Gore wins in 2000
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:34:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Gore wins in 2000
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gore wins in 2000  (Read 6703 times)
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2011, 08:17:35 AM »

What happens to the Republican party? Is George Bush blamed for losing because he was too moderate, running as a "Compassionate Conservative? Or is he consider too right wing and the moderates in the party take over?
Jacobtm

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 03:43:40 AM »

Universal Healthcare, Green Energy, Peace, Surplus
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 07:24:34 PM »

QFT
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 06:04:58 AM »

With a Republican Congress?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 12:13:55 PM »

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1451/saturday-night-live-parallel-universe
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 01:04:50 PM »

Seriously?

The Republican majority in the House would've stymied Gore at every point, blamed "Clinton-Gore" for the 2001-2002 recession and 9-11, and swept to power even stronger than IRL in 2002 and 2004.  I don't see all that much different (outside of a lack of invasion of Iraq...Afghanistan would've still happened).
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 08:20:09 AM »

The Terrorists win.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 12:40:55 PM »

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »

Gore could not have accomplished much, he would have been attacked at every turn because he was no Clinton. The 9/11 attacks might not would have happened, but who knows? The Hussein regime would have continued, the economy would have slumped and Gore would have spent the surplus on trying to jump start the economy, but failing miserably. The Republicans would have mass gains in 2002, and Gore would have lost re-election in 2004 to possibly John McCain.
CelticHoosier1993
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »

I think the GOP would become more moderate, and possibly have McCain run against Gore in the 2004 election.
Indy Prez
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »

Anthony Kennedy provides the swing vote in Bush v Gore and manbearpig wins Florida by something like a dozen votes.
 He signs the Kyoto Protocol, spends the surplus on a new energy stimulus program (wind, solar, etc) out west as well as bullet train initiatives. He presides over very evenly-balanced Congresses and a term over which the Republican Party (after it's neoconservative wing's highly controversial Iraq war resolution fails). 9/11 is an oppotunity for him to unite the country and get everybody into public service (PeaceCorps).
 Notable cabinet appointees are John McCain as Defense Secretary and Ralph Nader as Energy Secretary
 Liberals love him, conservatives hate him (sound familiar?). However, the economy only slowly recovers from the dotcombust and he is genuinely perceived as a holier-than-thou snob by the people (sound unfamiliar?).
 The Republicans return to their libertarian roots and in 2004 pick popular Governor Jeb Bush and Maine Senator Olympia Snowe to go against him. Social issues like abortion become irrelevant to both major parties and Buchananites are a common feature of General Elections from then on. Illinois remains a battleground state as do Connecticut, Delaware.
 He drops Lieberman from the ticket in favour of Senator Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas.

u do the map

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 03:52:55 PM »

I think the GOP would become more moderate, and possibly have McCain run against Gore in the 2004 election.

I don't think so, but my dream scenario would be the GOP sweeping in 02, 04, and 06, topping it all off with Liddy Dole / Rudy Giuliani in 08 or even 04.  I think the GOP would take a middle-of-the-road, "no continuity" approach, I.e. no old farts who have run 4 times before and lost all 4, no family of past presidents, etc.  As anti-establishment as possible.  Which leads us to a potential George Allen victory, provided he keeps the "makacas" to a minimum.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 05:38:56 PM »

I don't think we would have avoided 9/11.  Gore probably wouldn't have responded the way the Republican administration did, and with less money devoted to war expenditures, the economy wouldn't be as bad as it was in 2008 (but it would still be bad in 2004 due to 9/11).
The 2004 election against McCain would have been very close.
On one hand, Gore would have been sympathetic to the public due to being a leader through tough times, on the other hand, many would accuse him of not taking enough action against the terrorists.  People would probably also be tired of having a democratic administration for 12 years.

Depending on what happened in '04, America would be a completely different country now.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 01:07:20 AM »

He probably wouldn't have gotten the popularity boost from 9/11 that Bush did.  I mean, I can't see him hugging the firefighters and not seeming awkward.  The Republican would start making a fuss about Iraq having WMD's, and then McCain would probably win.  Then, I guess we'd get the Iraq war in 2005 or so, but he wouldn't have supported the tax cuts for the wealthy.  Lieberman, as the former VP, would be the clear frontrunner for the nomination in 2008 at this point, so his support for the Iraq war would seriously boost its popularity, though Gore and probably Hilary Clinton would oppose it due to the information they'd gotten.  So by 2008, the war would be unpopular and the Dems would nominate Hilary for President (the anti-establishment/change feeling wouldn't be as much as in RL, so Obama wouldn't get it), and she'd probably pick someone like Feingold or another leftie to balance out her "establishment" feel.  And the financial crisis wouldn't come quite as bad without the Bush tax cuts, but it'd still be severe, and Hilary would probably beat McCain. 
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 09:41:59 PM »

He would probably suffer the infamous Van Buren/Taft/HW Bush curse, if you get my drift.

To any wiseguy who might comment, yes I know Taft wasn't TR's Vice President.  I'm referring mostly to candidates who are perceived as sort of handpicked successors.
rwoy
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 09:00:48 AM »

No matter what he ends up as a 1-term President.

If the economy goes as it did in reality he and the "lock box" get blamed.  If the economy is better he still gets blamed it is claimed that the economy would have been great no matter what.  If 9/11 still happens Gore & Clinton take all the blame.  If 9/11 doesn't happen Republicans argue that Gore "wastes time" on terrorism (much as they argued when Clinton was President).

2004 is a Gore/Bush rematch and Bush wins.

Major changes include:

*Obama is not a national figure as he never delivers the key note at the 2004 DNC
*Palin is marginalized
*Cheney isn't VP
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 04:47:52 PM »

No matter what he ends up as a 1-term President.

If the economy goes as it did in reality he and the "lock box" get blamed.  If the economy is better he still gets blamed it is claimed that the economy would have been great no matter what.  If 9/11 still happens Gore & Clinton take all the blame.  If 9/11 doesn't happen Republicans argue that Gore "wastes time" on terrorism (much as they argued when Clinton was President).

2004 is a Gore/Bush rematch and Bush wins.

Major changes include:

*Obama is not a national figure as he never delivers the key note at the 2004 DNC
*Palin is marginalized
*Cheney isn't VP

I don't think Bush would have run again in '04 if Gore had won in '00.  '04 would have been McCain's turn.  Obama would have still become a national figure being the only african-american senator.  The only problem I see with this scenario is whether McCain would have run against his buddy Lieberman.
If Gore for example goes to war due to pressure from Joe, it's possible he would make McCain his Secretary of State or Secretary of Defense.
In that case McCain doesn't run, and the Republicans are left with a very weak bunch of candidates.  Maybe Giuliani would run, but a war mayor would obviously lose to a war president, especially if the Republicans were still fighting their culture wars which would seem so irrelevant in the middle of a war.
Obama could still run in 2008 as the anti-war anti-establishment, but an equally anti-war, anti-establishment Republican such as Ron Paul or Chuck Hagel could rise as the anti-Gore (who would be seen as the war president much like Bush was).  In that case the Republicans would have the advantage in 2008.  Obama would have a really hard time winning the primary against Kerry or Hilary.

So my guess is that the war still happens.  John McCain becomes Gore's Secretary of Defense and doesn't run in '04.

In '04 Gore runs against some no-name Republican and wins a landslide election (he wouldn't have to hug the firefighters, he would just pat them on the shoulders which is more manly anyway).  He tries to distance himself from the war during his second term and focus more on environmental and technology issues as he sees the war becoming more and more unpopular, but Lieberman, McCain and the media insist on staying in the Middle East.

In '08 Kerry wins the Democratic nomination.  He also tries to distance himself from the war but he refuses to criticize Gore.  The Republicans in Congress are very much anti-war simply because they want to stick it to Gore and they nominate an anti-war candidate such as Chuck Hagel.  People feel they need a change and vote for Hagel.

In 2012 I think Hagel would have either not run or lost to Obama because lets face it, tax cuts for the rich (which is what the Republicans would have pushed for) don't stimulate the economy.  Obama would have become even more popular after being in the Senate for 8 years and would have become the de facto leader of the Democratic party.

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 01:17:09 AM »

If Gore was president during 9/11, he immediately would have had 90% approval ratings, with Republicans falling over themselves to authorize whatever more-limited version of war Gore would have wanted. It's the "Rally Around the Flag" effect. When America is attacked, the President becomes bulletproof.

I'd presume Gore would have been re-elected, and with a larger margin than Bush was.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 01:50:37 AM »

If McCain didn't run, the GOP nominee would probably be George Allen, so think about what he'd say during the campaign. Hell maybe even Rick Santorum.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 11:56:48 AM »

If Gore was president during 9/11, he immediately would have had 90% approval ratings, with Republicans falling over themselves to authorize whatever more-limited version of war Gore would have wanted. It's the "Rally Around the Flag" effect. When America is attacked, the President becomes bulletproof.

I'd presume Gore would have been re-elected, and with a larger margin than Bush was.

I don't agree, I think a GOP would have been much tougher on Gore (and his (D) predecessor) for failing to prevent 9/11, failing to be tough enough in the aftermath, etc.  which in large part would have limited the media cheerleading we saw IRL under Bush.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »

If McCain didn't run, the GOP nominee would probably be George Allen, so think about what he'd say during the campaign. Hell maybe even Rick Santorum.

Giuliani.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2012, 07:03:08 PM »

You should be thankful he lost.  George W. Bush did more for the Democratic brand than Al Gore ever could.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »

Impeached on 9/12.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 07:43:35 PM »

You should be thankful he lost.  George W. Bush did more for the Democratic brand than Al Gore ever could.

Really not sure it's worth it.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2012, 09:00:32 PM by Governor Scott »

Well, it's certainly possible (though not at all likely) the Democrats could have gained seats in 2002 if Gore were to have benefited from the "stand with your president" mantra and sold that as eloquently as Bush and Rove did.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies