2011 MLB Postseason
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:24:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2011 MLB Postseason
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: 2011 MLB Postseason  (Read 16713 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2011, 09:14:09 PM »

9 more outs!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2011, 09:44:47 PM »

Well, you got the momentum back.  Now, what are they going to do with it?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2011, 09:51:15 PM »

I cracked on Philly fan booing every pick off move to first base (and they still do), but I'll give them credit for not freaking out over close calls that don't go there way like some fans will.

...and a Philly just reached base after striking out, you don't see that very much.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2011, 10:08:07 PM »

Smiley
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2011, 10:59:16 PM »

Congrats to St. Louis.  It pains me to say that, but they played the better baseball this series.

Gonna be a long offseason.  Real long...hopefully RAJ makes the right moves.

Side note...lol to Andy Reid...he no longer has the Phillies for cover...and with the Phils phailure...fan base is gonna be angrier.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2011, 11:12:08 PM »

No words. 
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2011, 11:14:16 PM »

Howard has Achilles injury...if ruptured...could miss most if not all of next year.  Ouch.  Cant have that salary not produce.  Hopefully Mayberry can step up.  Phils gotta continue spending money.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2011, 04:08:23 AM »

I was pleased to wake up this morning and find the score! My Cardinals even proved me wrong. I thought they would get dominated by the Phillies in this series, but the Cardinals still had momentum from the end of the regular season.  Now, we are set for a classic NL Central showdown between the Milwaukee Brewers and the St Louis Cardinals.

This year's World Series won't have any of the suspects that we thought about at the beginning of the season.  No Yankees, No Red Sox, No Rays, No Phillies, No Braves, No Giants.  We have 4 teams left and all from pretty much the center of the country.  Detroit is the only team that borders on the center and the eastern part of the country and the only team in the Eastern Time Zone.  The other 3 are Central Time Zone inhabitants.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2011, 11:18:51 AM »

This year's World Series won't have any of the suspects that we thought about at the beginning of the season.  No Yankees, No Red Sox, No Rays, No Phillies, No Braves, No Giants.  We have 4 teams left and all from pretty much the center of the country.  Detroit is the only team that borders on the center and the eastern part of the country and the only team in the Eastern Time Zone.  The other 3 are Central Time Zone inhabitants.

Yeah!  MLB and FOX are estatic over the potential ratings!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2011, 01:01:56 PM »

This year's World Series won't have any of the suspects that we thought about at the beginning of the season.  No Yankees, No Red Sox, No Rays, No Phillies, No Braves, No Giants.  We have 4 teams left and all from pretty much the center of the country.  Detroit is the only team that borders on the center and the eastern part of the country and the only team in the Eastern Time Zone.  The other 3 are Central Time Zone inhabitants.

Yeah!  MLB and FOX are estatic over the potential ratings!

Ratings, Schmatings.  Any World Series without the Yankees or Red Sox especially are great years!

The networks may hate the potential ratings, but the fans could care less about ratings.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2011, 09:42:48 PM »

This year's World Series won't have any of the suspects that we thought about at the beginning of the season.  No Yankees, No Red Sox, No Rays, No Phillies, No Braves, No Giants.  We have 4 teams left and all from pretty much the center of the country.  Detroit is the only team that borders on the center and the eastern part of the country and the only team in the Eastern Time Zone.  The other 3 are Central Time Zone inhabitants.

Yeah!  MLB and FOX are estatic over the potential ratings!

Ratings, Schmatings.  Any World Series without the Yankees or Red Sox especially are great years!

The networks may hate the potential ratings, but the fans could care less about ratings.

But the ratings are the fans...

Anyway, don't you guys love small sample sizes?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2011, 06:59:13 AM »

Ratings, Schmatings.  Any World Series without the Yankees or Red Sox especially are great years!

I see where you're coming from that ratings are the fans, but the fans don't care about the ratings.

Yes, we do like small sample sizes.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2011, 07:04:59 AM »

Anyway, I was glad to see the Rangers won last night after two rain delays.  It would be wonderful to see my two favorite teams in the World Series, St Louis Cardinals and Texas Rangers.  My heart would be torn, and I'd have to go with St Louis, but it would be pretty neat.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2011, 09:50:15 AM »

Ratings, Schmatings.  Any World Series without the Yankees or Red Sox especially are great years!

I see where you're coming from that ratings are the fans, but the fans don't care about the ratings.

Yes, we do like small sample sizes.

Baseball doesn't (and shouldn't) care about the fans who will watch come hell or high water. Those are, yes, the most dedicated fans, but it's the ones on the margins who matter.

And I imagine you would, since you seem to be rooting for all the inferior teams.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2011, 06:44:21 PM »

Brewers win game one. Greinke was pretty bad again, though. It looks like they really need to win tomorrow because the pitching matchups for Games 3 and 4 in St. Louis are pretty brutal for Milwaukee.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2011, 08:47:42 PM »

I hate that the playoffs exist. Ideally there would be two teams in the postseason, although four is acceptable.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2011, 07:48:50 PM »

Nelson Cruz just hit the first official walk-off grand slam in postseason history. Robin Ventura's didn't count. Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2011, 08:27:12 PM »

The win probability graph is disappointing as far as walk-off grand slams go:

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #143 on: October 11, 2011, 12:37:39 PM »

I'll be rooting for whoever wins the ALCS in the World Series.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2011, 12:44:52 PM »

so the Tigers were playing the last 4-5 innings entirely in enemy territory.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #145 on: October 11, 2011, 08:48:40 PM »

By definition, wouldn't the win probability graph be disappointing for any walk-off grand?  A team only needs one single, walk, or balk to win and unless there are two outs, there are a number of sacrifice possibilities as well.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2011, 09:56:02 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2011, 10:00:10 PM by realisticidealist »

By definition, wouldn't the win probability graph be disappointing for any walk-off grand?  A team only needs one single, walk, or balk to win and unless there are two outs, there are a number of sacrifice possibilities as well.

Two outs, down by three would lead to a very high WPA. For example, Ryan Roberts walk-off GS on Sept 27 for Arizona had a 91% WPA.

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2011, 10:52:30 PM »

And Theo Epstein Is becoming the new GM of the Cubs. The curse shall be broken.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2011, 11:30:54 AM »

Milwaukee and St Louis are knotted up at 1 game a piece going into tonight's Game 3.  The series shifts to St Louis for games 3, 4, and 5.  St Louis took Game 2 in Milwaukee.  Do you think there's a chance, with Carpenter going tonight, Lohse tomorrow night, and Garcia Friday night that the Cardinals could wrap this series up at home and avoid having to travel back to Milwaukee and instead packing their bags for either Arlington or Detroit?

I think it's conceivable, but I think the series will shift back to Milwaukee, but I think the Cardinals will win the pennant in 6 or 7 games.

As for the ALCS, Texas has a 2-1 lead going into tonight's Game 4 in Detroit.  I have a feeling Texas will take it at home in Arlington in 6.  I don't see the Tigers being able to stretch it to a 7th game.

This is my analysis at the midway point of the LCS.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »

By definition, wouldn't the win probability graph be disappointing for any walk-off grand?  A team only needs one single, walk, or balk to win and unless there are two outs, there are a number of sacrifice possibilities as well.

Only if the game is tied before the grand slam.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies