidate somewhat easier. 
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2011, 08:51:59 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2011, 08:54:10 AM by A Roemerista »

I don't dislike Romney because he is Mormon, that may be one of his few redeeming qualities.

No I dislike him because I saw him run for President the day he got elected here, I saw him run for Senate as a different person, and I saw him destroy the Mass GOP. If you want a Mass gov who was any good, why not William Weld?

As to Christie, I could see him take more votes from the crowd that was for Bachmann now Perry--they are looking for a "tough talking" fighter, who will take the screws to the President. That is not Romney's image, but that is certainly Christie's.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2011, 08:58:17 AM »

Christie is basically a more economically-orientated version of Rudy Giuliani.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2011, 09:10:09 AM »

Yeah, that one was really me and I'm proud of that.

I'll give Blubb credit for the "He's running, folks" line.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2011, 09:47:44 AM »

And we all know how Rudy Giuliani dominated the race in 2008
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2011, 10:40:08 AM »

No way. I'm sure that the expectations for Christie are overblown, but Giuliani's status as a national hero running for President is unique in contemporary politics. Giuliani's stature was like that of a general returning from war - an Eisenhower, a William Henry Harrison, a Zachary Taylor. There is no other politician in either party who could do so well despite being so out of line with the base on basic, important issues.

(The comparison isn't a total bust, don't mistake me, but Giuliani's candidacy is really different from anything that we've seen.)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2011, 10:55:35 AM »

Who's the hot girl in bryan's sig? Is she Afghan?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2011, 12:24:33 PM »

Pakistani foreign minister.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2011, 01:38:57 PM »

If Christie runs, he's got my endorsement.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2011, 04:02:06 PM »

Don't voters want candidates with which they can identify? I think this alone would make Christie a front runner Wink
If Christie got in he would almost guarantee Perry's nomination as Christie would take more votes from Romney and could even win NH.
That's what I thought, but then again this poll seems to show a different opinion. Of course that's not a very accurate poll and it's possible that these respondents are mostly of the "anyone but Romney" type and would switch to any strong candidate who fits the description.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2011, 05:04:12 PM »

Romney didn't shake things up in Massachusetts because he couldn't -- Democrats had veto-proof majorities of both houses during his tenure, and thus, the ability to legislate without him. And they did. Romneycare, as it's so lovingly put, was Romney working out the best deal he could with the hand he was dealt -- Democrats in the legislature wanted so much more, but they couldn't get the 66 2/3 to agree.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2011, 09:12:04 PM »

Damn, that's impressive and stereotype breaking for a position like that. That instantly makes you think some wrinkly balding guy.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2011, 12:21:34 AM »

-coughfredthompsoncough-
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2011, 12:24:42 AM »

Damn, that's impressive and stereotype breaking for a position like that. That instantly makes you think some wrinkly balding guy.

She was born in 1977, which is extremely young for a FM.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2011, 02:18:03 AM »

I don't dislike Romney because he is Mormon, that may be one of his few redeeming qualities.

No I dislike him because I saw him run for President the day he got elected here, I saw him run for Senate as a different person, and I saw him destroy the Mass GOP. If you want a Mass gov who was any good, why not William Weld?

As to Christie, I could see him take more votes from the crowd that was for Bachmann now Perry--they are looking for a "tough talking" fighter, who will take the screws to the President. That is not Romney's image, but that is certainly Christie's.

What damage did Mitt do to the MA GOP, that wasn't already inflicted when he got there? The early 1990's improvements were wiped out in 1996 thanks to Bill Clinton. It's also hard to blame him for Healey's flaws and poor campaign and Bush's unpopularity in the state in 2006.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2011, 02:20:57 AM »

"I am just not arrogant enough to claim that 8 years as US Atty, and 2 years as Governor is enough to qualify me to be President of the US"

-Chris Christie on Face the Nation a month or two ago.

How the hell does he walk that back?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2011, 06:33:10 AM »

"I am just not arrogant enough to claim that 8 years as US Atty, and 2 years as Governor is enough to qualify me to be President of the US"

-Chris Christie on Face the Nation a month or two ago.

How the hell does he walk that back?

Saying he's still more qualified than Mitt Romney, who was governor for 4 years... In 2012 this will be the situation:

Christie: almost 3 years as governor + 8 as atty.
Romney: Governor for 4 years.

I think Christie is more qualified.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies