2011 MLB Postseason
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:09:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2011 MLB Postseason
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: 2011 MLB Postseason  (Read 16670 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2011, 11:19:03 PM »

Three or four games left in the season. Playoffs start on Friday. Let's go.

I think the Red Sox will hang on for the AL Wild Card and the Cardinals will take the NL spot.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 11:22:11 PM »

Three or four games left in the season. Playoffs start on Friday. Let's go.

I think the Red Sox will hang on for the AL Wild Card and the Cardinals will take the NL spot.

Cards worry me, a little.  The hot team is especially scary in the short series.  As much as I friggin hate the braves, part of me wouldnt mind if we dropped 1...maybe 2 to allow them to hobble into the playoffs.
lowtech redneck
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:08:45 AM »

I'm rooting for the Braves, of course, but I'm not particularly optimistic at this point.  This month's meltdown has been historically bad.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 02:21:01 AM »

In order of preference:

1. Brewers
2. Tigers
3. Phillies
4. Rangers
5. Braves
6. Diamondbacks
7. Yankees
8. Red Sox

The Rays would be at the top and the Cardinals somewhere around the middle.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 11:13:38 AM »

You really prefer us more compared to Rangers or Braves?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 11:17:48 AM »

I'm rooting for the Braves, of course, but I'm not particularly optimistic at this point.  This month's meltdown has been historically bad.

^^^^^^^^
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 03:39:16 PM »

I don't have any particular hate for the Phillies. I will forever be grateful to Philadelphia for standing between Los Angeles and a pennant in 2008 and 2009. I put the Phillies above the Rangers because I prefer NL teams in general to AL teams, and because seeing the Bushes lose last year was pretty cool. (I don't like to mix politics and sports, but the Rangers started it by having them throw out the first pitches before Game 3.) The Braves bother me because they always win. Besides, all Giants fans bear a grudge toward the Braves for 1993, when the Giants went 103-59 and didn't make the playoffs.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 04:06:27 PM »

Chipper Jones delivered for me in All Star Baseball '99; I can only reciprocate the favor. I'd also prefer an 8th Boston championship over a Brewers or Cardinals victory.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 08:22:21 PM »

I don't have any particular hate for the Phillies. I will forever be grateful to Philadelphia for standing between Los Angeles and a pennant in 2008 and 2009. I put the Phillies above the Rangers because I prefer NL teams in general to AL teams, and because seeing the Bushes lose last year was pretty cool. (I don't like to mix politics and sports, but the Rangers started it by having them throw out the first pitches before Game 3.) The Braves bother me because they always win. Besides, all Giants fans bear a grudge toward the Braves for 1993, when the Giants went 103-59 and didn't make the playoffs.

Heh 1993.  We won the East Division and ultimately the Pennant with 97 wins (by contrast).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »

I felt grateful this afternoon when I read over the postseason series schedules and found out there are no days off besides travel days: God's will has been restored.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 08:48:30 PM »

I felt grateful this afternoon when I read over the postseason series schedules and found out there are no days off besides travel days: God's will has been restored.

I get a lot more annoyed when they schedule the LCS against the debates during election years.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »

I get a lot more annoyed when they schedule the LCS against the debates during election years.

I remember that from '04.  my mom was mad that I chose to watch Yankees-Sox Game 2 (I think it was game 2) instead of the Bush-Kerry debate.  on the other note, watching the Yankees romp through the playoffs in 2009 using only 3 starters, almost exclusively on full rest, left an indelible mark.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 09:05:59 PM »

I believe the Braves will make it in and give their opponent a tough series like last year. I am pulling for the Brewers to win the whole thing, a guy can dream anyway
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 09:06:24 PM »

Every year I ask for forgiveness for having supported the Red Sox in 2004.

Heh 1993.  We won the East Division and ultimately the Pennant with 97 wins (by contrast).

The 1973 Mets won 82 games and the pennant. The Giants won 88 games that year and finished in third place. There is no justice in this world.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 09:15:04 PM »

Heh 1993.  We won the East Division and ultimately the Pennant with 97 wins (by contrast).

The 1973 Mets won 82 games and the pennant. The Giants won 88 games that year and finished in third place. There is no justice in this world.

The 2006 Cards were 83-78 and won the freaking World Series. That NLCS still hurts.  I just hope the Red Sox continue their collapse and miss the playoffs.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 09:26:59 PM »

The 2006 Cards were 83-78 and won the freaking World Series. That NLCS still hurts.  I just hope the Red Sox continue their collapse and miss the playoffs.

a Baseball Prospectus (I think) study determined that the 2006 Cardinals were in fact inferior to at least a few NPL (Japanese professional) teams.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 09:45:46 PM »

Games two and three of the World Series will be during my aunt's wedding rehearsal (which wouldn't matter if I wasn't in the wedding) and wedding reception, respectively. Here's hopping the former starts and finishes well before game time. We'll definitely be able to watch during the latter.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 10:07:36 PM »

Games two and three of the World Series will be during my aunt's wedding rehearsal (which wouldn't matter if I wasn't in the wedding) and wedding reception, respectively. Here's hopping the former starts and finishes well before game time. We'll definitely be able to watch during the latter.

or we could just eliminate the Phillies in the DS or the CS and absolve ourselves of the entire issue.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 10:13:03 PM »

Dammit Cardinals, you have to keep choking so that our absurd choke doesn't matter!
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 10:14:06 PM »

Rays and Red Sox tied with two games left. The Red Sox do not deserve to make the playoffs at this point and will consider it a great miscarriage of justice if they make it.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 10:15:09 PM »

Dammit Cardinals, you have to keep choking so that our absurd choke doesn't matter!

They had a wonderful opportunity in the 8th today to take the lead, but couldn't get a run in from third with less than two outs. Exactly how my Angels played all year. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 10:15:19 PM »

Cards and Astros in the 10th. This should be fun.

or we could just eliminate the Phillies in the DS or the CS and absolve ourselves of the entire issue.

Yeah but I'd still want to watch.  Tongue

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 10:25:55 PM »

St. Louis lost to Houston...lol.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 11:27:06 PM »

Well, Houston is a pretty good team—oh, the 4-3 record the Astros had against the Giants wasn't representative of the quality of the team? Well, crap.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 02:18:22 AM »

Well, Houston is a pretty good team—oh, the 4-3 record the Astros had against the Giants wasn't representative of the quality of the team? Well, crap.

Houston's always played us pretty well considering they're supposed to be a bottom feeder.

Houston, Washington and Pittsburgh have played us tougher than their records indicate they should.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies