Cain shocks Perry in Florida Straw Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:37:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Cain shocks Perry in Florida Straw Poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Cain shocks Perry in Florida Straw Poll  (Read 5108 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 10:19:09 PM »

So, how would Cain's nomination affect the Black vote?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 10:23:55 PM »

So, how would Cain's nomination affect the Black vote?

It wouldn't.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 10:29:35 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Uh-oh!

More seriously, I think that the results of this straw poll should be more worrying to Team Perry than the debate performance. It's not damaging in itself, to be sure, but the loss represents a big organizational failure on their part.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 10:35:27 PM »

I would so vote for Herman Cain.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 11:03:39 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2011, 11:15:52 PM by bryan »

Why isn't this also horrible news for Romney? He placed third, even worse than Perry. Why is Herman Cain beating Romney in a Florida straw poll?

I understand that Perry is the front runner, and front runners shouldn't be getting beat by Herman Cain, but Romney was the front runner until a few weeks ago and he's allowed to get by with a dismal third?

Yes, Perry pushed to win the straw poll and Romney wrote it off. But Romney's "writing off" the straw polls is not really working out, and the fact that he still placed behind Perry after thoroughly whooping him in the debate is very, very troubling.

Perry support seems to have gone over to Cain for the straw poll. Thus when Cain inevitably drops out, Perry benefits. He will also gain even more from Bachmann and Santorum dropping out. I don't want Rick Perry to be president, but everyone who was severely over-hyping him two weeks ago is now seriously underestimating him.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 11:08:17 PM »

Christie will run.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 11:15:52 PM »

Why isn't this also horrible news for Romney? He placed third, even worse than Perry. Why is Herman Cain beating Romney in a Florida straw poll?

Again, read this story:

President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 11:18:59 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2011, 11:28:41 PM by bryan »

Yeah, I "get" that Romney didn't contest Florida much. But he still should have done better, especially after his debate performance and because he was front runner for like four years.

Rick Perry would be a terrible president and his candidacy would irreversibly push me into the Obama camp for 2012. But I can't help but feel that everyone is overreacting to his performance in Florida. There is obviously going to be an adjustment period for a guy when he leaves his home turf and goes national, and that is what we are seeing. Perry was doing pretty well up until Florida - he aced his campaign roll out, unlike Huntsman who flubbed it after a similar media build up - and there's no reason to suggest than he can't become a better debater with time and practice.

Also, in the run up to 2010 we saw that grassroots Republicans don't necessarily want what the GOP elite wants. If the GOP establishment had its way, we would never have seen Christine O'Donnell or Ken Buck as Senate candidates. We'll have to watch whether opinion polls fluctuate or not, but Perry is like a grandfather to the tea party movement, and I'd be highly surprised if they turned their backs on him after one straw poll.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 11:20:10 PM »

Maybe he'd hit 10%?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 12:33:12 AM »

I remember.  I was sure I won that bet two months ago but what the heck just happened? Cain's fighting back?  Like the St. Louis Cardinals chasing the Braves for that wildcard spot, you're still alive.  Alright, that was unnecessary.  Sorry.
WillK

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 06:55:37 AM »

Why isn't this also horrible news for Romney?

Becuase Romney is the anointed one. 
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 07:02:17 AM »

Perry has the debating skills of a second grader. In fact, I've debated second graders who could pop a verbal cap in Perry's Texas ass.
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2011, 08:47:03 AM »

It looks like Rick Scott is thinking of endorsing Perry, he has changed tune from it being important, to the "clear conservative message sent" that is the line of the day from the Perry camp.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2011, 12:27:15 PM »

It looks like Rick Scott is thinking of endorsing Perry, he has changed tune from it being important, to the "clear conservative message sent" that is the line of the day from the Perry camp.

Would anyone want his endorsement?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2011, 12:31:53 PM »

More bad news for Perry.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2011, 12:55:21 PM »

He's not actually that disliked by Republicans, is he? I thought that his low job approval rating, like those of most elected Republicans, was driven by a lack of support among independents.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2011, 02:17:45 PM »

He's not actually that disliked by Republicans, is he? I thought that his low job approval rating, like those of most elected Republicans, was driven by a lack of support among independents.

Last poll I saw had Scott's ratings among GOP at 60ish percent.  Still a net positive, but pretty low.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2011, 02:43:05 PM »

I remember.  I was sure I won that bet two months ago but what the heck just happened? Cain's fighting back?  Like the St. Louis Cardinals chasing the Braves for that wildcard spot, you're still alive.  Alright, that was unnecessary.  Sorry.

Media's catching up.  Jeepers. Am I seriously losing this bet?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/64555.html

Your luck does seems to be strong this week as you got a little help from the heavens last night, or at least the Astros.  Magic number is two and even if something goes wrong the Red Sox collapse to Tampa Bay is taking the focus off you.  Hm.  There's some Tampa motif here but I can't sort it out.  Good luck.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2011, 05:28:58 PM »

Media's catching up.  Jeepers. Am I seriously losing this bet?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/64555.html

Your luck does seems to be strong this week as you got a little help from the heavens last night, or at least the Astros.  Magic number is two and even if something goes wrong the Red Sox collapse to Tampa Bay is taking the focus off you.  Hm.  There's some Tampa motif here but I can't sort it out.  Good luck.
Bahaha.

I'm as shocked as you are.  Consider it insider knowledge though; I am from do live in Georgia Wink
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2011, 02:05:33 AM »

Perry has proven himself to be another flavor of the month: Just like Trump and Bachmann.

Seems to me that another poster compared Perry to Trump a couple of weeks ago.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2011, 04:58:03 AM »

Given the article about how Perry actually tried, yeah, this is a major defeat for him. If a frontrunner competes actively in a straw poll they should win over the no-names. A narrow win is ok (like Bachmann in Iowa) and a narrow loss is embarrassing. But this?

Romney is doing pretty damn well, I must say. The time is running out for new challengers to emerge.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »

Romney is doing pretty damn well, I must say. The time is running out for new challengers to emerge.

Romney is a lot like McCain in 2008....we tried every alternative, but we ended up holding our noses and voting for McCain.

Right now, Herman Cain will be given another try.  GOP voters like his 9-9-9 plan, he's just needs to tone down the rhetoric in other areas

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2011, 12:43:59 PM »

Is his 9-9-9 plan realistic though? I'm convinced Romney will win it now barring Perry becoming competent.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2011, 12:59:52 PM »

Is his 9-9-9 plan realistic though? I'm convinced Romney will win it now barring Perry becoming competent.

I think Cain will be given another chance...but he has to tone it down.  Inflammatory remarks are unpresidential, and the GOP doesn't nominate inflammatory candidates.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2011, 04:14:35 PM »

I think Cain will be given another chance...but he has to tone it down.  Inflammatory remarks are unpresidential, and the GOP doesn't nominate inflammatory candidates.

Cain has a 0% of winning the nomination.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies