Barry Goldwater vs. 2012 GOP field
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:30:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Barry Goldwater vs. 2012 GOP field
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Barry Goldwater vs. 2012 GOP field  (Read 286 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2011, 03:22:15 AM »

People often credit Barry Goldwater as the true founder of modern conservatism. He was a martyr who died so that Reagan could live, giving birth to modern Republicans. Or that's the story line.

How does AuH2O stack up against the current field? Do these folks share anything with him? Is Ron Paul his truest heir?

Some choice quotes:

"I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in "A," "B," "C" and "D." Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me?
And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism.""

''Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them''

''When you say "radical right" today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party away from the Republican Party, and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye.''
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 08:05:14 AM »

If people like Barry still had some pull in the GOP, I'd still be in the GOP.  Or would at least more seriously give them a look come election time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies