Regarding the current secession movement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:30:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regarding the current secession movement
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Regarding the current secession movement  (Read 4409 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 11:04:35 AM »

You are wise to be against ostriches, Mr. Mom.  They're like a mean cat.  If they're mad they don't just hiss and scratch.  They chase you.  And then bite you.  F**king ostriches.

Oops, that wasn't the image I thought I was posting. I had another "funsucker" one. Whoops Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 11:11:52 AM »

Reports were sketchy; several people were claiming Alabama had seceded, and I erred on the side of caution with Marokai Blue's endorsement of the revolters as canon. I did not think Kal actually was a part of it, of course.

I think I had the proper degree of seriousness. I mean, it's worth pointing out that this is an action that can literally ban you from the game for life. Sure, maybe you won't get the maximum punishment, but you're still playing with some pretty hot fire. Besides, this is a game and my character was the Acting President- I think I handled this much more leniently than anyone in the real world would have.

I also think it's kind of silly to say I'm being too serious when one of my responses was the words "swift ninja-dodge" that included a hyperlink to a Youtube video of Dubya Bush dodging a shoe. Just sayin. Grin
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 11:17:36 AM »

Well, I certainly did not intend nor proposed a secession Tongue I can't speak for my colleagues in other states, of course.

Next time you people should read carefully, before bombing the Acting President with apocalyptic reports.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 11:54:28 AM »

The Reublic of Florida is willing to negotiate, if the deadline is extended. We wish reform as well, but the States deserve their voices!!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 12:09:11 PM »

This has happened before. I was part of the southern succession. Now that I have sobered up, I want to point out that there is no constitutional basis for this little stunt. It has been done before and will likely be done again, but there's no reason to freak out over it. All is well in Atlasia. Carry on.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 12:12:16 PM »

Indeed, were babies throwing our small bowl of cheerios on the floor for attention. And we keep throwing cheerios until our demands our met Smiley
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »

I do hope that the SoFE will take note of what persons will be ineligible to vote in next weekend's election, having renounced Atlasian citizenship.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 02:45:09 PM »

As the sole citizen and elected official from Kentucky, I can assure you all that the people of my great state do not intend to secede from the Mideast region and, subsequently, from Atlasia. Kentucky is prepared to deal with potential aggression by the states which declared their full indepence from the Republic of Atlasia. Wink
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 03:42:37 PM »

Yeah, these secession movements are hardly serious, but rather just a symptom of how utterly milquetoast Atlasia is these days. If anyone is actually punished over joke secession, that would be good cause to leave this place anyway.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »

Yeah, these secession movements are hardly serious, but rather just a symptom of how utterly milquetoast Atlasia is these days. If anyone is actually punished over joke secession, that would be good cause to leave this place anyway.

Yes. It's not like anyone gets hurt by this.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2011, 05:34:31 PM »

And, yes, taking away anyone's citizenship/voting rights because of this is not only dumb. It's awful.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2011, 05:35:05 PM »

Technically, it's the RG's decision Tongue And even then, he'd likely need to consult with the courts, which takes time, etc.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »

Technically, it's the RG's decision Tongue And even then, he'd likely need to consult with the courts, which takes time, etc.

How do you figure?  The SoFE decides whose votes are valid and whose are not.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2011, 05:47:12 PM »

How do you figure?  The SoFE decides whose votes are valid and whose are not.
That is true, but they'd need to do something illegal.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2011, 05:59:09 PM »

A lot of it will depend on how the GM decides this plays out. When I was 14 I declared independence from Canada, but none of you would know that, because I was some silly idiot doing some silly little thing. ATM this is how I interpret many of these movements, including the one that the guy is doing despite, like, not living there... I cant even figure out what he's declared independent.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2011, 06:24:23 PM »

For the record, let it be known that these three Atlasians have dropped the rebellion:

I am in negotiations, and it is likely that Florida will rejoin the Union, if a Constitutional Amendment is at least attempted.

So as of now, I have a announcement.

I publicly apologize to the people of Atlasia, and Florida, announce that I an affirming my Atlasian Citizenship. My goal was to bring attention to reform, and it worked. I urge my other secessionist allies to do the same, that they too let their demands be known, so that reform may come. Dave Bless Atlasia.

I renounce my Florida Citizenship, effective at 5:00 PM EST Time today, and am now issuing my first and last executive order as President of Florida---I am dissolving the nation, effective at 4:59 PM EST. For a minute today, I will be a man without a country Wink

I officially reaffirm my citizenship to Atlasia, so help me Dave.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2011, 07:45:42 PM »

I do hope that the SoFE will take note of what persons will be ineligible to vote in next weekend's election, having renounced Atlasian citizenship.

Did you know?

Such tough guy statements would be effective if Mechaman gave a damn?

Because, *shocker* oh sh*t he doesn't.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »

Great job, tough guys. We just lost one of the coolest Atlasians ever Roll Eyes
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »

Did you know?

Mecha, I don't think Fritz's statement was intended to be personal at all. You quite obviously have to be a citizen to vote, no? Smiley
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2011, 07:52:05 PM »

Did you know?

Mecha, I don't think Fritz's statement was intended to be personal at all. You quite obviously have to be a citizen to vote, no? Smiley

And I am just affirming that I am not afraid of losing the right to vote to make a political statement.
So yes, this isn't personal.  IT'S POLITICAL.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2011, 10:58:28 PM »

Did you know?

And I am just affirming that I am not afraid of losing the right to vote to make a political statement.
So yes, this isn't personal.  IT'S POLITICAL.

Are you kidding me?  People renounce their citizenship by joining a secessionist movement and then get all butthurt because they cannot participate in Atlasian elections?  Seriously?

Get over it.  If you join a secessionist movement, you lost your right to vote and hold office in Atlasia.  That is the choice you made/make when you renounce your citizenship.  If you don't like that, then don't join the secessionist movement and become a traitor to Atlasia.

Those that have been given the chance to return to Atlasia but refuse to should be considered traitors and if caught, tried and convicted for their high crime against the nation of Atlasia.

I'd highly recommend other avenues for trying to make the game more interesting:  Like ones that don't disqualify your ability to participate in the game for significant periods of time.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2011, 01:07:25 AM »

Quitting the game has been illegal for some time. If it was as simple as saying you are suddenly part of a new country, then everyone who wants to quit would do this. The only way that it could apply is if they truly started an insurrection towards the government, and that's up to the GM, and the SoIA.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2011, 02:08:17 AM »

Is there a law preventing them from holding their own elections while not interfering in Atlasian elections, because if there isn't I don't see how they can really be prevented.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2011, 03:50:07 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2011, 08:41:34 AM by Krist Novoselic, Certified God of Badasses »

Did you know?

So yes, this isn't personal.  IT'S POLITICAL.

Are you kidding me?  People renounce their citizenship by joining a secessionist movement and then get all butthurt because they cannot participate in Atlasian elections?  Seriously?

Get over it.  If you join a secessionist movement, you lost your right to vote and hold office in Atlasia.  That is the choice you made/make when you renounce your citizenship.  If you don't like that, then don't join the secessionist movement and become a traitor to Atlasia.

Those that have been given the chance to return to Atlasia but refuse to should be considered traitors and if caught, tried and convicted for their high crime against the nation of Atlasia.

I'd highly recommend other avenues for trying to make the game more interesting:  Like ones that don't disqualify your ability to participate in the game for significant periods of time.

If you and others are going to act all uber serious about the act of secession (which by the way I wasn't doing, unless you consider Atlasian citizens the equivalent of political parties or state/local governments) to the point of extreme paranoia and authoritarian behavior then being barred from this game for significant lengths of time isn't something I would mourn.
It should be noted that I have moved to Manitoba, not Georgia.  Therefore I haven't joined a "secessionist movement".  Unless you are one of those mad imperialists who believes that Canada has always belonged to us and that it's national government is illegal or something like that.
I mean really Snowguy, what are you going to do?  Come to my RL apartment and shoot me?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2011, 03:58:28 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2011, 06:58:56 AM by Krist Novoselic, Certified God of Badasses »

Quitting the game has been illegal for some time. If it was as simple as saying you are suddenly part of a new country, then everyone who wants to quit would do this. The only way that it could apply is if they truly started an insurrection towards the government, and that's up to the GM, and the SoIA.

So let me get this straight:

Leaving the country is supposedly illegal (according to the logic of your second sentence) but I can't get thrown out of the game for it?  Especially if we apply Snowguy's definition here?
So if we assume that treason is a crime that carries with it the highest of penalties (which I'm assuming is either a life sentence or a really long time in prison, since execution would be the equivalent of quitting the game) pretty much what you're saying is that Atlasians who go through with "seceding" are barred from voting and holding office?
I guess what I'm really trying to ask here Teddy is what's so different between those who decide to commit treasonous acts in this simulation and those whose registration has expired (and never return)?

Meh, should've voted for JJ.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies