Bill Clinton vs. George Bush Jr. 2000
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:52:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bill Clinton vs. George Bush Jr. 2000
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Bill Clinton vs. George Bush Jr. 2000  (Read 11481 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »

What about Jeb wins in 94, and W. stands aside in 00?  IMO Jeb is a much better candidate and much more charismatic.  Or Whitman?  What Republican could take Slick Willy down?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 06:39:48 PM »

Clinton had around a low 60's/ high 50's approval rating on Election Day, that is tough to beat in any case. Plus close to about 70% of the country felt the economy was in good shape.  So the numbers don't lie.  The impeachment thing would have hurt him somewhat, but Clinton was popular enough to win easily.  If he ran against W., Clinton and his team would have been more masterful with the DUI scandal and it would have hurt Bush's chances a great deal more than it did in RL.

Clinton-
Bush-
JoeBlow

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »

Clinton was an embarrasement. he answered accusations like a 4 year old. For example "Did you smoke pot" ? was answered as would a 4 year old when caught with his fingers in the cookie jar ... "No Mom, I'm just counting them" ... vs. Clinton's "I smoked it but I didn't inhale" response. then of course his answer to having sex was ... the same 4 year old response to getting caught ... "uh, well what's your definition of sex?"

). Posted by Joe
Supporter of the Presidential Election car Shade campaign on Indiegogo. Show your support with a car shade!
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 08:05:44 PM »

Clinton 297-241
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 08:12:34 PM »

). Posted by Joe
Supporter of the Presidential Election car Shade campaign on Indiegogo. Show your support with a car shade!

There's this thing called a 'signature,' in case you weren't aware.
Tricky Dickie
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »

Close, but Clinton wins again.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 02:44:25 AM »

Clinton wins. Could be narrowly, but Clinton wins.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2012, 07:49:03 AM »

What about a Ralph Nader/Lewinsky ticket? Tongue LOL
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 09:55:56 PM »

Romneys going to have to court these voters this election as well.  Well maybe there's a realignment waiting for us this year; who knows?
I see another realignment as unlikely until one party begins to educate the base of the other (preferably Democrats to the Republican base) about what they really believe and start to make inroads with those voters.
Fix'd. lol

I kid, (sorta) but I'm a Democrat mainly because I know exactly what the Republican position is on pretty much every issue. Climate change denial, supply-side economics, hawkish foreign policy, no gay marriage, no abortions, yes to the death penalty, etc. I find these positions as attractive as a giant hornet. I would like to see the Dems do a better job of selling their "we're all in this together" mantra to the red states. It'd be an uphill battle, but enough grassroots and super-PAC money and enough time with a good enough orator and anything is possible.

Anyway... Gore ran an awful campaign. Clinton wouldn't have been so awful. He'd destroy the Bush tax cuts with his 2012 math style 12 years prior, and run on the economy and how awesome it is. He can even pull double-duty and lambast the Republicans for impeaching him (when most of the public didn't want him to be impeached) to try to take back congress. the Clinton coalition from '92 and '96 would mostly stand and we'd never hear from the bushes again. Until Jeb '04
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 09:58:23 PM »

Clinton wins.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 06:05:48 PM »

People liked Clinton, but maybe Nader would have done a little better because Clinton had a very moderate reputation and people might have gotten tired of him. I am thinking that he would have probably won the PV by 4 or 5 percent...or about half that he did in 1996. The election would have probably been a lot like 2012.

Clinton 49.9%
Bush 45.3%
Nader 4.1%

I think Nader could have broken 10% in Colorado and Alaska.

McCain would have beaten Gore in 2004 or Ridge would have been Clinton in 2004. This would have ushered in an "era of good feeling" if 9/11 hadn't happened with both very liberal and very conservative voices more or less being sidelined.

or if Clinton stayed on and narrowly won with the map that was on the top of this thread in 2004, when the cards crashed down in 2008, this would be the map against Santorum, Paul or Palin.

Basically a larger and perhaps more ideological 2008, with perhaps a young TEAParty ultraneoliberal/ultraevangelical/ultranationalist conservative,  1st term in major office minority or woman.

Paln/Enzi 56%
Gore/Obama 43%

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies